lift kit for 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > lift kit for 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
LiftedCrdKj

lift kit for 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel?

I' m new to these forums, just signed up today actually. But I'm looking at getting an 06 liberty crd. The only thing holding me back is that I can't seem to find a lift kit for it. I want a suspension lift atleast 3" but wouldn't want to go much higher than that too, 4.5" at the most I would think. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to add any help. Thanks for any input.

LiftedCrdKj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

How deep are your pockets haha? 2.25-3 inches of lift on a CRD would run less than a thousand to do. 4 inches is a bit more tricky and costs go through the roof.

I'd avoid spacer lifts especially on a CRD and look into full spring lifts on JBA (jeepinbyal.com). They have the front springs to lift the heavy front end and cost the same as a gasser.

OME 790 springs are used to lift CRD upfront and even though they are advertised at 1.5" lift you should settle out at 2.25". From there you can add a clevis lift and/or strut plate upfront and rear isolators in the rear for 3" lift all around.

04 KJ Limited - OME 927/948 General Grabber AT2 247/75/16
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

I have an 06 CRD. This is what I used. http://jeepinbyal.com/
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedCrdKj View Post
I' m new to these forums, just signed up today actually. But I'm looking at getting an 06 liberty crd. The only thing holding me back is that I can't seem to find a lift kit for it. I want a suspension lift atleast 3" but wouldn't want to go much higher than that too, 4.5" at the most I would think. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to add any help. Thanks for any input.
First Post - Welcome to JF -

Without a doubt, go with the OME springs and shocks package for your CRD. Jeepin by Al or All J's will be your best bet for sourcing parts. One of the 2 best things done to mine.

Depending on how many miles on your rig & how much sag you have on the factory suspension - you will see 2.5 to 3" of lift. Too much lift on a CRD and you will be eating your front CV's.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 04-13-2012 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: more info
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
BennyVee

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

My dad has an 05 Liberty CRD that he would like me to source a lift kit for. He's not into crazy rock crawling or anything, but he does a fair amount of towing with it, and I'm guessing he's wanting a lift to safely make it down some of the old, regrown logging roads in northern Maine; 18" ruts, downed trees, a boulder here and there.

He was thinking ~2" because he didn't want to have to buy/change too many components, and had seen some kits for $200-400. To me, that sounds like either junk hardware, or a simple spacer lift that might ultimately cause more problems down the road?

What are his options, realistically, for getting a worthwhile lift, period? Are there indeed 2" spacers lift kits that retain the stock springs and struts that would actually work without destroying the stock struts/ride? Or is he into at least 4 new springs and maybe new rear stuts?

I have a fair amount of experience & knowledge regarding suspension in the street car tuning world, (my WRX is one fast, faaast.... money pit), so I'm confident I could help with the install, (and in convincing him what he does /doesn't need), I just currently know nothing about the Liberty's suspension, or the aftermarket dos-donts of off-road suspension.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
BennyVee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyVee View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

My dad has an 05 Liberty CRD that he would like me to source a lift kit for. He's not into crazy rock crawling or anything, but he does a fair amount of towing with it, and I'm guessing he's wanting a lift to safely make it down some of the old, regrown logging roads in northern Maine; 18" ruts, downed trees, a boulder here and there.

He was thinking ~2" because he didn't want to have to buy/change too many components, and had seen some kits for $200-400. To me, that sounds like either junk hardware, or a simple spacer lift that might ultimately cause more problems down the road?

What are his options, realistically, for getting a worthwhile lift, period? Are there indeed 2" spacers lift kits that retain the stock springs and struts that would actually work without destroying the stock struts/ride? Or is he into at least 4 new springs and maybe new rear stuts?

I have a fair amount of experience & knowledge regarding suspension in the street car tuning world, (my WRX is one fast, faaast.... money pit), so I'm confident I could help with the install, (and in convincing him what he does /doesn't need), I just currently know nothing about the Liberty's suspension, or the aftermarket dos-donts of off-road suspension.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Read posts #2/#3/#4 for your answers,nothing has changed.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
BennyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Read posts #2/#3/#4 for your answers,nothing has changed.
Really doesn't answer my questions...

#2 - Why no spacers on a CRD? What negative affect do they have? Will they just not work? Will they blow the strut? etc..

#3 - that's just the entire website

#4 - And if only 2" is all that's desired? Again, spacers not an option? I understand the CV joint concern on excessive changes to the geometry.

I get that OME is the preferred kit here, but I just want to know a little more about how/why the OME and nothing less. And if the JBA arms are necessary / worthwhile?
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyVee View Post
Really doesn't answer my questions...

#2 - Why no spacers on a CRD? What negative affect do they have? Will they just not work? Will they blow the strut? etc..

#3 - that's just the entire website

#4 - And if only 2" is all that's desired? Again, spacers not an option? I understand the CV joint concern on excessive changes to the geometry.

I get that OME is the preferred kit here, but I just want to know a little more about how/why the OME and nothing less. And if the JBA arms are necessary / worthwhile?
#2--Sagged coils,adding pre-load just makes them sag faster and gives a harsh ride which effects more then just ride.Not a good idea on any IFS to use spacers and OEM coils just sag fast on a KJ,known fact.After a few months,and wanting new kidneys,your back down to the height you started at and having rubbing issues with the larger then stock tires you also added.Also OTT(Over The Top) spacer lifts love to kill shocks fast,even with extended bumpstops they still blow shocks fast.

#3--You can look at the CRD stuff

#4--Due to having to move the diff over to allow oil pan clearance the drivers side CV on a CRD is alot shorter then the 3.7 KJ thus limiting the lift you can do before you start destroying the driver side CV joints(inner).

OME is the only company that makes CRD rated coils that is easily obtained in the US.OME 790's for the front and OME 948's for the rear with the matched shocks front and rear.JBA's UCA's are worth it and you will want TerraFlex's extended bumpstops also.
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BennyVee

If your Dad would like to lift the CRD a couple of inches, as already mentioned - spacers are just not going to cut it at all. The factory coils are already pretty well worn, a spacer will just quickly add to the demise of what is left of them.

Might as well do it correctly the first time around & then there are a lot less worries. And you or most likely your Dad won't be throwing good money into redoing a bad choice. Many members here have been around this track a time or two, just trying to save you a few headaches, time , and money is all.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes do it right the first time and spend 1200 or so ( OME full spring lift with new shocks and JeepinByAl upper control arms ) Advertised at 1.5 inches but you get about 2.5 in the real world
or do it wrong spend 3-400, then whatever else it tears up, plus the 1200 later after you redo it
Ride and handling will be 200 times better than what it was new stock
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
BennyVee

tjkj2002, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

There are plenty of similar bad shortcuts in the tuning world that end up costing double in the long run, (wheel spacers, ebay intercoolers or headers, cheap wheels, etc) and I assumed spacer lift kits were a similar bad idea, I just didn't know the technical explanation as to why, and if there were different kinds. That all makes sense though if it's actually just preloading the spring vs modifying the connection point of the assembly. (I guess it's not a coilover though that wouldn't really work at all anyway...)

"OME 790's for the front and OME 948's for the rear with the matched shocks front and rear. JBA's UCA's are worth it and you will want TerraFlex's extended bumpstops also."

That sounds like the ticket. I suspect $1100+ is a lot more than my dad wants to spend, but I agree this sounds like something worth doing once, and therefor worth doing right, or not at all.

Tags
crd , kj , liberty , lift , lifted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.