Liberty Takes Multiple Attempts to Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty Takes Multiple Attempts to Start

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Automatic539

Liberty Takes Multiple Attempts to Start

2006 Jeep liberty Sport 3.7L. I already replaced fuel pump (which burnt out). I turn the key in the ignition and the Jeep will crank but not turn over. I usually have to turn the key 90% of the way to fill the fuel lines (or something), turn the key back off ( do this a couple of times), then turn the key to crank while I pump the throttle to start the Jeep. What gives? My Jeep is literally falling apart, but this it a big issue and I don't have a lot of money. I'm sure I can do the repair myself but I don't know what the problem is. Please help.

Automatic539 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
leth
2003 KJ Liberty 

Once it starts, does it run good?

Since it sounds like it could be fuel related, I'd start by getting the fuel pressure tested. if it's low or not holding pressure then start down then you know your problem is due to lack of fuel.

Also, is the Check Engine Light on? If so, get the codes scanned to see if they indicate anything.
leth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Pumping the throttle doesn't do anything on Fuel Injected cars. This was done on cars with a carburetor to get the accellerator pump to squirt gas into the intake.

New fuel pump might be bad.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Automatic539

Yeah, once it's started it runs good. I've read on this forum before about a broken "check valve" causing the fuel to drain back into the gas take when the vehicle is turned off. But I'm not sure where this check valve might be. Also, in another thread someone mentioned an issue with the position of the Libertys' fuel filter, and needing to get an upgrade kit. Sounds $$$$ to me. What do you guys thinks?
Automatic539 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
leth
2003 KJ Liberty 

Could be .. if it is the check valve, you will see the fuel pressure drop once the vehicle is turned off. I would just check the fuel pressure to ensure it's really a fuel problem before spending any time or money on guessing and blindly replacing parts. I read something online recently about a guy using a bike pump to check fuel pressure, although I didn't read too closely on how he did it. Some parts stores will loan/rent tools, so see if they have a fuel pressure guage you can use. Or just find a local garage and slip the guy a $20 check it for you.
leth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
x99j

-pressure check like is recommended.

-also need details on fuel pump replacement:

did you repalce the whole module?

was it and aftermarket branded fuel pump?
(some aftermarket pumps can be of low quality)

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
morgan1011

so did you ever figure this out? My 2006 Liberty is doing the same thing now!!
morgan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel pump , liberty , start problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.