Liberty Roof rack install question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
wfl1974

Liberty Roof rack install question

I just bought an 02 Liberty and it has no roof rack...I have found 3 sets at a local salvage in good shape...my question is how difficult are these to install or does it have to be done by the dealer?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-07-2006, 06:05 PM
jame

This is my first post, as I'm a new '06 CRD owner as of July.

Having done a few things like this on other cars, trucks, tractors, etc., my most important suggestion is "DON'T for get the basics!"

Like "how tall is your garage door and how tall will your Jeep be", basics.

Saving money is always cool, but a new garage door can run into the thousands.

Otherwise, start turning those wrenches.....
post #3 of 14 Old 09-07-2006, 07:17 PM
jeepjeepster

To take them off, pop the plastic things off at each end and take the bolts out. To put them in, put the bolts in, put the plastic back on each end...

post #4 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
wfl1974

RE: Roof Rack

Are there existing holes in the roof for the bolts? I looked at how the used rack came off and, you're right, its really simple...however, am I going to have to drill holes or are they already there? The black strips need to come off of mine to make room for the new ones...do the "new ones" need any special tape or velcro or anything? Sorry for the gazillion questions.
Thanks
post #5 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Maximum Carnage
2002 KJ Liberty 

Try this site a lot more info about Libertys. Good luck

www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/
post #6 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM
jeepjeepster

Holes are already there. DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING!!! I believe there are some black pieces that come off and they go there. A friend of mine went to a dealership to get them installed and they drill holes in his roof. They then found the other holes.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Carnage
Try this site a lot more info about Libertys. Good luck

www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/

Again, answer the guys question. If you post a link, be sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a specific solution. Not just another website. Are you getting a commision for folks you lure over to the dark side? Just kidding. LOST is a good site but do you think what you are doing is appropriate?

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #8 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
wfl1974

drilling

If the holes are alrady there then I'm good to go...I can do the chnge out...many thanks...I bought this at a wholesale auction...an acquaintance of mine is a dealer so I went with him...its an '02 Liberty Sport silver series...my first Jeep product...so far pretty happy with it...but I've found a few little things that need to be addressed/fixed...hopefully I won't ask too many dumb questions. My next question I'll post in a new thread I suppose...regarding the rear gate lock...its always sticking...more often than not I can't get it unlocked...quite frustrating.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfl1974
If the holes are alrady there then I'm good to go...I can do the chnge out...many thanks...I bought this at a wholesale auction...an acquaintance of mine is a dealer so I went with him...its an '02 Liberty Sport silver series...my first Jeep product...so far pretty happy with it...but I've found a few little things that need to be addressed/fixed...hopefully I won't ask too many dumb questions. My next question I'll post in a new thread I suppose...regarding the rear gate lock...its always sticking...more often than not I can't get it unlocked...quite frustrating.

Dumb questions do not exist.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM
jeepjeepster

Hmm, do you unlock it with the key? Or with the key fob? Ive never heard of that one?
post #11 of 14 Old 09-08-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
wfl1974

rear lock

I have the model that only uses the key...quite irritating at times
post #12 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Maximum Carnage
2002 KJ Liberty 

The L.O.S.T. website is a lot more informative on Liberty, it has tons more info that Jeepforum.com. For the matter of it being appropriate, why wouldn’t it? Let’s just got more mud on the Jeep.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Carnage
The L.O.S.T. website is a lot more informative on Liberty, it has tons more info that Jeepforum.com. For the matter of it being appropriate, why wouldn’t it? Let’s just got more mud on the Jeep.
It is a good site. I visit there often. It wouldn't be appropriate to the folks at Walmart, to come in their front door banging a drum saying there is cheaper toilet paper over at K-Mart. The folks that sponser this site do it for cash, true, but WE get the benefit for free. We shouldn't abuse that.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 PM
lucas/liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
Again, answer the guys question. If you post a link, be sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a specific solution. Not just another website. Are you getting a commision for folks you lure over to the dark side? Just kidding. LOST is a good site but do you think what you are doing is appropriate?
hahaha i agree with him

...you dont stop playing just because you get old, you get old because you stop playing...
...If a man speaks in the woods where there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wife=2002 jeep liberty sports traded it in for an RX330 lexus
===2007 nissan Xterra X

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.