Liberty Rattling Noise when AC on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty Rattling Noise when AC on

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
sebastien7

Liberty Rattling Noise when AC on

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport. When I turn on the AC there is a loud rattling sound coming from near the tension pulley/compressor area as best I can tell. I've the whole tension pulley assembly and put a new belt on it about a month ago so I don't think it could be that. It goes away when I turn the AC off or accelerate. I read somewhere it might be the ac compressor clutch but want to make sure before I start replacing items - any ideas?

Thanks.

sebastien7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
PeteH

What did you do to the pulley assembly. Your post is missing a word or two. It was the tensioner assembly, not the pulley bearings on our 03. I bought the entire assembly with both pulleys from NAPA for @ 50 or 60 bucks. Only made noise when the A/C compressor first came on in the morning or after a cool down.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
sebastien7

sorry I meant I replaced the whole assembly
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
PeteH

Buy a cheap mechanic's stethoscope and pinpoint the noise. Hopefully cheap and easy.
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
John317

Bad Tensioner, some manufacturers products are known not to last to long.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317 View Post
Bad Tensioner, some manufacturers products are known not to last to long.
Yep it's bad tensioner.
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
sebastien7

Everyone thinks its a defective tensioner? I changed the whole assembly about a month ago. I guess I could swap it out for a new one again and see if that works. If it doesn't I guess I can just return it.
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
sebastien7

Again, it doesn't make any noise until the AC is on.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
PeteH

Bad tensioner makes a snapping/ rattling noise. Like a loud clicking/knocking that is not consistent. It really does not increase in frequency when you up the rpm's a tiny bit. It does go away when you accelerate.You will see the timing belt/tensioner jump around a little.
The A/C compressor makes a steady rattling noise that increases in frequency when you increase rpm slightly. It may or may not go away with acceleration.

The tensioner is cheaper than the compressor.
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien7 View Post
Everyone thinks its a defective tensioner? I changed the whole assembly about a month ago. I guess I could swap it out for a new one again and see if that works. If it doesn't I guess I can just return it.
Just because you replaced something a month ago, does not mean it's of decent quality, or could be defective. A lot of times the tensioner will rattle, and you'll see the pulley jumping, when you put a heavy load on the belt system, like the compressor. Also verify you have no wobbling pulleys too. Seen too many people try to pry off their power steering pulleys over the years. I once bought an advance auto parts tensioner for a car I used to have, it was all I could get and I was in a real bind. Rattled from the time I put the thing on, till it spilled its guts.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
sebastien7

Thanks everyone for the insight - greatly appreciate it. I will replace the tensioner again and hopefully it works. The last one I bought was off a vendor on ebay. Does anyone recommend a vendor or brand of higher quality?
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
John317

I would suggest you google it and draw your own conclusions. Not being a smarty but dont have long term results to post a reliable result. There are however numerous posts on this. That being said I went with a Gates from NAPA. The autozone Dayco did not have a good review. And they were only $4 dif in price.
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight - greatly appreciate it. I will replace the tensioner again and hopefully it works. The last one I bought was off a vendor on ebay. Does anyone recommend a vendor or brand of higher quality?
No wonder why it failed so soon.

Goodyear tensioner and Gates tensioners are good,nothing really wrong with a dayco tensioner as it's 100 times better then the OEM one and those no named versions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.