Liberty Power Steering Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty Power Steering Leak

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
sdj1704

Liberty Power Steering Leak

Just took my wife's liberty in for an oil change at the local Firestone. About a week ago I noticed a small leak. I took a look and it appeared oil was coming from the oil filter, I couldnt tighten it so hoped that the oil change would resolve it.

This morning at Firestone, the mechanic showed me that it wasnt oil but power steering fluid. He couldnt tell if it was the hose, sensor or reservoir that was leaking and when he looked into pricing the parts couldnt find any in the system.

So my plan is to either take it to the dealer (groan) or research and try something myself. Ive done brakes, plugs etc before but never worked on the power steering. I have a Haynes manual which I am about to study but thought I would post here also in case anyone has any direction?

I think first I should clean the area up to try and identify the origin of the leak.

Any suggestions/comments would be great.
Thanks

sdj1704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Shewb

Just did the power steering pump on a MY02 Liberty 3.7l. It was pretty straight forward. You will need a power steering pump pully removal tool. You can borrow one from AutoZone or Advance auto parts.
Shewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
chris-jk-kj
2002 KJ Liberty 

i just replaced my ps pump as well but with leak

i just replaced the pump but can not get the high pressure hose to seal on the pump. dripping/streaming like mad. i replaced the o-ring that came with the pump with no success, also swapped the the female fitting in the new pump with the original one reading something of metric vs standard causing leak. 02 liberty 3.7 too... i'm thinking that maybe the hp hose needs to be replaced as well, some sort of blockage causeing too much backpressure where the o-ring seal to the pump can't handle the pressure... any ideas?
chris-jk-kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
rmnoonan

power steering leak

I just had the hose replaced for a leak...not sure if its covered yet. Also had one of my axle seals replaced covered under powertrain warranty.
rmnoonan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.