Liberty with no speedo or cruise???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty with no speedo or cruise????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
JeepLDon
2003 KJ Liberty 

Liberty with no speedo or cruise????

Hello, I have a 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4 and the cruise does not work properly as does the speedo. The speedo bounces around until the brake is applied a few times then steadies out, at the wrong speed reading. The cruise is probably not working because of this erratic behaviour.
The Mopar dealer has gone through the wiring, supposedly and the problem was fixed for about 2 days then went right back to being erratic. I am thinking that the brake light switch might be at fault or the electrics to the cruise from the ECM or PCM. Everything else works fine and the car drives and shifts perfectly, so I am not suspecting the speed sensors.

Any suggestions? The wire pinched at the brake line is not an issue here.

JeepLDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepLDon View Post
Hello, I have a 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4 and the cruise does not work properly as does the speedo. The speedo bounces around until the brake is applied a few times then steadies out, at the wrong speed reading. The cruise is probably not working because of this erratic behaviour.
The Mopar dealer has gone through the wiring, supposedly and the problem was fixed for about 2 days then went right back to being erratic. I am thinking that the brake light switch might be at fault or the electrics to the cruise from the ECM or PCM. Everything else works fine and the car drives and shifts perfectly, so I am not suspecting the speed sensors.

Any suggestions? The wire pinched at the brake line is not an issue here.
I would say you still have a wiring problem,or a bad speed sensor.If it worked after repair then stoped,then recheck what they did.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
JeepLDon
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just tonight on the drive home the check engine MIL came on, so tomorrow I will check and see what code may be set this time. Last time it was a generic P0500, indicating a malfunction with a speed sensor w/manual trans!?
I have an auto w/od and manual transfer case.
JeepLDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
sweepnchoke
2002 KJ Liberty 

Had the same issues on my wife's, and it was bad connection to the rear speed sensor. Cable was chaffed right at the plug for the speed sensor. Trimmed and resoldered the connection, speedo and cruise working with no issues.
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepnchoke View Post
Had the same issues on my wife's, and it was bad connection to the rear speed sensor. Cable was chaffed right at the plug for the speed sensor. Trimmed and resoldered the connection, speedo and cruise working with no issues.
Can you describe where about the rear sensor is located please :-)

Thanks
Andy
AndyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
troyford417
2002 KJ Liberty 

hey Andy, the speed sensor is located on top of the rear differential/axle. Mine went out and gave the same problems your having. Dealer part and was expensive but problem solved...
troyford417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
AndyTee
2002 KJ Liberty 

MAny thanks. I'll get that checked (I'm offshore at the moment and will have to relay this info back home). The caris cutting out when you approach a junction or roundabout and the code P0500 is coming up on the console.

Thanks again
andy
AndyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Tkarner03
2002 KJ Liberty 

Question?! im having the same problem but when i put it in nuetral (5 speed), it dies. after restart it runs and idles fine until clutch in engaged again. is this all related?
Tkarner03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control , liberty , speedometer , sport

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.