Liberty Cylinder Misfire / Computer issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty Cylinder Misfire / Computer issue?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Rach

Liberty Cylinder Misfire / Computer issue?

My 2003 Jeep Liberty started shaking and engine light turned on in December. The code was cylinder #3 misfire. My husband (mechanic) replaced the spark plugs, and the misfire continued. He changed the coil and the misfire continued.

We took it to the shop (not a Jeep dealership) and they tried switching the coils around and they said the codes kept changing. It would go from cylinder #3 misfire to other cylinder misfires, not coorelating with the coil that they had moved. (It would misfire a couple different random cylinders at the same time, with no pattern.) They gave up and said to take it to the Jeep dealership because they thought it might be a computer issue.

They cleared the codes, and my Liberty was running great for a few months so I didn't take it to the Jeep dealership. Now the misfire (and engine light) are back! The weird thing is that it will do it constantly while I'm driving, but if I pull over, turn the Liberty off, then start it up again, it will run just fine, without misfiring!

I'd appreciate any advice! I don't want to take it to the dealership and spend a fortune!

Last edited by Rach; 04-25-2008 at 12:09 PM..
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
jeepjeepster

If they switched the coils around and the code changed then its kinda obvious its a bad coil.

Here is the firing order so you will know which coil is which:

Front
1 2
3 4
5 6
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Rach

No, the code didn't follow the coil when it was put in a different spot. (They would have recognized that...) When they moved the coil to a different spot, it would misfire two different cylinders (like #3 and #5, #1 and #6, etc) There wasn't any kind of pattern, it was just random misfires.
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
hades2k

Mine has the same problem

Mine has the same problem. Started about a week ago.
I turn off the key, start the car up again, and it's running fine!
Did you solve your problem? If you did, please tell me how....
//Jack
hades2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Mafioso
2005 KJ Liberty 

Maybe this will help...?

I had the same problem for 2 months until yesterday... Mine was slightly different, the check engine light never came on... You've already changed plugs and wires (this solved the problem for me) AND switched the coils around... So that leaves possibly 2 more culprits-throttle sensor & crankshaft sensor (which would have been my next course of action if the new spark plugs and wires did not correct the problem). Hope this helps.
Unread 05-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
jeepjeepster

I must of missed where you said it didnt follow the coils.

The 3.7 doesnt have wires mafioso.

If it was the TPS or crank sensor I would think it would throw a code for those. Its possible though.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
HandsomeMac
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Misfire

I just read your post from 2008 re your Jeep misfiring. You described exactly what mine has been doing off and on for a year now. I replaced the Crank Sensor, the coil, the plugs, the MAP sensor, and now the mechanics are completely baffled. Did you ever find your problem? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

HandsomeMac
HandsomeMac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
RMRSRT
2002 KJ Liberty 

I had a cylinder misfire issue which turned out to be low compression on my valve with the misfire. Took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a valve job. I got both banks done under warranty.
RMRSRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

My 2002 Libby started doing this earlier this week, the #6 cylinder misfiring.

Started it up Monday morning then went downtown to stop a couple of places, it was running just fine. First stop was at Staple's, then when I came out and started my jeep, it felt like it was idling kinda rough. So I revved it some to try and clear what ever the problem was and headed to the supermarket for a bit. It ran fine except when the RPM's got were low, then it'd be rough again.

When I came out of the supermarket, after I started it there was the same problem. But when I went to backup, the roughness made it feel almost as if it was lurching a bit as if the four wheel drive was engaged and fighting rough ground. Was kinda worried that the jeep would die there in the parking lot.

By the time I got home, it seemed to be running normally again. Didn't drive it again until this afternoon and the roughness was kinda worse and you could hear it the way the engine was running. I decided right then to bring it straight to the garage at the end of our street. They thought it might be the EGR valve or something else along those lines.

They called me back this evening saying my jeep was ready. They did a diagnostic on it and they checked the wires, coil, pulled and cleaned the plugs. They say it's running fine now, but they said there was a funny odor like cat urine in the cylinder that was misfiring when they pulled the plugs.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but seeing as they had an opening tomorrow, I scheduled it to have an oil change and to have them check the entire vehicle out to see if it needs to have anything done, including the suspension.

I just hope the misfiring issue doesn't return and if it does, I hope that it doesn't need a valve job. I was hoping to use that money for some other stuff that needs doing this year and I'm kinda hoping to be able to install an OME HD lift kit if we have enough money left.

Then again, it probably didn't help matters that my jeep sat most of this winter and in the last six months, I put only 1000 miles on it.
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
RMRSRT
2002 KJ Liberty 

It's amazing that if you pamper your car too much or dont drive it enough it can actually be detrimental. I think my problem stemmed from my wife not driving the truck enough and taking too short of trips and not allowing the engine to ever reach a hot enough temperature especially during the winter.
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
timofthejeep

Change the ASD relay in the engine compartment fuse box front of the battery.
timofthejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
RMRSRT
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthejeep View Post
Change the ASD relay in the engine compartment fuse box front of the battery.
How much did you pay for the relay? I've had both valve banks done and I still have a rough idle maybe I'll try this.
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
timofthejeep

I got the relay from parts plus about 8 dollars. As a test you can swap the ASD anad the blower relays in the fuse box. They are both the same type relay sitting next to each other in the fuse box next to the battery.
timofthejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
islandpride_671

if anyone can help. i have a 02 jeep liberty 4wd limited.. my engine light came on n i had it checked, they said it was tps sensor, i change it but engine still sounds like misfiring or spottering...i change fuel filter addedd fuel injection cleaner and changed spark pluggs, but still the same. can anyone help? i dont know what 2 do no more...
islandpride_671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Renegade_Dragon
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hope this may be of some help.

Check out the links in this linked post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.