Liberty CRD Highest Odometer Reading? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM
tim273

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrutsch
The MB 3.0L is a newer and cleaner engine than the VM 2.8L.

And, considering that a CRD WK/XK is gonna cost $40k+ they can justify fancy things like regenerative particulate filters that they couldn't on a CRD KJ that costs a little more than half that.
I thought I heard the Liberty had a MB engine? I could be wrong of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim273
I thought I heard the Liberty had a MB engine? I could be wrong of course.

Well, this is a big can of worms for some folks, but I'll crack it open. Yes and NO. DCX ownes MB I think, and they also own Jeep. The V Motori diesel engine in the CRD is made in the same plant as some of the MB engines. In fact, the VM-CRD engine has some MB parts on it. Soooooooo, it is and it isn't. OK, bring on some more can openers.

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
post #33 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
Well, this is a big can of worms for some folks, but I'll crack it open. Yes and NO. DCX ownes MB I think, and they also own Jeep. The V Motori diesel engine in the CRD is made in the same plant as some of the MB engines. In fact, the VM-CRD engine has some MB parts on it. I once saw a Libby CRD on ebay and in the long discription, they said it had a MB engine. I questioned that at the time, and since it was at a dealer, the guy asked his sales rep about the false advertisment claim that I made. We went back and forth for a while and in the end, they said screw you, it IS a MB engine. Soooooooo, it is and it isn't. OK, bring on some more can openers.

I'd be more happy if they were trying to cash in on the VM claim since they make great engines instead of the MB claim, but most folks NOT in the know haven't heard of VM.

OK, what the heck happened on my last post????????

post #34 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by samf36
I just read an article in Diesel Power magizne ( oct 2006 page 29) It says

" But don't fret too much over the demise of the 2.8L CRD when Liberty is redesigned for 2008, a diesel will likely be on tap. "

I am not holding my breath though.
Don't hold your breath over the return of the 2.8L or the use of the MB 3.0L.

They could just as easily use common-rail diesels from another source... take note of DCX's use of VW CRDs in smaller non-NA passenger cars and the rumor that they (VW CRD-equipped Caliber/Compass/Patriot or Sebring/Avenger) will be available in the US in the 2008MY

Real Jeeps don't need no stinkin' spark plugs!
post #35 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Don't hold your breath over the return of the 2.8L or the use of the MB 3.0L.

They could just as easily use common-rail diesels from another source... take note of DCX's use of VW CRDs in smaller non-NA passenger cars and the rumor that they (VW CRD-equipped Caliber/Compass/Patriot or Sebring/Avenger) will be available in the US in the 2008MY

Depends on if they think they can turn a profit or not. We were the test market and I wonder what they found out. They knew the VM CRD wouldn't pass '07 air standards when they put them in the Libby. No big news to DCX. With so many makes in trouble, they sure aren't going to gamble on it. My guess is with diesel prices up the way they are, and with the diesel still not the engine of choice here in the USA, we as CRD owners can expect no companionship any time soon.

post #36 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 02:26 PM
pbrutsch

Quote:
My guess is with diesel prices up the way they are, and with the diesel still not the engine of choice here in the USA, we as CRD owners can expect no companionship any time soon.
Maybe, maybe not. Many of those who have ridden in (or driven) mine have commented that they would love one, provided they cut down on the diesel rattle, and apparently the new VW engines do exactly that.

Of course, this was also before there was a 50-cent+ price premium for #2

BTW, the source of the rumor is this, the original @ Auto Express requires registration.

post #37 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Nope, last year for a diesel Liberty was 2006.

If you want one get it quick, they're going fast!

It's still up in the air if there'll ever again be a diesel Liberty.

Now a Grand Cherokee, OTOH...
in a 4 wheeling mag it said that they might start making them in 2007 or 2008 again. not sure if anybody said that yet...
post #38 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. Many of those who have ridden in (or driven) mine have commented that they would love one, provided they cut down on the diesel rattle, and apparently the new VW engines do exactly that.

Of course, this was also before there was a 50-cent+ price premium for #2

BTW, the source of the rumor is this, the original @ Auto Express requires registration.

It's probably just me, but when I'm in a diesel, I want to know it. That is one of the reasons I bought it. I could have gotten a go fast car, but I like the sound of them. I don't want my filling shaken loose, but I like the sound. I used to like the smell, but with the PS fuel treatment I am using, the exhuast come close to the nose burning smell of a funny car with nitro methane. The hike in fuel prices took away the mpg factor. I used to be able to justify driving it because I was getting 27-30 mpg, but not with the prices the way they are now. I can do better in my Buick, but, it's a buick, not a CRD.

post #39 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM
pbrutsch

Quote:
It's probably just me, but when I'm in a diesel, I want to know it.
I know how you feel, I love rolling down the windows and listening
We are in the minority; most people I've talked to want a more sophisticated vehicle without the sounds, smells, smoke, etc.

post #40 of 45 Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
jeepjeepster

I would pay more for diesel to have 300ft-lbs of torque.
post #41 of 45 Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
roxylulu22

I have 25,000 miles on my CRD purchased Nov of 05' it is an 06' model. Have had the Fuel Quantity Solenoid replaced. other than that I love it! Good gas mileage 22-27 MPG. I do have some problems with engine shuddering I think it is related to the Fuel Quantity Solenoid (don't know).
post #42 of 45 Old 09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxylulu22
I have 25,000 miles on my CRD purchased Nov of 05' it is an 06' model. Have had the Fuel Quantity Solenoid replaced. other than that I love it! Good gas mileage 22-27 MPG. I do have some problems with engine shuddering I think it is related to the Fuel Quantity Solenoid (don't know).

What exactly is the function of the FQS?

post #43 of 45 Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM
dcxman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
It's probably just me, but when I'm in a diesel, I want to know it. That is one of the reasons I bought it. I could have gotten a go fast car, but I like the sound of them. I don't want my filling shaken loose, but I like the sound. I used to like the smell, but with the PS fuel treatment I am using, the exhuast come close to the nose burning smell of a funny car with nitro methane. The hike in fuel prices took away the mpg factor. I used to be able to justify driving it because I was getting 27-30 mpg, but not with the prices the way they are now. I can do better in my Buick, but, it's a buick, not a CRD.
Amen. I knew going in that the crd was not a Lincoln. Although I would prefer a
big mac or kfc odor coming out of the tailpipe. Even soya would be OK, but the
bio outlets around here are very limited.
post #44 of 45 Old 09-11-2006, 05:40 PM
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

Delete Please

Red Jeep Club member # 264
post #45 of 45 Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
xyz123
Super Senior Member

24K in 11 Months; Love it; honesty, its the only reason I bought the Liberty when it came time to purchase a new vehicle..If I could have gotten this engine in a Rubicon..mmmmmm...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.