Liberty CRD Diesel Glow Plug Part Number - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty CRD Diesel Glow Plug Part Number

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

Liberty CRD Diesel Glow Plug Part Number

I need to replace a glow plug in my 2006 2.8 CRD Liberty, but apparently the original glow plug has been superseded by a different design plug that requires all four plugs to be replaces and the computer to be re-flashed. I am not really wanting to do that since the original plugs lasted 200,000+ miles so far and i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

But, i am having a lot of problems finding a replacement. In my search it occurred to me that since the Liberty is more available as a diesel in Europe (as the Cherokee), maybe I can find them over there perhaps on eBay UK.

That search turned up a lot of possibilities in aftermarket plugs from NGK and Resister SRI, but I am not sure of part numbers. Has anyone done this before that could point me to the right place to go or the right part number? I am using the Bosch 80041 plugs right now (which I believe are the 7 volt ones).

Thanks,

Jim

dabincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The factory originals are ceramic as you already know I'm sure & the replacement upgraded ones are metal. If one of the originals crack and throw a piece off - it can do some damage if your not lucky enough to have it blow through.

If any members here have already done the upgrade, they most likely will have a used one or more laying around with a little luck. Hopefully someone will chime in for you. Have as of yet not touched mine, so no help unfortunately..

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
JeepinJarhead03

68090434aa

I believe

5v steel vs 7v ceramic, comp needs to be updated
JeepinJarhead03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
CodyJ5
2005 KJ Liberty 

This is interesting. I have an '05 Liberty with the 2.8L CRD as well. And mine doesnt have glow plugs. (To me, its nice NOT having them cause a buddy of mine can go through glow plugs faster than toilet paper after chili night.) Anyway, were glowplugs optional or were they added on later or what?
CodyJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
JeepinJarhead03

never seen the underside of the CRD's head, if they don't have a pre-combustion chamber (and a compression around 20:1) they technically don't need the glow plugs but the glow plugs help

ambient temp, fuel temp, and the compression ratios got a big role in it

there's plenty diesel rigs out there that don't need the plugs but still have them otherwise they'ed be a B to crank in the winter - some don't have plugs and have intake grid heaters and some simply just dont have anything

I was a diesel mechanic but i've never as so much as changed the oil on a KJ CRD

If I owned one I probably would have already taken it apart and put it back together a few times - but that gets expensive but i've never had problems giving victor reinz my money

can't imagine them packaging some CRD's with and some without though...

--
edit
just looked up the compression for the CRD, 17.5:1 is quite borderline for a compression start cold with an ambient below 32 degrees ie: i'd be impressed

i usually don't like to question people about the mechanics of their vehicle but .. sorry.. being in PA, you'd be rather unhappy with your vehicle several months out of the year if you didn't have glow plugs.. 0_o
Unread 08-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJ5 View Post
This is interesting. I have an '05 Liberty with the 2.8L CRD as well. And mine doesnt have glow plugs. (To me, its nice NOT having them cause a buddy of mine can go through glow plugs faster than toilet paper after chili night.) Anyway, were glowplugs optional or were they added on later or what?
I have never heard of a CRD not having glow plugs.....are you sure yours does not have them?
I find that very weird as where I am here in South Africa I definitely do not ever need glow plugs
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
flman
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
How do you know you don't have glow plugs? Does the little curly coil light up on the dash when you turn the key to run? Do you start it with ether or alot of cranking? The plugs are standard equipment on all 05, 06, CRDs.
2010 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
2005 MB 2500 Sprinter Van
flman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
mikey1273
2006 KJ Liberty 

I AM in PA myself and I can tell you that you must have them if you drive it in the winter much, park outside or in unheated garages. mine even with glow plugs is not as easy to start as a gasser in the cold. you must wait almost 10 seconds or more before cranking for it to start when its below 20-25*F.

I had a valet in Philadelphia the other winter not be able to start it after it sat a few days. he came back and said it won't start and he was afraid to drain the battery, so he took me up to the Jeep where I started it like it should be done and it started right up.

I doubt that his CRD has no glow plugs unless he had them removed and the holes they were in plugged up. I would bet he doesn't realize they are there. the glow plug light in the dash often flashes so fast you could miss it if you are not looking for it. In warmer weather I never notice mine at all.
mikey1273 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

All 05/06 north american KJ VM CRD's have glow plugs from the get go, including yours. You most likely just were not aware of them.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
CodyJ5
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well after all that, Im pretty convinced that i do have glow plugs. I'll check any get back to you guys. And i've started my CRD when it was 5-10 F. And she started up in about 3 seconds.

EDIT: Well I know for a fact that it has intake grid heaters. I still dont know if I have glow plugs. Any help on finding where they are located?

Last edited by CodyJ5; 08-26-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Unread 08-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Well after all that, Im pretty convinced that i do have glow plugs. I'll check any get back to you guys. And i've started my CRD when it was 5-10 F. And she started up in about 3 seconds.

EDIT: Well I know for a fact that it has intake grid heaters. I still dont know if I have glow plugs. Any help on finding where they are located?
The glow plugs are on the driver's side of the cylinder head just below the intake manifold. The are parallel to the ground (i.e. not penetrating the cylinders at an angle) and are at a 90 degree angle to the front-to-back centerline of the engine.

I had a 2005 as well as this 2006, and I thought I remember seeing that it had them.
dabincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabincharlotte View Post
The glow plugs are on the driver's side of the cylinder head just below the intake manifold. The are parallel to the ground (i.e. not penetrating the cylinders at an angle) and are at a 90 degree angle to the front-to-back centerline of the engine.

I had a 2005 as well as this 2006, and I thought I remember seeing that it had them.
You should also have two relays in the fuse box in the engine bay marked as "Glow Plug"
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
CodyJ5
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman

How do you know you don't have glow plugs? Does the little curly coil light up on the dash when you turn the key to run? Do you start it with ether or alot of cranking? The plugs are standard equipment on all 05, 06, CRDs.
What does the "curly coil light" look like?
Cause i dont see any lights that fit that description. I'll get a picture of my dash when i put they key to run.
Unread 08-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
JeepinJarhead03

from a dodge nitro but indicator should be identical
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
CodyJ5
2005 KJ Liberty 

I dont have that indicator. Heres what my dash looks like when i put the key to run.

www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/12/0827011115.jpg

Last edited by CodyJ5; 08-27-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.