Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Liberty crd 2006 timing belt

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  johnkampol 
#1 ·
Hello there
I recently bought a jeep crd model 2006. The previous owner never had changed timing belt. I checked the service book and refers that we have to change the timing belt every 60.000 miles. The car has only 35.000 miles but is 10 years old. What do you think? Shall i change the belt or I am safe and wait till 60.000 miles

#2 ·
First off, remember that this is an interference engine. When the belt breaks on these, it is beyond catastrophic. Searching on here, you can see lots of horror stories.

That being said, 10 years old, that belt is coming off and getting replaced, no matter the mileage. Don't wait around, get it done ASAP, rather now. Also, do some reading on recommended upgrades and other maintenance needed on the CRD. If you're in the states, do run a cetane booster with the fuel. It will reduce issues and increase fuel mileage.

#5 ·
If your new to you CRD has had very sporatic use, yes it would be an OK idea to replace the timing belt.

Fuel has changed since these were first sold. It is dryer, less lubrication. Not a bad idea to be adding something like 8 to 10 oz of 2 cycle oil with each fuel fill (real good idea). Something like Super Tech from Wally World works fine. 0-40 or 5-40 oil, Mobile 1 TDT works fine and is most every where.

Remove and inspect the oil drain plug on your CRD. Many owners have had the drain plugs stripped out in the oil pan from over tightening at quicky lube shops. They only have like 3 or 4 threads on the oil pan. The pan is aluminum. If it has not been stripped, look into something like a Fumoto valve to take the place of the factory plug. They work quite well.

Most definately contact Green Diesel Engineering in Wixom Mich. They know a ton about these CRD's. If this one has not been tuned - it should be. World of differance. You can google the ph#.

Reactions: TwoBobsKJ
#6 ·
Timing belts will easily go for 100,000 miles and generally more than 10 yrs.
They are massively overbuilt with Kevlar composites
The teeth will wear off before they break, remove cover and check for cracking or tooth damage.
Nothing wrong with a 'name' belt, doesn't matter where it comes from (Gates, Goodyear, Continental, etc)
What really screws belts up is pulleys running out of true and seized tensioners allowing belt to be too tight when motor heats up, although that is more of an issue with all alloy engines (can also cause crank and cam bearing problems)

#9 ·
Sorry I have to weigh in with my professional experience. Timing belts do crack badly with age, and coupled with the extra stress on a CRD timing belt, it becomes a larger liability. Add to that the extreme expense that the owner would be responsible for in the event of a failure, well, to put it in other terms, how much do you like to gamble? Because that's what you're doing. I have also seen several idler and tensioners that were replaced in a cheap kit fail right in the service bay. Use premium parts, do it right once.

#8 ·
We are glad you stopped in.

Take a moment and fill out your KJ's info (profile).
Helps when someone answers a question you might post.

#10 ·
So after all the discussion we had here I had the job done .
The timing kit came from Gates. Everything OK.
I have to admit that the timing belt was as new. No signs of damage or cracks.
The serpantine belt though was about to break. I have noticed a small crack inthe inner side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.