Liberty 3.7L V6 fuel filter replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty 3.7L V6 fuel filter replacement

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 12-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
lightfoot1976

Liberty 3.7L V6 fuel filter replacement

What is the guideline for replacement of the fuel filter on the 3.7L V6 Liberty Sport? I've heard conflicting reports as I'll list below. First of all, after reading through the scheduled maintenance in the owner's manual for this motor, I've found no mention of replacing the fuel filter at all. I've also heard on this forum, the following:

1. never replace it because today's refined gasolines are so clean that it isn't necessary.
2. replace it after 30,000 miles
3. replace it after 60.000 miles
4. don't sweat it unless you can tell that there's a problem

I have always changed fuel filters every 30,000 miles on other vehicles I've owned. On older cars I used to change fuel filters every year. One thing that discourages me doing it on the Liberty is that it appears you have to rip the whole rear of the vehicle apart to change the filter. It also appears that to have a dealership do it, would be a pretty high priced operation.
Comments? Ideas????

lightfoot1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
lucas/liberty

if it aint broke dont fix it...

Wife=2002 jeep liberty sports traded it in for an RX330 lexus
===2007 nissan Xterra X
lucas/liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
Tightwadsjeeper

I say don't mess with it unless you're having problems.

Luis
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

I vote

E: Don't mess with it because it's rated for 100,000 miles (whatever that means) or some other obnoxious length of time, and IIRS it's inside your fuel tank with the fuel pump and is a PAIN to mess with.

Some have even said that it's a "Lifetime" filter, but whose lifetime? Mine, the Jeep's, or the Filter's?
Unread 01-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
valvestem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan
I vote

E: Don't mess with it because it's rated for 100,000 miles (whatever that means) or some other obnoxious length of time, and IIRS it's inside your fuel tank with the fuel pump and is a PAIN to mess with.

Some have even said that it's a "Lifetime" filter, but whose lifetime? Mine, the Jeep's, or the Filter's?
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
lightfoot1976

fuel filter

now why would they put a fuel filter in the gas tank???? is that dumb or what? I can't believe that there is ANY filter that's got a lifetime shelf life. I do believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it " maxim. And i certainly don't plan on changing it anytime in the future.
Unread 01-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
valvestem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot1976
now why would they put a fuel filter in the gas tank???? is that dumb or what? I can't believe that there is ANY filter that's got a lifetime shelf life. I do believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it " maxim. And i certainly don't plan on changing it anytime in the future.
The gas filter is not inside the gas tank.
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #8
jeepjeepster

Would it not be easier to run the jeep low on gas and drop the tank? Instead of pulling all the carpet up and pulling off that stupid plate?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

The fuel filter isn't that hard to change, its right on the front of the tank but it costs $130 though. Ive never been able to have that question answered, Ive talked to many people at DCX (obviously not the right ones!) about why there isn't a regulary service fuel filter. ANd the ones that have an external filter, why they are so expensive. It acts as a fuel pressure regulator along with being a fuel filter, thats the only reason I can come up with for the high price.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #10
lightfoot1976

fuel filter

This is the only vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't easily replace the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. If the cost for the dealership is $130 then I'm not changing it for one hell of a long time.
Unread 01-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a guide to do it yourself (see the first two posts).

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2356

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
valvestem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot1976
This is the only vehicle I've ever owned where I couldn't easily replace the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. If the cost for the dealership is $130 then I'm not changing it for one hell of a long time.
Cheaper on-line @ $104.14. Not much savings though for a fuel filter.
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
Long Island KJ

I just went through 2 fuel pumps on my 03 Caravan with only 21000 miles on the clock. After the second pump fried the dealer told me it was a dirty fuel filter causing it to burn, so they got me for $80 to change the filter ( part only ) the rest was warranty.
My conclusion is... ok dirty filter causes resistance on the pump and eventually fries it, or the first pump was a bad one and they just wanted to get me to buy a new filter.
I hope it was a bad pump because if these fuel filters need to be replaced every 10 or 15,000 miles to keep the pump from failing, I'll sell my Liberty as soon as the first pump goes,
Long Island KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #14
lightfoot1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island KJ
I just went through 2 fuel pumps on my 03 Caravan with only 21000 miles on the clock. After the second pump fried the dealer told me it was a dirty fuel filter causing it to burn, so they got me for $80 to change the filter ( part only ) the rest was warranty.
My conclusion is... ok dirty filter causes resistance on the pump and eventually fries it, or the first pump was a bad one and they just wanted to get me to buy a new filter.
I hope it was a bad pump because if these fuel filters need to be replaced every 10 or 15,000 miles to keep the pump from failing, I'll sell my Liberty as soon as the first pump goes,
I don't believe ANY filter is good for the lifetime of a vehicle. It just makes sense to change the fuel filter at least every 30,000 miles, but who's going to do that when its so damned expensive to change a simple thing like that. It should be accessible from under the hood and easy to change like most other fuel filters.
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
silver_2000_TJ

Yep that sounds right, the fuel pump/filter is one unit in my 2000 Dodge ram and wrangler. I had to replace the filter/pump on the ram and at 140.00 I was not happy. I just hope that the filter does not go out on my G/F's Liberty.
**** MORE TO COME ****[/B][/COLOR]
silver_2000_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.