Liberty 3.7 oil filter location? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Liberty 3.7 oil filter location?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
str8ridin

Liberty 3.7 oil filter location?

Can someone kindly point me to where it is? Thanks!

str8ridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
jeep_on

If you crawl under your KJ from the front end, and you on your back its up front and to your left.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
str8ridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
If you crawl under your KJ from the front end, and you on your back its up front and to your left.

Hey thanks! Man, that thing is stuck on and in an awkward spot. I need to go get a wrench. In the meantime, would you happen to know what color the stock filter from the factory is?

The reason I ask is that this is the second oil change....first a Jiffy Lube. But I am suspecting that they didn't change the filter. The one I see is black. Is the stock one (mopar I assume) black?
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
jeep_on

Dude you got screwed! Donít touch that fiter. I use to work to Juffy Lube and all their filters are white. And yes, the Mopar filter is black.

I don't know what they will do for ya, maybe a free oil change to make up for what they did.

Quote:
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
str8ridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
Dude you got screwed! Donít touch that fiter. I use to work to Juffy Lube and all their filters are white. And yes, the Mopar filter is black.

I don't know what they will do for ya, maybe a free oil change to make up for what they did.

Right on man....I just called them and asked if they had Mopar filters and they said no, they only have Purlator or something....so then I asked what color and they said white! Dicks!!!

I already changed the oil.....damn it. But I'll have them do the filter. I'll call corporate and see if they can mail me a coupon for a free oil change.
Unread 10-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
jeep_on

That sucks. That’s not cool for them to do that. But I’ve seen then do it to people. That’d drain the oil and take off the filter and drain it as mush as possible. Than spin it back on and put oil back in. This only happened if they were out of that filter. I never did that to customers. I’d send them to another shop if we didn’t have the filter or ask them to come back on X day when the new shipment of fitters came in. In same cases I’d call up AutoZone down the street and have them bring me a FRAM filter if the customer wanted to wait.

Thats one reason I left. That and the fact they treated some people like crap. The manager was being an *** one day and he lost four of his techs when he had all three bays full and a line of cars waiting. We all just tossed our tools down and walked out.

Quote:
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Blue56

Ahh good ol iffy lube. They left the drain plug on mine not even finger tight and leaking. You are lucky IF they do it right.
Blue56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue56
Ahh good ol iffy lube. They left the drain plug on mine not even finger tight and leaking. You are lucky IF they do it right.
No kidding? I would have drained the oil and drove back to them complaining of low oil presser. If your engine locked up you could have got them to buy a brand new one.

Hmmm, I want an engine for my ZJ that doesnít have 220k.

Quote:
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue56

There is one in Bend, Oregon that left my dip stick off a few years ago. I found it laying across the engine of my old F 150.
Unread 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
There is one in Bend, Oregon that left my dip stick off a few years ago. I found it laying across the engine of my old F 150.
LOL. Thats all most as bad as what I did once. I was in a super hurry to change my oil in the ZJ. I pulled the plug, spun the filter off, oiled the new gasket on the new filter, spun it back on and reinserted the drain plug.

Popped the filler cap and added the 6qts of oil. Slammed the hood down, started it up and watch the presser gauge to make sure all was well. Put it in gear and took off. I had to meet some friends about 30 miles away, for a camping trip. I zoom out to their place and we start loading the vehicles.

Now I donít know why I did this, but I popped my hood to check its fluids. Just a habit I guess and than I noticed some thing was missing. My damn filler cap was gone. I was kinda pissed off at my self for being in such a hurry and losing it. Than I spotted the thing, it was between the valve cover and the distributor cap.

Quote:
Unread 10-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #11
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube you might as well go to Wal-Mart for an oil change. I love swapping engines or transmission because of Jiffy Lube......
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
str8ridin

Actually, this was the SECOND, not first oil change. They changed the oil/filter and charged my wife $50. At 6,000 miles, she took it for another oil change at the same place and they changed the oil/filter again and charged her $50.

It’s at 10,000 miles now. Anyway, after I finished changing the oil (not the filter), I hopped in the car with the wife and drove down there. I pull into bay #3 and honk the horn. Some guy comes out to talk to me to tell me they are closed.

Me: Well, I have a quick question. Do you recommend getting an oil change without changing the filter?

JL: No, not at all. Your filter can get clogged up and “starve the engine of oil.”

Me: Really, that’s not good.

JL: Yeah

Me: Well, what kind of damage can “starving the engine of oil” do to a car?

JL: It’s kind of complicated, but all those moving parts in your engine need oil, and if your car can’t pump oil fast enough, you can get accelerated wear on your engine parts. It’s bad.

Me: Oh. *pause and smile* Do you guys sell Mopar Filters here?

JL: *Getting squirmey after that question and realizing that I just talked to him on the phone* Uh, no.

Me: That’s funny because my wife brought this car here twice *handed him the receipts* for this car’s first two oil changes and it still has the stock Mopar filter on from the factory. Can I see your manager?

So, I pull the car into the bay and the manager comes out to talk to me. He looks at the receipt and the names of the people who did the work and said, “Sorry man, these guys who did this work don’t even work here anymore…for a reason. We’ll get you taken car of.”

So, I look at the other guy who I talked to previously and asked, “So, you think I have engine damage from oil starvation since it’s the same filter for 10,000 miles?”

He looked at me and said, “Oh no, it’s a new car and I was talking about 20 – 30 thousands miles. You are fine.”

My wife and I just looked at each other and started laughing obnoxiously in front of him.

D I C K S!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.