Leak Detection Pump 03 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Leak Detection Pump 03

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Leak Detection Pump 03

Hi, My Check Engine light came on in Dec 2006 and the code was P0442 - EVAP leak. Had it to the dealer (before I learned the key trick to read the codes) and the invoice says:
PERFORMED LEAK DETECTION PUMP TEST - FAILED
PERFORMED SMOKE TEST, NO EXTERNAL LEAKS VISIBLE
INTERNAL LEAK, NEEDS LEAK DETECTION PUMP.

Since then, I read up and found that the gas cap can sometimes be the problem so I fiddled with the rubber ring on the cap and shortly after, the light went out. After a few months, the light came back on with the same code and has gone out and come on a few times since. In Dec 2007, I replaced the gas cap but the light came back on so I am thinking that it might actually be the leak detection pump. I have a few questions:
Do you folks think this is the pump or could it be a loose connection of some sort (hose or electrical)?
Where is the leak detection pump?
How difficult is it to change?

While I am here, anyone have a good source for MOPAR parts that will ship to Canada and not charge the dealer gouge prices?

Edit: Should mention this is a 2003 Liberty 3.7L

Thanks all...

Last edited by Abby_Guts; 03-23-2008 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Add Liberty info
Abby_Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Update... after eeven more reading, rechecked hoses and found cracked hose off the drivers side of the air intake on top of the engine. It was cracked on the underside so was hard to find. I took a picture but can't see where to insert it. I have reset the codes and have my fingers crossed. anyone know if this could have caused the P0442?

Last edited by Abby_Guts; 03-24-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
gmctd
2005 KJ Liberty 

All modern fuel systems place a slight vacuum on the fuel tank to reduce evaporative emission - it is very slight, so a slight leak will throw the DTC - fuel cap, hose connection seal ring, crumbled plastic hoses, etc - that hose could be the problem, but also the fuel cap, which requires replacement every so often because of deteriorated seals - at any rate, repair that hose, then look at the fuel cap if the DTC reoccurs - the LDP is on the front side of the fuel tank, that contraption with all the hoses and a few wires
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Al's arms, Moogs; Ranchos; Rubicons, 2.55 Gy's; Suncoast T\C, Transgo
'06 Cummins lift pump module, Fuel Manager\Filter, Filterminder
Four in a row really makes it go
gmctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the info gmctd. I replaced the hose and the fuel cap is new in December so hopefully that will do it. Thanks again.
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
jeepjeepster

Yup, that cracked hose is very common. I sprayed mine with some silicone spray about a year ago so I guess its time to clean them again.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Just a quick update... engine light still off so hose fixed problem. Thanks all
Unread 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
jeepjeepster

Glad it was a cheap fix! Alot of people would of never figured that out then paid $$ at the dealer.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
ohvkj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

had the same code come up...ran it through a smoke machine and a weird pump was to blame...only could pick it up at the dealer...i work at a parts store and no one had any idea
Unread 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well poop... P0442 is back so I guess it wasn't that hose after all. Will have to get back under her to see if I can find anything else. Might be that pump after all I suppose. Any suggestions (other than "put a piece of black tape over the check engine light") appreciated.
Unread 05-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Broke down and replaced the Leak detection pump. Not too bad a job. Straps holding gas tank are getting rusty but couldn't bring myself to pay the $38 per to replace them. Will advise if the new pump fixed the problem later.
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Abby_Guts
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hi... last post on this one hopefully. The pump fixed the problem. No visible signs of failure on the old one and the dealer here said that is the only one they have sold. Hope this helps someone else...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.