Are the KJ's reliable after 100K? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Are the KJ's reliable after 100K?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #61
stephen11560
2003 KJ Liberty 

I'm close to 110k and have had only "minor" issues with my 2003 Liberty Sport. The worst problem I had was bringing it in for a control arm recall and having all this other BS need to be done $$$$!

stephen11560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #62
Caementarius
2004 KJ Liberty 

Have a 2004 Liberty (LE 4x4, auto) bought in November 2003. Just passed 246,000 miles on original equipment. Here is rundown of major maintenance on my Liberty over the years (other than recalls and routine maintenance):

194,758 - Rebuild rear differential and replace valve cover gaskets
225,917 - Replace A/C compressor
233,486 - Replace rack-n-pinion and radiator (leak)

Other maintenance over the years I would deem 'routine' such as oil changes, brakes, tires, tune-ups, etc ... have had great luck with the Liberty but you have to take care of it.

On another note, just fooling around with numbers the other day .... at today's gas prices ($3.35 p/gal) and a 20.7 MPG I have spent almost $40,000 worth of gas ....
Caementarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #63
lmuelljeep
2005 KJ Liberty 

I bought ours at around 145k miles. Had to replace serpentine belt, O2 sensor, heater engine (not just the resistor, but the whole thing), tie rod, and brand new brakes and tires. Got that all fixed and drove from Ohio to California no problems...she's rusty as can be due to Detroit/Toledo area winter salt exposure, but I love my Jeepy and will continue to put money into it. Currently just broke 150,000 miles.
lmuelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #64
Chosw

05 Renegade here with 198, Libby has taken me from TX to NY at least 13 times now. Zero issues with it, everything under the hood still bone stock. No rebuilds, or anything. Only thing ive had to replace is the radiator a couple times. Super easy and fast swap. But im sure everyone in this forum has had to replace that plastic POS atleast once.
Chosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #65
Worstshire
2004 KJ Liberty 

had a 2003 limited 312 000km and just sell it to my buddy 1500$ still good for the road just bought a renegade 2004, 134 000km. work perfect!
Worstshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #66
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I hope so. I bought mine with 106755 miles on the odometer. I currently have 120494 miles Just since last November, and thus far I have only replaced the spark plugs, air filter, regular oil changes, replace the rear wiper motor (which was broken when I bought the Jeep), and wheels and tires (personal choice). Otherwise, it has been a very dependable and capable vehicle.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #67
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

2005 KJ Ltd Sport 3.7L 137k miles

I like this thread because I keep getting nervous about keeping this Jeep but - here's what we've done so far. We do not off-road, it's my wife's daily driver plus has done a few cross country (I mean like CA to DC) trips.

She is good about oil changes and maintenance. I'd have to pull out the invoices to remember the mileage and specifics but here's the main items:

- 6cd changer head crapped early, replaced, about 60k miles
- Speakers blew, installed aftermarket, about 110k miles (thanks to forum tips)
- some fuse/gizmo thing hidden behind glove box, cheap fix thanks to Forum
- I've replaced plugs twice, no help to gas mileage but still runs good
- 110k radiator fan, electric motor or bearings I think - went south, that was $400, looked like more than I wanted to take on myself
- radiator itself went out around 125k miles, I think that ran around $400, and I think there was also some seal leaking, another $200

My 2003 Vette with a 350 ci averages 21 mpg in average mix of street and hwy... can get 27mpg steady highway. This Jeep could not break 20 mpg if its all downhill... 18 is more like our average.
LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #68
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOrDeath
I like this thread because I keep getting nervous about keeping this Jeep but - here's what we've done so far. We do not off-road, it's my wife's daily driver plus has done a few cross country (I mean like CA to DC) trips. She is good about oil changes and maintenance. I'd have to pull out the invoices to remember the mileage and specifics but here's the main items: - 6cd changer head crapped early, replaced, about 60k miles - Speakers blew, installed aftermarket, about 110k miles (thanks to forum tips) - some fuse/gizmo thing hidden behind glove box, cheap fix thanks to Forum - I've replaced plugs twice, no help to gas mileage but still runs good - 110k radiator fan, electric motor or bearings I think - went south, that was $400, looked like more than I wanted to take on myself - radiator itself went out around 125k miles, I think that ran around $400, and I think there was also some seal leaking, another $200 My 2003 Vette with a 350 ci averages 21 mpg in average mix of street and hwy... can get 27mpg steady highway. This Jeep could not break 20 mpg if its all downhill... 18 is more like our average.
Yes, my 06 GTO gets better gas mileage than my KJ. It has the LS2 corvette engine in it. I think it gets better gas mileage because its RPM's are generally lower at regular speed and it has more gears. Don't get me wrong, I romp on the GTO all the time and it still beats the KJ in gas mileage. Lol go figure
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #69
gombie72

My KJ is a 2002 3.7 L with 190xxx miles. Only major problem was a bad ignition coil. I was accelerating up to about 50 mph, all of a sudden, my speed lurched down to 25 mph. Scary, but no crash. Other than that, It has not been to the shop other than regular matinance.
gombie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #70
kirksjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just flipped 227K in our 02 Renegade.
1992 YJ Sahara- 4.5" RE XD, 1" BL, 1" MML, 35" BFG MT, 8.8 w/Aussie, D30 w/Ten Factory shafts/ Aussie, 4:10 gears, Soild Diff Covers, SYE, CV Drive shaft, OBA, Flowmaster Super 44,, Custom head pipe, Super Chip, Boared out TB, Rock It Intake , Goferit Tie Rod Flip, 99+ intake manifold/Steering pump, custom front/rear bumpers,Hand Throttle, Hurst Shifter, Smitty Built sliders , 6" TJ flairs, Kilby belly up skid, Quadratech 9K winch, ZJ PS cooler. 01 XJ Sport-2" lift, 31x10.50 MT/ 02 Liberty 2" Lift
kirksjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #71
miataguy

I'm approaching 200K on my '02 Sport. I'm the original owner.

It's been pretty reliable. The only exception is that I'm on my third radiator. The OE and first replacement were both plastic and developed a crack in the same place (top driver side corner). The current radiator seems to be a better quality and appears to be holding up well. Other than that:

- OE radio died
- A/C compressor replaced
- HVAC resistor replaced
- new oil pressure sensor

All recalls were addressed and standard maintenance done on a regular basis, including oil / fluid changes, belt, hoses, battery, plugs, filters. The OE muffler recently rusted out and was replaced.

I'm a bit surprised that it still is running with the original coolant pump and thermostat. I'm torn between the philosophy of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and the thought that I'm driving a time bomb.
miataguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #72
Vertilli

I bought an '04 with 150,xxx on the clock that was pretty pristine. I've done all the major service work expected (hoses, belts, plugs, etc.) and only had two issues in the 11,xxx miles I've put on it: the A/C died and the water pump died. Did both myself (for just a couple hunnies each!) and she's running just fine.

From what I've seen with the little rides, 250,xxx+ miles shouldn't be an issue....if they're serviced correctly.
Vertilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #73
roaddawg45013
2003 KJ Liberty 

Love my Jeep Liberty!!!! 252,000 miles and still going strong!!!
roaddawg45013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #74
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

So now, my wife is complaining that this '05 3.7L with about 140K miles has lost a lot of pick-up/power, and what can I do to get the power back? I agree it's lost some juice but it is running well, no drop in the already poor MPG so I guess this is just normal deterioration due to rings, valves, carbon buildup etc. I'm considering dropping in a newer motor, rebuilding this one, etc. (I also considered Nitrous - THAT would give her a boost eh?? kidding). Anyone been down this road, and what did you do or recommend? Thanks.
LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #75
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Have you ever changed the spark plugs? NGK copper or Champion copper...they're cheap and easy to do. Plugs generally last 30k miles in these. While you have the coils off for the plugs, inspect them for cracks or evidence of arcing. When you reinstall them, use dielectric grease in the boot.

Also, oxygen sensors degrade with age. If you've never replaced the front sensors, now is a good time. NTK only on those. I got back some pep and mileage when I replaced Denso sensors with NTKs.
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.