Are the KJ's reliable after 100K? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Are the KJ's reliable after 100K?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #46
WolfzLiberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
CAI is a poor design
stay with the stock box works way better than any CAI
I'm thinking bout the K&N setup. I think that the stock airbox is a crap design and makes it feel starved for air when I try to get moving fast . And I dont really want a snorkel since I live in the desert, not like I'd see alot of water or river crossings.

WolfzLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #47
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

K&N
good for short trips, long trips of any kind lets in way more dirt
tried the K&N on mine when I first got it, only thing it did was let in dirt and make noise
I got better mileage/power from the stock box and a good paper filter
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #48
Gunpowder
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have the K&N filter in my stock box. Mu sondid a science fair project on it and showed it got slightly better MPG but not much.
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfzLiberty View Post
I'm thinking bout the K&N setup. I think that the stock airbox is a crap design and makes it feel starved for air when I try to get moving fast . And I dont really want a snorkel since I live in the desert, not like I'd see alot of water or river crossings.
A year or 2 back, a member did a good test for a college project. If you spend a bit of time using the search function - you'll find it, it pretty much says it all.

You will not be doing your KJ any favors by running a K&N. That being said, many people are married to all the TV ads they have seen over the years.

The factory air box will allow way more air flow than the 3.7 can take, with a lot less dirt & grit in your motor.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #50
LibertyOrDeath
2005 KJ Liberty 

We use our 3.7L loaded KJ, tow package, sport editition (?) for city and hwy only, all stock and until this last week at 120K miles had only replaced:
cd player
that heater fan part under the glove box
front speakers
engine electric fan bearing/unit, can't remember the part name.
I think we paid about $25K for it new. Based on MY experience alone, highly reliable, and reading this thread I think you're odds are good of a well cared for KJ being a 200K mile vehicle (with some additional maintenance of course).

We took it in for a 120K checkup due to an engine light and:
-spline seal leaking, replacing
-shocks/struts need replaced, quoted $1300!!!
-radiator failed a leak down test, apparently they're plastic and aluminum these days... about $450 total
-the CEL error code is some fuel tank evap recapture issue my mechanic says is a bear to diagnose, a lot of tubes and gizmos involved, he's taking his best shot replacing some pump in there for about $300 total

So for 8 years and 120K miles I'd say it's a great car, which surprises me still (Chrysler??!!!). My wife loved the car, we bought it over my objection. Paint and finish are like new despite parking outside always, it's only 2nd set of tires I think (not sure about that sounds fishy but.. I think so, though these are about shot).

None of window or other problems others list here and since its never off road it's not been worked hard of course.
LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #51
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well 5 months later after I posted this question, #2 kid is on the way and the TJ didn't get any bigger. So this summer I'm down selling the TJ and finding either a regular Cherokee, V8 GC or a KJ. I find them all priced about the same with the same amount of miles. I like the KJ the best, but the Cherokee's are damn reliable..
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #52
Grimbr13
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have an 02 limited edition liberty fully loaded with original everything. The only thing I've ever had to replace or fix is my front drive shaft and seals on my transfer case. I just turned over 188k last week. I'm not easy on my cars either. The only problem I have right now is that my power module for towing lights is out. Easy fix
Grimbr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #53
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

My 2 cents worth: '06 w/3.7L Bought used in '09 with a little under 30K miles. It's my "around town" and go into the mountains car, but not my daily commuter (90 miles RT 10X a month). Thermostat failed before 35K and water pump failed at around 50K. Both events very disappointing. Also have replaced 3 of the 4 door regulators with aftermarket parts. Now has about 67K on the odo which is good for a 7 year old car.
Otherwise I've not had a problem. I am a religious follower of the service intervals and have done everything since I bought it as per the manual. Since the water pump failed, it's been great (except for lousy MPG, but it goes with the territory).
The only thing that would make me think twice about getting another one is the MPG...
BobFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #54
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If it get's above 13-15 it will be doing better than my TJ. My fullsize pickup gets 15 easily...lol
My Jeep
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #55
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper View Post
If it get's above 13-15 it will be doing better than my TJ. My fullsize pickup gets 15 easily...lol
Should get better than that
Mines heavier than most and I still pull 20 -21 on the highway at 70-75 and around town 15-16 easy enough, and I have a heavy foot
Of course 4.10s help as well but with front and rear aftermarket bumpers/kilby gas tank skid/ Skid Row skids up front etc theres some weight rolling down the road
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #56
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking about going and looking at an 02 Renegade with 111,000 miles. Asking 5900 out of it. Anything I need to look for? Factory running boards look rusty in the picture, but that really doesn't scare me as they seem cheap anyways.
My Jeep
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #57
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJeeper View Post
I get 14-15 (maybe close to 16) in town. On the highway at 75-80 on cruise control it'll approach, and occasionally beat 20 mpg
BobFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #58
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I bought an 02 Limited today with no rust 120K miles. Time will tell if I made a good decision. Buying used (or even new sometimes) is a crap shoot anyways. It was nice to drive.
My Jeep
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #59
Grimbr13
2002 KJ Liberty 

I know what u mean. Luckily, chrystlers last if u take care of them
Grimbr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #60
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Now at 174k and a daily driver...just replaced the tires (Firestone Destination AT) with 80k on the clock..and the shocks and struts w/springs all replaced with 170k on the clock!
Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.