Are the KJ's reliable after 100K? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Are the KJ's reliable after 100K?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #31
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Oil light on and she drove it anyways?
Plus putzing around town was worse on it than anything else
Have to get them out and run them.
As I've stated many times, mines bounced off the rev limiter a few times a week on take off , keeps it cleaned out good. It also has oil changes done every 3-4000 miles, all other fluids done more often than recommended and gets the best care.
Run it hard but take care of it

Unread 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
jester72
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Oil light on and she drove it anyways?
Plus putzing around town was worse on it than anything else
Have to get them out and run them.
As I've stated many times, mines bounced off the rev limiter a few times a week on take off , keeps it cleaned out good. It also has oil changes done every 3-4000 miles, all other fluids done more often than recommended and gets the best care.
Run it hard but take care of it
Yep, oil light came on, I had her try to get it home as the oil level was not low, and it siezed up two miles later. what would you have her do? rebuild it on the side of the road? thanks though for taking the time to post the extremely helpful post.
jester72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #33
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How do you know for sure it was just low?
If lights start flashing I'm going to pull over and check everything really well not keep on going . If only two miles flat tow it home even
Sorry but its not worth taking a chance
Unread 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
trailiberty
2005 KJ Liberty 

ours has been relatively trouble free, its an 05 with 130k miles on it. I'm hoping it continues to be a good jeep.
trailiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
Georgeandkira

Late to this party

Hello, Just began maintaining a 2005 Liberty w/130K so I'm reading posts to educate myself. Hopefully I'll see all the repair/maintenance receipts soon. Regarding the "jinxed KJ family from Texas" I have a question: Could it be that these vehicles were simply driven too fast? I've been in Texas several times and it's really cool to crank around those wide-open spaces. I'm not accusing anybody of anything but I have experienced heavy right feet as a family trait. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
jeepwaver
2006 KJ Liberty 

Got a 06 Liberty Renegade bought straight from factory (when I came back from deployment) and its now hitting the 80k mark. only gripe I have are the window regulators it has been replaced 3x (the left passenger side). now woke up this morning and the damn driver side window is having trouble going up and the rear window having a bit of a tantrum

Engine wise it hasn't failed on this freezing Chicago weather.

Last edited by jeepwaver; 05-11-2013 at 11:27 PM..
jeepwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
Gunpowder
2002 KJ Liberty 

FYI, service light comes on means a code. Light flashing means code red and pull over and shut it off.

I have had my 2002 since it had 79K. It started using oil real bad a year or 2 ago.

It just dropped a valve seat at approx 200,000 miles this week. Apparently it is common.

$3K later on the head job and catalytic converter (we think the oil took it out) and I will hopefully have a good vehicle for years to come. Or else I just wasted $3K. It also has an electrical issue with the radio that they think is a faulty relay. Would pull the fuse but it also controls ignition.
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #38
Durango_USMC
2002 KJ Liberty 

02 with 118k, bought it used in '08 with 95k and questionable past upkeep... Replaced: Radiator (tomorrow), front brake lines, crank shaft and cam shaft position sensors, brakes, muffler (later this week), wheel stud (I retard strengthed it and snapped the stud on the side of the road), fixed broken latch on the rear door, hood supports, rear glass supports (in two weeks), new tires, power steering pump, plugs, oil changes, driverside mirror and fenderflare (GF lost control side swiped a fence), high pressure hose for power steering, radiator return hose, and I have a few more things to replace as I continue to go through it. I need a new heater regulator/resistor (only works on high right now) and to fix the AC system as well. Not as luck as some on here....
Durango_USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Lookeee
2004 KJ Liberty 

Bought my '04 in '05, higher mileage but constant upkeep as they had the papers-bought from a dealership. Was pregnant and needed a newer reliable vehicle, wanted one w/warranty. Hubby pushed for this one. He didn't wait for the carfax and after we signed the papers 2 days later (system was down, um ok) carfax came back as sold by car rental agency. Scared me.

It's at 114,000 currently. Rear pinion leak this past fall. This fall passenger front window stuck 1/2 down, but got it to go back up-thank goodness!, Recall fix, had to replace both front brake lines from the calipers up to the connection on the fender well-rusted right off the caliper-luckily I found it while doing brakes and rotors- also this past fall. Feb this year speed sensor replaced d/t the brake line rub- also common; unfortunately most of these bigger issues right after she turned 100k and last night changed the blower resistor for the fan-easy fix and common issue for Lib (but I have to change the hubby's 1998 Ford Expedition resistor this weekend, so...). Alternator last spring.

Weird problems with electrical since 06, rear accessory plug stopped working in '06 or so, for no reason-didn't worry about it since I didn't really use it. However, easily blows fuses when using the plug up front, have blown other items. In line fuses on oth things when in that plug. Wouldn't power a computer on a trip to TX from IN-blown fuses and wouldn't allow use of one of those power convertors w/o blowing the fuse. Oil, tires, brakes, fluids, yadda yadda. But you know what? I've worked on many more other vehicles I've owned a LOT more. I know what's wrong with this one and relatively speaking I'm happy with it.

And can't say enough for the people on here who have helped me many times. Truly, the worst thing for me? I have 7 yr old boy and 5 yr old twins and can't get 3 boosters in back seat without it being a huge pain-every day! But the twins were a surprise blessing, so I'll deal....
Lookeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
AliciaAnn
2004 KJ Liberty 

My main problem was my transmission but I do abuse him. I had that redone and so far that's the only problem I have had but hearing all the others makes me worry. Today he hit 170,000 exact and I know I need to change the cv joint.
AliciaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey all, Let me first say, I hear ya. Both sides of the coin. My experience with cars in general is I tend to kill them. My history includes new transmissions in all 5 of my last 5 vehicles, an engine rebuild in my 88 Bronco II. About 6 months later the brand new transmission started failing again so that vehicle was taken off the road. I sold the rebuilt engine 9 months later and found the antifreeze was leaking into the transmisison, bummer. Then I had an 03 Ford Focus I drove for 5 years then had to replace the tranny. 6 months later the focus threw a rod and it was over. I'll sell that transmission soon. 95 Pathfinder, new transmission installed and then 6 months later, the whole rear end of the vehicle broke off like the San Andreas Faultline. Rust is a real killer. Fortunately, I had a personal mechanic at the time so things were kept managable. The my mechanic moved so I was forced to replace the Ford with something that was relatively easy to work on for my daughters mechanic friends. I'm not even remotely qualified to do repairs other than the odd parts replacement and brakes. So since all of her mechanic friends had Jeeps, I went out looking for one specifically. I really wanted one of the pre-liberty cherokee sport models. I dont like the Grand Cherokee's at all. Went to a dealer and test drove 2 Cherokee sports (2001 and 1999) but both had issues I didnt want to get into (rear end clunking, rust on the door frames) and I was very surprised at how cramped it felt to be inside them. So as we were leaving the dealer, turn around and see this good looking 2005 Libby just sitting there. Just got washed and returned from the dealers shop. Seems the Libby had a heater hose blow out (but one of the metal hoses had a big hole somehow) so it had antifreeze all over. Got in the car and saw 161k miles and I almost walked away. But my daughters friend, a mechanic, convinced me to give it a drive. The hose was replaced so he felt it should be ok. Took it for that drive and I loved that throaty growl I heard when I stepped on the gas. It was snowing so I threw it into 4wd and she handled like a dream. Got back to the dealer and looked over the car with a fine tooth comb, ran a ODBII check with no codes and the vehicle itself didnt have a scratch on it. The only damage was a crack in the front bumper cap on the passenger side. Big whoop. I bought the vehicle for 5 grand and have since replaced the stereo because I couldnt get the Sirius to work (bad unit I guess) and the resistor for the heater fan. The old girl runs good and so far I am happy with the purchase. I know I will have to replace the drive shaft CV joint as it vibrates when I'm over 85 MPH but I'm sure it can wait a bit. But the point is, I have learned one thing about cars over the years. No matter what, there are always the lemons in the lot. There is no way to tell based on history of a vehicle model if you are going to pull a lemon. The only thing you can do is treat it like a lady and hope for the best. Of course, it NEVER hurts to have a mechanic in your back pocket, and you have to be hyper aware of any changes in the sound or performance of the vehicle. And never ignore warning lights. They are called warning lights for a reason. When a new noise is heard, get it checked out, dont ignore it or turn up the radio to tune it out. Over the last 5 vehicles, I had really started hating to drive. Driving used to be one of my passions in life and having vehicles with all of the issues I had, it made it really hard to enjoy driving. Now, with this Jeep, I can say I am starting to enjoy it again.

Last edited by jedi105; 04-30-2013 at 07:25 AM..
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #42
Mainsail
2005 WK 

The Liberty Limited I married into has 110K, and the inside still smells like new leather seats.

Women tend to take good care of their vehicles.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #43
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail View Post
The Liberty Limited I married into has 110K, and the inside still smells like new leather seats.

Women tend to take good care of their vehicles.
You have obvisously never seen my wifes or my daughters vehicles. Lol. My daughter took over my 08 suzuki SX4 with 85k miles. She never checks the oil so 3 weeks later, I'm replacing the timing chain and tensioners (thank god for warranties). She also had a cracked windshield and the inside of the car looks like a bomb exploded inside a Burger King bag. My wifes car is in better shape but her nails tend to scratch the crap out of the door handles, the shifter knob and any other knobs she may fiddle with (keep it clean). But agian, the interior looks like a tornado hit inside a paper mill. Both cars have clothes, shoes, sun glasses and other assorted makeups and hair care products strewn about. My car, the 05 Libby, has some sand in the floor mats from getting into the vehicle.
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #44
WolfzLiberty
2003 KJ Liberty 

I purchased my 2003 Liberty Limited back in January 2013 and the only problems I've had is #6 cylinder ignition coil went out(dealer fixed), Oil Pressure sending unit, radiator hoses, and my rear window regulators are out (no big deal to me I only ever roll down the fronts anyways), and the lower ball joint recall(again dealer fix). Do regular oil changes. Have been told that my difrential seals are starting to leak, but I see no signs. No oil leaks and doesnt burn oil either. I bought her with 131,xxx miles on her and am the 3rd owner.Only real complaint I have is that I think the air intake box is a piss poor design so I will be replacing with a CAI. But otherwise I am very happy with my Liberty. She runs strong.
WolfzLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

CAI is a poor design
stay with the stock box works way better than any CAI

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.