Are the KJ's reliable after 100K? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Are the KJ's reliable after 100K?

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post
... one rear end, one transfer case, and AC, an idler pulley, an alternator, and the valve guide seals were leaking at 60k.

... transfer case, a pinion seal, AC, it started burning oil at 70k, and the tranny was starting to shift poorly when he dumped it.

... its third rear end and second transmission when his AC crapped at 70k and he gave up.
You realize that the rear end (notably the more common Chrysler 8.25), transfer cases (Command-Trac, Selec-Trac), transmissions (42RLE and 42RFE), and engines (3.7 V6) were pretty much shared across the entire Jeep Chrysler Dodge fleet, right? In fact, doesn't the JK use the same 42RLE and Command-Trac,as the KJs you mentioned were unreliable? (Your 6 speed manual trans notwithstanding)

The only KJ-specific problems you are noting here would be front differential and any CRD engine problems. You recurring issues with rear ends, transfer cases, and engines would have to be an incredible trend of bad luck as they're proven components across the entire fleet of Chrysler Jeep Dodge of vehicles. I'm not calling out you or anyone else on this thread, but I just want to get to the facts; that is, most all problems in the Chrysler Jeep Dodge world are components problems that transcend vehicle models; and far less frequently are model-specific (i.e. KJ window regulators and front differentials)

Unread 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
Spike6901

[quote=tjkj2002;14428334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike6901 View Post

Still sounds fishy or you just totally abuse the **** out of them.AC going out,happens to all vehicles regardless of who made it.Burning oil,bad PCV valve for the 3.7.Serp pulley's,again a wear item,they all will fail.Mud in the alternator does not help.T-case going out,yep I know how that happened,user error.Seals leak,what synthetic gear is best known for,easy fix by not using it.Front diffs going,that is abuse or neglect.I ran 32" tires on my D30A on some of the hardest trails here in Colorado and in MOAB and never blew apart a diff,driver skill prevents that.

I abuse mine hard and not one failed part besides a CV joint which my stupid fault anyway.
From your sig, I see that you know your stuff about the KJ so maybe my dad and I were just unlucky. We don't wheel overly hard and I hate mud so stay away when I can.

Not abused, used all Amsoil synthetic, been wheeling and owned Jeeps for 20 years from a '79 CJ, XJ, WJ, the KJ, now JK all over Colorado, New Mexico and west Texas and never had issues with any except the KJ.

Anyway, not trying to be a hater, I am telling the truth and I give up...peace and laters.
2014: Wrangler#1 Father and oldest Son build and teach project
2016: Wrangler#2 Father and youngest Son build and teach project
Spike6901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards81fan View Post
You realize that the rear end (notably the more common Chrysler 8.25), transfer cases (Command-Trac, Selec-Trac), transmissions (42RLE and 42RFE), and engines (3.7 V6) were pretty much shared across the entire Jeep Chrysler Dodge fleet, right? In fact, doesn't the JK use the same 42RLE and Command-Trac,as the KJs you mentioned were unreliable? (Your 6 speed manual trans notwithstanding)

The only KJ-specific problems you are noting here would be front differential and any CRD engine problems. You recurring issues with rear ends, transfer cases, and engines would have to be an incredible trend of bad luck as they're proven components across the entire fleet of Chrysler Jeep Dodge of vehicles. I'm not calling out you or anyone else on this thread, but I just want to get to the facts; that is, most all problems in the Chrysler Jeep Dodge world are components problems that transcend vehicle models; and far less frequently are model-specific (i.e. KJ window regulators and front differentials)
The JK's use the same 6 manual as the KJ's with the 6 speed.

[quote=Spike6901;14428456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

, used all Amsoil synthetic, :
Right there was the problem.
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
Cards81fan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The JK's use the same 6 manual as the KJ's with the 6 speed.
Well there you go

Kinda furthers the point about shared components.
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
lang9328

I bought a 05 kj renegade with 188k miles. After 4 months it has 203k miles. Radiator and the fan are the only 2 things i have replaced. Ive kept up on oil changes every 3k. Not knowing last time done. I serviced front and rear differentials along with the transfer case. Has been a very capable vehicle and i have no complaints so far. Well other than two 32 oz cups cant fit in the cup holders at same time.
lang9328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
LaKJ03
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Bought my 03 in 05 with 31k on it. At 138k, the number 6 cylinder dropped a valve thanks to a valve keeper and $4000 later a new long block was in its new home. The trans(45RFE) just got rebuilt last week ($2300) at 184k. I'll be keeping it for alittle while longer now. I have replaced 2 batteries, crankshaft sensor, U-joints on the rear axle. I lost my front driveshaft years ago thanks to the insulation hanging down and rubbing the CV boot off and ruining the joint on it. Replaced one rear taillight bulb as well. I have enjoyed it quiet a bit, but I don't think I would ever get rid of a TJ for a KJ for any reason. This drivetrain is expensive compared to others to repair or replace. I would look for a cherokee with the 4.0L. Either that or a grand cherokee if you are wanting to stay in a Jeep. If not, there are plenty of other SUVs on the market. Don't short yourself on what your TJ is worth either. I would sale mine right now for 6k. I would think your TJ would be well above that. Most are at least.
LaKJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
monduk
2004 KJ Liberty 

i have one here in the uk, a diesel 2.5 unit , the motor is great the transmission great.ecconomy good, comfertable 7 great off road thru the scit..but........i never had a car with so many niggles, heater blower intermittant, goes thru front wheel bearings for fun,chews back tyres , squeeks & rattles so annoying, it has 66k miles & if she dont settle or i adjust , its GONE !!

ps ..why are they so low ?? 4x4 ,tyre options almost nil !! who on earth designed dampers to be lower than the centre diffs !!
monduk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

Just signed the lease on an 05 Libby Limited just under a 100000 miles on it. Local junkyard here where I live says the only thing he sees with them is the motor having issues. Otherwise a great car. Still having fun trying to figure out the features.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #24
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Let me see I have a 05 Liberty sport.

118k - water pump
124k - radiator
164k- pinion bearing replaced.

out side of those wear items it's been solid!
Oil is changed every 3-4k
the tranny and diffs are serviced every 30k
The rear pinion seal started to leak and found play in line- replaced the pinion and carrier bearings and the rear is quite as can be.

would buy another one!!!!

Mark
Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

This makes me feel better as last week I picked up an 05 Libbey lmtd for the wife in addition to my 11 KK. It's just me but I'll keep these forever if they let me. Especially considering the POS they are going to.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
mightybeet
2004 KJ Liberty 

just hit 250k miles. new/used transmission after 168k, transfer case at 226k. only annoyance is the waterpump since im on my third. i have learned the importance of mopar antifreeze and waterpump combo.
mightybeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
mjj1587
2002 KJ Liberty 

We have one with 173k...owned it for a couple of years... done pretty general stuff... oil pressure sensor, wheel bearings, A/C, radiator... ALL things that will eventually need to be done on most vehicles (A/C is debatable, but...) Great vehicle! Very reliable!
mjj1587 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Well my 04s at 179,000 now, my buddy showed up this evening with his 03 with over 210,000
Both still running like tops !
water pumps, he had to replace his once, mines still stock
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #29
jester72
2003 KJ Liberty 

Trying to figure out why some go 250K miles and some don't. The obvious answer to this question will be neglect, I'm sure. NOT in my case.

My wifes honda was stollen, so we started to look for a car, for her. We found her a 2003 Liberty Sport, used with low miles. Purchased it from a co-workers mother in law. she was the original owner. It was just my wifes grocery getter. I can gaurantee this jeep was never off road, or abused. I had a 2009 Dodge Ram, we bought new. Because I have access to a lift at work, I changed the oil and filter in the jeep every time my truck told me it was time to change the oil in it. we drove the ram on trips and just used the liberty in town, and back and forth to work. It seemed I was changing the oil in the truck every 3,000 miles, not sure of the mileage between changes in the liberty, but due to use, it had to be less than the truck. After a year of owning the jeep, it started to run rough. took it to a professional ASE certified mechanic and he found one of the valve springs broken. replaced the springs and put it back together.

now, more recently, my wife who is a very cautious driver and does not abuse things, calls and says the oil light came on and started flashing. I told her to limp it home. two miles later she calls back, "the jeeps dead". she said she was driving home, it sounded like a fan belt squealing, engine dies. and when she tried to restart it it made a clunking soud like the starter banging. I called a tow truck and had it towed home and for three month here it sits. I put the tranny in "N", and a tourque wrench set at 150 ft/lbs on the haromic balancer won't budge. I'm guessing the oil light came on due to lack of oil pressure and the squealing noise was a spun bearing.

so how does a jeep with less than 85,000 miles, never off road, and never abused, with regular oil changes have this many problems?
jester72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #30
jester72
2003 KJ Liberty 

forgot to mention, when this happened we were down to one car. it was deffinately more important that she be able to get to work. she complained that the 2009 Ram was "too big, I hate to drive it, I hate to park it". So we traded in the 2009 Ram and bought her a 2012 Challenger and I'm walking to work. I can't even get her to drive the Challenger the way It was built to be driven! The Liberty when washed makes a nice shiny lawn ornament, I'd like to find a low mile used engine to swap into it, but, I'd like to know how to find a low mileage engine that will go 250K miles, not one that's going to have the same problems this one has had with well under 100k. any input?
jester72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.