KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #46
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
As I said, please let us know the source of this information and web address or a link. I'm not going to argue it. If you have the official information, let us know who and where so we can research it as we'll. otherwise you're not adding or explaining anything new. Show us how you know this information. I can certainly list my sources. Can you?
You can go to the nhtsa website and look at the safety headlines and you will see they now have it there along with the notice that will be sent to customers. Its safety recall N/46 for the Liberty. Then you can come back to this site and say that I was 100 percent correct.

RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #47
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
This says it all......potential death trap...can't believe all the arguments here saying it's not a big deal...
There's thousands of people driving around texting and talking on cell phones....don't think your immune from a rear impact collision...
I've seen many gas tanks leak from no accidents,no impacts at all.Before nhtsa made plastic gas tanks mandatory metal gas tanks would just start ramdomly leak due to corrosion,no recalls for those.

I like how all the pics used in most of those news stories show burned up vehicles with no rear end damage.There is one that showes a burned up KJ but the spare is perfectly untouched with zero signs of a rear end impact.Most of those accidents are also from high energy impacts where the occupents would have almost zero chance of surviving eitherway.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #48
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I've seen many gas tanks leak from no accidents,no impacts at all.Before nhtsa made plastic gas tanks mandatory metal gas tanks would just start ramdomly leak due to corrosion,no recalls for those.

I like how all the pics used in most of those news stories show burned up vehicles with no rear end damage.There is one that showes a burned up KJ but the spare is perfectly untouched with zero signs of a rear end impact.Most of those accidents are also from high energy impacts where the occupents would have almost zero chance of surviving either way in any vehicle.
Fixed it for you.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #49
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Wake me up when all of this nonsense has passed over.
So tired of these folks who just loved their KJs before now ranting and raving at how unsafe they are. I'll bet they have side rails on their beds as well so they don't roll out in the middle of the night. Oh wait maybe not since they wouldn't of gotten it for free
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #50
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Wake me up when all of this nonsense has passed over.
So tired of these folks who just loved their KJs before now ranting and raving at how unsafe they are. I'll bet they have side rails on their beds as well so they don't roll out in the middle of the night. Oh wait maybe not since they wouldn't of gotten it for free
Tom, KJs are unsafe. They are very dangerous. We need them off the roads now! You, tjkj, and I can handle the horrible task of taking possession of these vehicles from their owners, so that the people will be safe. We could offer to do it for charity, no charge to these people for taking these firebombs away.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #51
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Tom, KJs are unsafe. They are very dangerous. We need them off the roads now! You, tjkj, and I can handle the horrible task of taking possession of these vehicles from their owners, so that the people will be safe. We could offer to do it for charity, no charge to these people for taking these firebombs away.

...and giving everyone "smart-cars"................
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #52
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I have 100 acres almost cleared, just waiting for folks to start dropping the "firebombs" off
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #53
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post

...and giving everyone "smart-cars"................
I saw one of those rolling up the interstate a couple of days ago. Older couple , running at 55 MPH in a 65 MPH zone. Now how the heck can they be safe ?
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #54
RB145
2014 WK 

I for one do not feel that they are unsafe. I think if you look at the facts they seem to be inline with other vehicles with rear mounted tanks from what I have seen. With that said I can't believe how people just bury their heads in the sand. People on this forum just cannot accept that their is a recall weather it is right or wrong. When the letter comes in the mail I suppose they will just cover their eyes and tear it up before they can read it saying this isn't happening all the time.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes I will tear it up and throw it in the trash !
Don't need nor do I want a free hitch
I think a hitch will really mess the looks of my azz end up
plus the RL rear bumper has a way better hitch than stock to begin with.
Plus combined with the Kilby gas tank skid I'm good
But even if I had a stock bumper still wouldn't go just for free junk
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #56
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Yes I will tear it up and throw it in the trash !
Don't need nor do I want a free hitch
I think a hitch will really mess the looks of my azz end up
plus the RL rear bumper has a way better hitch than stock to begin with.
Plus combined with the Kilby gas tank skid I'm good
But even if I had a stock bumper still wouldn't go just for free junk
I know what you mean. There is nothing worse than something free. You could always tell them you want to pay.
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #57
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I for one do not feel that they are unsafe. I think if you look at the facts they seem to be inline with other vehicles with rear mounted tanks from what I have seen. With that said I can't believe how people just bury their heads in the sand. People on this forum just cannot accept that their is a recall weather it is right or wrong. When the letter comes in the mail I suppose they will just cover their eyes and tear it up before they can read it saying this isn't happening all the time.

As I said before, I am not trying to be a jerk. I am looking for the most up to date official information. I am not burying my head in the sand. I feel the vehicles are safe and I'm not concerned about the safety. I am following closely and keeping up to date so I can keep an eye on what it will do for value and resale ability. I also follows almost all recalls from auto manufacturers to keep informed. I do not like media and unofficial reports on these issues as they are usually blown out of proportion and don't tell the true story.

It bothers me when companies (in some cases) are branded as producing unsafe and defective vehicles unfairly. An example would be the mid 80's Audi 4000 that was highly publicized as having sudden acceleration issues. It hurt the company deeply and even caused Audi to change the name of the cars and effected sales. After further research it was found that the drivers that caused the issue were all inexperienced young drivers who hit the gas rather than the brake. The findings that showed audi had no safety issue was barely mentioned in the media.
Another one was jeep cj's that had an extreme rollover risk. Though they do pose a higher risk that the average car, the stats were inflated as many of the rollovers were off road. Since jeeps are more widely used off road of course they have more rollovers.
There are several cases similar to these. The publicity causes it to be more of an issue than it is.
As I said, if you have official info share it. This was not meant as an insult, rather a request for the official info. I did stress that the information would change as time goes on.
That said, the official statement and information has now been released. You are correct. Chrysler has decided to notify customers and proceed with the issues as a recall on some and campaign with others. They have also issued the official inspection criteria and upgrade information. This is official information and I do thank you for sharing it. It is funny though that nhtsa has not listed it as a recall on their current daily recall list. Also, because chrysler is issuing an actual recall, it will be a blemish on their record and effect the resale and value of the vehicles. This was an issue chrysler was not willing to do as they feel there is no safety issue. It's kinda of weird that this current official info actually contradicts each other oddly. The nhtsa does not list it as a safety recall but chrysler now does. Odd. Thank you again for posting official up to date info and sources.
In the end I think a lot of owners will rush in to get their free hitch even though they have no safety concern. These people should not be degraded though in many cases. If you don't get the recall taken care of, the vehicle will have an open recall and could effect the resale value and sale ability.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #58
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I have 100 acres almost cleared, just waiting for folks to start dropping the "firebombs" off
If you get another derecho like you guys got last year, you won't have to clear a thing, the wind will do it for you. My parents lost 20+ trees from that event last year, east of Columbus in licking county.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #59
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
.Most of those accidents are also from high energy impacts where the occupents would have almost zero chance of surviving eitherway.
Look over the document here...there is a substantial number of "FIRES" involved in these Jeep accidents - the majority of them where the CAUSE of death. *LOOK FOR "F's" on left side near date of accident.

http://www.autosafety.org/sites/defa...pFARSLog_5.pdf

F Indicated in FARS as most harmful: "fire/explosion."
F-A Fire listed as cause of death in autopsy report or death certificate.
F-L Fire indicated as cause of death in litigation.
F-R Fire indicated as cause of death in accident report.
F-ODI Fire indicated as cause of death by NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #60
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2site View Post
Look over the document here...there is a substantial number of "FIRES" involved in these Jeep accidents - the majority of them where the CAUSE of death. *LOOK FOR "F's" on left side near date of accident.

http://www.autosafety.org/sites/defa...pFARSLog_5.pdf

F Indicated in FARS as most harmful: "fire/explosion."
F-A Fire listed as cause of death in autopsy report or death certificate.
F-L Fire indicated as cause of death in litigation.
F-R Fire indicated as cause of death in accident report.
F-ODI Fire indicated as cause of death by NHTSA’s Office of Defects Investigation
The main pic most news places have been using,where is the rear end damage?

Look a KK with a mid mounted gas tank............

Sorry no way around a fire in that accident,no matter if the gas tank was mid mounted or not since the diff would have puntured it anyways.

Again nothing would have not caused a fire in this one either.

Oh look another KK with a mid mounted gas tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.