KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #31
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Doesn't have anything to do with accepting it
Depends on which news feed you read and which slant you want to take

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #32
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Doesn't have anything to do with accepting it
Depends on which news feed you read and which slant you want to take
I'm going by what Chrysler said. It doesn't have anything to do with any slant from any news feed. I really don't know what else to say about it. They say they are going to Recall liberty's. At least that is what I read in the news
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Already have a hitch installed, which interestingly enough, is what I said would give more protection in an earlier post. Not too concerned, but if I get a recall notice, I'll gladly take mine off, go to the dealer, make them put one on for free and resell one of them. Not going to go out of my way though.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #34
RB145
2011 WK 

I am also one that thinks its unnecessary but I understand why they are doing it and I think its the right decision from a PR standpoint. If they continued to refuse the recall the news media would drive this into the ground and really tarnish the jeep name. So I am glad they are doing it. It doesn't really matter what you call it weather it be recall or service campaign or notification. The bottom line is they will be contacting these owners and this is the fix or extra protection or whatever you want to call it.
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #35
Jeepguy4276

I didn't think they were contacting owners. I understood it to be "at consumer request" they will inspect the vehicle but still feel no repair is required and no safety issue exists. There is so much info coming out and nothing is completely set yet, just that chrysler agreed to satisfy consumer concerns. Every news story is saying something just a little different. The gov't says something a bit different but does say they feel a safety recall with a repair that included new ventilation hoses and a stronger filler hose as well as heavy duty skid plates should have been put in place instead. Chrysler says something different and says it recognizes the concern of consumers and has agreed to inspect vehicles and install "improvements and upgrades" to vehicles at the customers request though there is no safety issue or "repair" needed.

Until the official "upgrade" is determined and an inspection process as well as dealer training and reimbursement rates are released, nothing is going to be accurate. Since this is chrysler doing this voluntarily, the gov't is not pressing further to force what they feel the repair to the "consumer safety" issue be implemented and recall be issued.

It doesn't matter what someone calls it. Chrysler is going to try to address consumer concerns. They are going to deal with the pr issue head on and hopefully the issue will go away and not be a permanent blemish on jeep or the liberty. They dealt with "extreme roll over risk" concerns with the cj and wrangler. This will pass.

Also, so far, it is speculated that jeep will install or replace hitches on the vehicles even if they have one. It has to be a chrysler hitch or or it needs to be replaced. So, I wonder what class hitch they'll use.
Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #36
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
So, I wonder what class hitch they'll use.
Well if you have the tow package you already have a classIII hitch so you will not get anything,no tow package they most likely install a class II hitch since without the rest of the tow package(to include the HD cooling) your still limited to 2500lbs max tow rating.They don't want to cause any other future issues by installing a higher rated tow hitch on a vehicle not setup for more towing.This will hold very true for manual trans KJ's since they can not tow more then 3500lbs regardless if they have the tow package or not due to the clutch.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #37
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Well if you have the tow package you already have a classIII hitch so you will not get anything,no tow package they most likely install a class II hitch since without the rest of the tow package(to include the HD cooling) your still limited to 2500lbs max tow rating.They don't want to cause any other future issues by installing a higher rated tow hitch on a vehicle not setup for more towing.This will hold very true for manual trans KJ's since they can not tow more then 3500lbs regardless if they have the tow package or not due to the clutch.

That's what I was wondering. Since different options on individual vehicles effect the towing capacity, is there a set hitch that works for all listed vehicles. The tow package has the chrysler hitch, no hitch is needed unless the hitch is damaged. Will the class II be enough but not too much for all the possibilities?
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #38
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
I didn't think they were contacting owners. I understood it to be "at consumer request" they will inspect the vehicle but still feel no repair is required and no safety issue exists. There is so much info coming out and nothing is completely set yet, just that chrysler agreed to satisfy consumer concerns. Every news story is saying something just a little different. The gov't says something a bit different but does say they feel a safety recall with a repair that included new ventilation hoses and a stronger filler hose as well as heavy duty skid plates should have been put in place instead. Chrysler says something different and says it recognizes the concern of consumers and has agreed to inspect vehicles and install "improvements and upgrades" to vehicles at the customers request though there is no safety issue or "repair" needed.

Until the official "upgrade" is determined and an inspection process as well as dealer training and reimbursement rates are released, nothing is going to be accurate. Since this is chrysler doing this voluntarily, the gov't is not pressing further to force what they feel the repair to the "consumer safety" issue be implemented and recall be issued.

It doesn't matter what someone calls it. Chrysler is going to try to address consumer concerns. They are going to deal with the pr issue head on and hopefully the issue will go away and not be a permanent blemish on jeep or the liberty. They dealt with "extreme roll over risk" concerns with the cj and wrangler. This will pass.

Also, so far, it is speculated that jeep will install or replace hitches on the vehicles even if they have one. It has to be a chrysler hitch or or it needs to be replaced. So, I wonder what class hitch they'll use.
You understood wrong. They are contacting owners because its a safety recall. You are correct that they said they do not agree, but they are going to go ahead and conduct the recall to satisfy customer concerns. Its not speculation that they will install hitches. They stated that they will do an inspection and install hitches. They are sending out a recall letter explaining this but the parts are not available yet and they will notify when they are.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #39
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
You understood wrong. They are contacting owners because its a safety recall. You are correct that they said they do not agree, but they are going to go ahead and conduct the recall to satisfy customer concerns. Its not speculation that they will install hitches. They stated that they will do an inspection and install hitches. They are sending out a recall letter explaining this but the parts are not available yet and they will notify when they are.
Wow. I guess you must have an inside contact in chrysler. The chrysler press release says nothing similar to that. Nothing has been published by chrysler with that info. Since this is not a safety recall, chrysler has much more say in how this is handled. This is not a safety defect. Chrysler is not doing the recall requested on the 2.7 million vehicles. They are running the campaign on 1.5 million. This will not be considered a defect. This is not a nhtsa safety recall. It is not listed on their list of recalls or defects. Look it up. If you a reading or listening to the news, you are not getting the correct official info. Nothing official supports your statement.

You apparently want to argue this with forum members for some reason. I will not argue. If you have official information from chrysler or the nhtsa, please post the source and post the site. No argument needed, research is.

Please let us know if you find something, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I have researched this and will continue to do so in hopes to keep current on the situation. I know the media reports and publicity make the issue more confusing. I'm not a chrysler official and have not say in on the negotiations with nhtsa. I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to keep track of the correct official info.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #40
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysaal View Post
Unfortunately, 51 have died from the Jeep gas tank issue, where 27 died from Pinto's issue.
The REAL number is close to 300 deaths....burning to death after surviving the accident! 51 is NHTSA's incomplete number.

"Over 287 people have died in 202 fiery crashes involving 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees"

http://www.change.org/petitions/chry...death-in-jeeps

Your guy's Liberty's our riskier than the G. Cherokee's ...I've seen them...the gas tank's sitting there like a bullseye.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #41
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysaal View Post
I was rear-ended by a Honda about five years ago. The guy was probably doing less than 20 mph and my gas tank leaked afterwards. I remember how shocked I was that the small accident resulted in a leak. Fortunately, he wasn't going 50 mph or anything,

This says it all......potential death trap...can't believe all the arguments here saying it's not a big deal...
There's thousands of people driving around texting and talking on cell phones....don't think your immune from a rear impact collision...
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #42
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

On a side note, Id double check those stats. That was a pretty liberal site and they have certainly been known to skew the truth!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #43
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2013/0...-jeep-outlier/

This is an interesting read on the issue. Some very valid points are made on the issue here. Statistics can easily be skewed to say whatever you want. Death rates are not a good measuring stick for safety design or else manufacturers would make cars riskier and riskier so long as nobody dies. The real question is was this design as safe as it should have been or could have been. To be honest, we may never get the truthful answer with the flow of business and politics.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #44
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Wow. I guess you must have an inside contact in chrysler. The chrysler press release says nothing similar to that. Nothing has been published by chrysler with that info. Since this is not a safety recall, chrysler has much more say in how this is handled. This is not a safety defect. Chrysler is not doing the recall requested on the 2.7 million vehicles. They are running the campaign on 1.5 million. This will not be considered a defect. This is not a nhtsa safety recall. It is not listed on their list of recalls or defects. Look it up. If you a reading or listening to the news, you are not getting the correct official info. Nothing official supports your statement.

You apparently want to argue this with forum members for some reason. I will not argue. If you have official information from chrysler or the nhtsa, please post the source and post the site. No argument needed, research is.

Please let us know if you find something, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I have researched this and will continue to do so in hopes to keep current on the situation. I know the media reports and publicity make the issue more confusing. I'm not a chrysler official and have not say in on the negotiations with nhtsa. I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to keep track of the correct official info.
I don't want to argue at all, but people keep posting incorrect information and stating it as fact. This is not hard to understand and yes they have stated what they plan to do its no secret. I will go ahead an explain it again. The original request by nhtsa was to recall 2.7 million but the actual recall is going to be for 1.5 million. This is because they origianally wanted Chrysler to recall all Grand Cherokees from 1993 to 2004 and Jeep Libertys from 2002-2007. The actual recall is for 1993 to 1998 Grand Cherokees and 2002 to 2007 Jeep LIbertys. The 1999 to 2004 Grand Cherokees which account for the 1.2 million difference are not being recalled those are the ones getting the Customer campaign notice. So the Safety Recall is for the Liberty and the ZJ Grand Cherokee.
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #45
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to argue at all, but people keep posting incorrect information and stating it as fact. This is not hard to understand and yes they have stated what they plan to do its no secret. I will go ahead an explain it again. The original request by nhtsa was to recall 2.7 million but the actual recall is going to be for 1.5 million. This is because they origianally wanted Chrysler to recall all Grand Cherokees from 1993 to 2004 and Jeep Libertys from 2002-2007. The actual recall is for 1993 to 1998 Grand Cherokees and 2002 to 2007 Jeep LIbertys. The 1999 to 2004 Grand Cherokees which account for the 1.2 million difference are not being recalled those are the ones getting the Customer campaign notice. So the Safety Recall is for the Liberty and the ZJ Grand Cherokee.
As I said, please let us know the source of this information and web address or a link. I'm not going to argue it. If you have the official information, let us know who and where so we can research it as we'll. otherwise you're not adding or explaining anything new. Show us how you know this information. I can certainly list my sources. Can you?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.