KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard

Im surprised I haven't seen anything on here about the news article on KJs. Chrysler is resisting NTSA efforts to get virtually all KJs and Cherokees recalled under the premise that there is an extreme risk of explosion or fire in a rear end collision. Gas tanks are susceptible which if you look at yours you'll likely agree is a huge hazard! 51 people have died so far.

Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=193...p%3D-1%26sk%3D
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
02libbyfirstcar
2002 KJ Liberty 

It says how 1 in a million owners have died from this crash in the Cherokee and .9 out of a million for the Liberty. I'm not to worried about it
02libbyfirstcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Bunch of BS is all it is
If you're worried buy a Kilby gas tank skid as it may help
other than that drive it and forget it
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
dubvtb3

Exactly, I was thinking since the kj's and grand Cherokees have a high rear end, no **** they'll catch fire when hit from behind, these low nosed cars, like my dad's Grand Prix if they hit hard enough should make a beeline for the gas tank. In that case, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Just gotta be vigilant and not have someone doing 80 mph more than you rear end it.
dubvtb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

This is absolutely rediculous. Just another reason for you to fear driving anything. There are tons of vehicles out there that are designed with the tank behind the rear axle. I know, let's recall every vehicle out there and start riding bikes. Oh wait, you could fall over on bikes. Lets recall all bikes for falling hazard! To hell with these terrorists.
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

There are many vehicles on the road with rear gas tanks besides the KJ, WJ, XJ and other older jeeps. My KJ has a gas tank skid and a class 3 hitch. I am not worried about it.

Years ago I had a Bronco11 with a rear mounted gas tank, a gas tank skid and a class 111 hitch. (similar set up to the KJ) I was stopped in traffic and got rear ended by a camry and he went under my bumper and hit me dead center on my hitch and drove it through his radiator and into his hood and folded the hood. You could still see the squaire imprint of the hitch in his folded up hood. (LOL) ....They had to tow him away. I had no damage to the bumper or hitch or gas tank skid or gas tank.

Anyway, every vehicle rolling down the interstate at high speeds is a rolling fire hazard if the circumstances of the crash are exactly right. I am not worried about it.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I got hit one day sitting in traffic by a PT Cruiser
It took out the grill / hood/ radiator etc, had to towed off the road
knocked the dust off of my spare is about all it done
Cop kept looking for damage on mine but wasn't any really
Of course with a hitch, Kilby gas tank skid, now an RL bumper bring it on
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

I was rear-ended by a Honda about five years ago. The guy was probably doing less than 20 mph and my gas tank leaked afterwards. I remember how shocked I was that the small accident resulted in a leak. Fortunately, he wasn't going 50 mph or anything, but the tank was replaced along with the body work.

Fortunately, those of us on here are not a part of those deadly stats, but this looks to be worse than the Ford Pinto issue (my first car, by the way). I wonder how many of the 51 deceased were on the Jeep Forum?
jeremysaal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Worse than the Pinto
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
jeremysaal
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Worse than the Pinto
Unfortunately, 51 have died from the Jeep gas tank issue, where 27 died from Pinto's issue. Obviously, there are more Jeeps on the road than there were Pinto's back then (still millions of them), but the sad reality is that the average Cherokee or Liberty owner is not equipped with the skid plates or other necessary devices for safety. Again, my gas tank leaked after I was rear-ended, so I have seen the proof.

I'm an optimist, and always enjoy your posts, but in reality, Chrysler needs to do something with the bad PR right away and find a way to prevent this from happening.
jeremysaal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Forget a recall free gas tank skids for all!
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
BajPaj

Never again

After being a loyal jeep purchaser for almost 15 years, I will never buy another Jeep again, because of Chrysler's refusal of recalling defective Cherokee's and Liberty's. I own one of those defective vehicles, and I have read the stories of those who have died. My next purchase will be a Chevy.
BajPaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajPaj View Post
After being a loyal jeep purchaser for almost 15 years, I will never buy another Jeep again, because of Chrysler's refusal of recalling defective Cherokee's and Liberty's. I own one of those defective vehicles, and I have read the stories of those who have died. My next purchase will be a Chevy.
Oh the other company forced into a recall for gas tanks that like to explode in which the news channel got caught for rigging explosives on vehicles for the news.

If you read all the facts you will see how baseless this is as you have a better chance of wining the lottery then burning to death in a ZJ/WK/KJ.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
RogueKJ
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
Forget a recall free gas tank skids for all!

X2 an some steal bumpers from RL
RogueKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.