JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KJ Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/)
-   -   KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/kjs-news-fire-explosion-hazard-1532979/)

Skipper6413 06-06-2013 04:46 AM

KJs in News for Fire/Explosion Hazard

Im surprised I haven't seen anything on here about the news article on KJs. Chrysler is resisting NTSA efforts to get virtually all KJs and Cherokees recalled under the premise that there is an extreme risk of explosion or fire in a rear end collision. Gas tanks are susceptible which if you look at yours you'll likely agree is a huge hazard! 51 people have died so far.

Skipper6413 06-06-2013 04:49 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=193...p%3D-1%26sk%3D

02libbyfirstcar 06-06-2013 06:28 AM

It says how 1 in a million owners have died from this crash in the Cherokee and .9 out of a million for the Liberty. I'm not to worried about it

tommudd 06-06-2013 07:00 AM

Bunch of BS is all it is
If you're worried buy a Kilby gas tank skid as it may help
other than that drive it and forget it

dubvtb3 06-06-2013 11:10 AM

Exactly, I was thinking since the kj's and grand Cherokees have a high rear end, no **** they'll catch fire when hit from behind, these low nosed cars, like my dad's Grand Prix if they hit hard enough should make a beeline for the gas tank. In that case, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Just gotta be vigilant and not have someone doing 80 mph more than you rear end it.

JeepWKHemi 06-06-2013 11:25 AM

This is absolutely rediculous. Just another reason for you to fear driving anything. There are tons of vehicles out there that are designed with the tank behind the rear axle. I know, let's recall every vehicle out there and start riding bikes. Oh wait, you could fall over on bikes. Lets recall all bikes for falling hazard! To hell with these terrorists.

DaveJKJ 06-06-2013 11:58 AM

There are many vehicles on the road with rear gas tanks besides the KJ, WJ, XJ and other older jeeps. My KJ has a gas tank skid and a class 3 hitch. I am not worried about it.

Years ago I had a Bronco11 with a rear mounted gas tank, a gas tank skid and a class 111 hitch. (similar set up to the KJ) I was stopped in traffic and got rear ended by a camry and he went under my bumper and hit me dead center on my hitch and drove it through his radiator and into his hood and folded the hood. You could still see the squaire imprint of the hitch in his folded up hood. (LOL) ....They had to tow him away. I had no damage to the bumper or hitch or gas tank skid or gas tank.

Anyway, every vehicle rolling down the interstate at high speeds is a rolling fire hazard if the circumstances of the crash are exactly right. I am not worried about it.

tommudd 06-06-2013 12:42 PM

I got hit one day sitting in traffic by a PT Cruiser
It took out the grill / hood/ radiator etc, had to towed off the road
knocked the dust off of my spare is about all it done
Cop kept looking for damage on mine but wasn't any really
Of course with a hitch, Kilby gas tank skid, now an RL bumper bring it on

jeremysaal 06-06-2013 05:53 PM

I was rear-ended by a Honda about five years ago. The guy was probably doing less than 20 mph and my gas tank leaked afterwards. I remember how shocked I was that the small accident resulted in a leak. Fortunately, he wasn't going 50 mph or anything, but the tank was replaced along with the body work.

Fortunately, those of us on here are not a part of those deadly stats, but this looks to be worse than the Ford Pinto issue (my first car, by the way). I wonder how many of the 51 deceased were on the Jeep Forum?

tommudd 06-06-2013 05:59 PM

Worse than the Pinto :rofl:

jeremysaal 06-06-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommudd (Post 15528808)
Worse than the Pinto :rofl:

Unfortunately, 51 have died from the Jeep gas tank issue, where 27 died from Pinto's issue. Obviously, there are more Jeeps on the road than there were Pinto's back then (still millions of them), but the sad reality is that the average Cherokee or Liberty owner is not equipped with the skid plates or other necessary devices for safety. Again, my gas tank leaked after I was rear-ended, so I have seen the proof.

I'm an optimist, and always enjoy your posts, but in reality, Chrysler needs to do something with the bad PR right away and find a way to prevent this from happening.

RIPNBST 06-06-2013 07:44 PM

Forget a recall free gas tank skids for all!

BajPaj 06-06-2013 07:53 PM

Never again

After being a loyal jeep purchaser for almost 15 years, I will never buy another Jeep again, because of Chrysler's refusal of recalling defective Cherokee's and Liberty's. I own one of those defective vehicles, and I have read the stories of those who have died. My next purchase will be a Chevy.

tjkj2002 06-06-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BajPaj (Post 15529415)
After being a loyal jeep purchaser for almost 15 years, I will never buy another Jeep again, because of Chrysler's refusal of recalling defective Cherokee's and Liberty's. I own one of those defective vehicles, and I have read the stories of those who have died. My next purchase will be a Chevy.

Oh the other company forced into a recall for gas tanks that like to explode in which the news channel got caught for rigging explosives on vehicles for the news.

If you read all the facts you will see how baseless this is as you have a better chance of wining the lottery then burning to death in a ZJ/WK/KJ.

RogueKJ 06-06-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIPNBST (Post 15529376)
Forget a recall free gas tank skids for all!

X2 an some steal bumpers from RL:2thumbsup:

The time now is 06:01 AM.