KJ Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJ Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesThe Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
cctrudel
1999 WJ 

KJ Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement

Last week, the Traction control was coming on while on dry pavement, then the 3 lights -- ABS, ESP/BAC, and Traction -- came on. Took it to the dealer since I was trying to get on the road for a trip. Dealership service told me it was the left rear wheel speed sensor that needed to be replaced. I had them order the part, but I don't think I need to pay them $100 to install this thing.

I located the old one, and it looks like I just remove the wiring harness / bolt. Then, insert the new one and replace the bolt / wiring harness.

Has anyone worked on this part before? Anything else I should keep in mind while working on this?

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L -RIP

1986 & 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ - RIP
cctrudel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
2006renegade
2006 KJ Liberty 

2006 renegade same problem

well, i have had this problem also, 3 weeks ago (92kmiles btw) - took it to the dealer and they replaced the right wheel speed sensor. i didnt even get it out of the lot and it was on again, so drove it right back into the service bay and showed them. they kept it for a day and (for free mind you) fixed the rear harness.

tuesday (july 12) i noticed the jeep was not driving right, seemed to have a hesitation. then the real problem started - during acceleration, the esp light flashes, as if it was on slick/icy roads, but on dry pavement. it bucks and acts like its trying to brake, then all the lights come on and it drives normal. I expect its another wheel sensor..... going to try and replace them myself and save the $200+ the dealer will sock me with. Love my jeep, just wish it was a little more plain jane with regard to electronics - too many bells and whistles always lead to too many issues with age. grrrrrr

did you have any luck on your replacement?
also, i had a blowout a few months ago and the tire place gave me a new tire (left rear). the right tire has about 60% treadloss - they said there would be no problems with the 2 different treads - any experts out there think this could be the cause of my degrading sensors???

thanks!
2006renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
cctrudel
1999 WJ 

I easily replaced the sensor.

1) engage emergency brake.
2) using floor jack lifted up rear left.
3) supported with a jack stand on rear frame.
4) removed the wiring harness by sliding the red tab out
5) used pliers to gently slide the wire harness off.
6) using 10mm socket, removed the bolt and pulled out old sensor
7) inserted new sensor and bolted in place
8) slide the wiring harness back onto the sensor
9) lifted frame with floor jack, removed jack stand
10) lower vehicle and test drive

took all of 15 minutes....cleaner than an oil change!

I have 59K on my 2006 Liberty. The old sensor had dried mud on it. I did take this thing to the OBX beaches 2 years ago, but I have not done any serious mudding. I'm sure the road salt didn't help either.

Unread 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
2006renegade
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the info - I am hoping to find the sensors locally. I got under the jeep last night, and it actually looked pretty simple, and your list confirms that.

I assume that once it was done, the false skidding and bucking stopped?
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
cctrudel
1999 WJ 

oh yeah, no more skidding light, nor bucking or grinding sound. I wonder if we could just clean the sensor with some rubbing alcohol or something to make it work?

Unread 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
2006renegade
2006 KJ Liberty 

if i wasnt so mad at the braking and bucking and grinding, i would take a few extra minutes and find out! it has gotten much worse - i found 1 sensor locally and know which one was replaced 3 weeks ago, so i will gamble and try the other!
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
2006renegade
2006 KJ Liberty 

well, as an update, i have pulled the 40amp fuse for the ABS to maintain drivability - i could barely drive 10 feet without the brakes going haywire, acting like a bucking bronco! even after i replaced both rear wheel sensors! when i press the ESP OFF button, (which can only be activated when the lights are NOT all on) it still acts nearly the same (i read that the esp off is not a real off switch, more of a 'limited off' switch, with some functionality still on)

with the fuse out, it drives normally, with all 3 lights on - i would be tempted to leave it this way, but i miss my cruise control! so, ordered the two front sensors, as it appears that these must be the problem.

i just hate it when my electronics think they can drive better than me...

Last edited by 2006renegade; 07-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: typos
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
Irishguy24
2006 KJ Liberty 

just had this issue start happening while i was hauling a 6x12 trailer from colorado to florida.....lf sensor went out, dealership said they wanted 239 for parts and labor to fix it.......the guys jaw dropped when i told him the sensor better be gold plated and drive the jeep for me....ordered the part looking forward to replacing it myself
Irishguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #9
ridem4x4

I just purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 I noticed going down the dry road that the esp light would come on. Looked in the owners manual to find out what esp is, when I got home smelled like my brakes were burning. If I put the car in neutral shut it off and restart it resets the computer and the problem goes away for 15 min or a day. I am assuming there are 4 wheel sensors reading the post seems like right rear is main culprit. Sense I don't want to assume is there just one sensor or four?
Thanks
ridem4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #10
cctrudel
1999 WJ 

There are 4 wheel sensors, plus the differential has a sensor. 2006 was the first time jeep put the esp into the liberty. It's prone to failure. I took mine to the dealer to have them diagnose the issue before replacing it. My liberty is long gone, burned up nearly 3 years ago.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/k...-hood-1415761/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.