KJ reliability/common issues? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
gijeep02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

KJ reliability/common issues?

I'm usually in the TJ forums as I am addicted to building and wheeling TJ/LJs, so I'm looking for some help here. My wife is now terrified of driving her 2007 JK Unlimited due to having the death wobble. It was repaired under warranty but I know it will return as they only masked the problem with a new heavy duty steering stabilizer. So instead of me having to worry about her driving this jeep and me having to constantly check on front end components we are considering selling/trading her jeep for a 4x4 with an IFS....she doesn't need the offroad capability that a solid axle setup provides. Sooooo, what can you tell me about a KJ? Are they fairly reliable? What should I be on the lookout for? Common issues? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 01:11 PM
monduk
2004 KJ Liberty 

had mine 4 years no real issues(2.5crd) heater relay, behind glove box usually goes & is a 15 minute job & cheep $12 , keep it well serviced use correct oils..thats it 90k miles & no real problems, drives comfortable & heaters are amazing

www.sweethillshootingsyndicate.co.uk

" when only the best will do "
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

194,000 and no real issues as long as you keep up on the maintenance
If run hot like any of them you'll have issues
05s-07s have window issues but easily repaired

04 KJ 4.5 JBA lift, 03 KJ 2.5 JBA coilovers,
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM
remmons
Web Wheeler

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijeep02 View Post
I'm usually in the TJ forums as I am addicted to building and wheeling TJ/LJs, so I'm looking for some help here. My wife is now terrified of driving her 2007 JK Unlimited due to having the death wobble. It was repaired under warranty but I know it will return as they only masked the problem with a new heavy duty steering stabilizer. So instead of me having to worry about her driving this jeep and me having to constantly check on front end components we are considering selling/trading her jeep for a 4x4 with an IFS....she doesn't need the offroad capability that a solid axle setup provides. Sooooo, what can you tell me about a KJ? Are they fairly reliable? What should I be on the lookout for? Common issues? Thanks.
I have only had my Liberty for three weeks, so I can't give any input on this one, other than that thus far, I absolutely love how it drives and handles, and wheels.

But, I have owned a 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara (and a 1984 XJ), and it was a great machine....until it had developed the case of severe death wobble. I have had all control arm bushings replaced, as well as ball joints, steering dampers, front end alignment, you name it. It seems that all Jeeps (and Dodge trucks) with the QuadraLink suspension may or will develop the dreaded Death Wobble due to it's inherent design. Not all of them do, but it's more prevalent than we realize.

Robert.

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk V6.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

I have had mine for three years now and the only thing I have repaired is the water pump and that was very easy to do. Regular fluid changes and spark plugs about every 50k km will keep it purring like a kitten. Absolutely love it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.....Enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.