KJ losing Anti Freeze - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJ losing Anti Freeze

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
sds9700

KJ losing Anti Freeze

I have a 2005 KJ that is losing about a 1/4 gallon of anti freeze every 2 or 3 weeks. I've had the rig since the first of the year. Checked the AF it when I bought and the level looked good. About 6 weeks ago I took it to our mechanic (not jiffy lube) for a oil change and do a check on all fluids.

All looked good. No overheating yet. Then my wife was driving home from work on the first warm day of the year and saw billows of steam coming out of the engine compartment on the passenger side. When I got home the next day I took a look and the reservoir bottle and it was full of fluid. Squeezed the inlet hose (I think) to the radiator. When squeezed I saw no indication that there was any fluid inside. Drove the rig around for a couple of minutes, got back and the reservoir was empty. It took more than a half a gallon to fill. I drove it for the next 2 weeks and there were some very warm days, no problem.

Last week we drove it about 15 miles of mostly freeway and when stopped the was some steam coming out from under the hood. There was only about 2" of AF in the bottle. Added more and drove it for a couple of days. Checked it today and there was hardly any in the bottle. So far I've added about 1.25 gallons.

No leaks on the ground at all, the only time I smell AF is when it overheated. Oil looks good as well.

Thanks for the help.

sds9700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Check the drivers side radiator side tank,upper corner behind the rubber flap and just above the upper mounting tab.That is the common cracking point for a KJ radiator and easily missed.
Unread 05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Anoon
2003 KJ Liberty 

Same issue with mine, plastic side of radiator on driver's side had crack. 2003 with 163,000 miles. Easy replacement at home.
Anoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

Check for evidence around the water pump. It can leak quite a bit and never hit the ground.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
02jeepliberty

I too have the same issue, today I checked it just because and realized it was really low, below the cold fill line! So I squeezed the big tube at the top of the radiator and watched it fill up somewhat again. But I'm still adding coolant
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.