KJ and 3.7L in general a winner or loser? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > KJ and 3.7L in general a winner or loser?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

KJ and 3.7L in general a winner or loser?

Considering looking for a 2005 ish KJ with under or around 100k mi for a daily driver for my daughter. Not concerned about lift or mods limits vs solid axle XJ, etc.

Reading about a lot of window problems (not uncommon Chrysler elec. issues), premature ball joint, control arm, driveshaft failures and multiple 3.7L problems.

All vehicles have typical weak points and Jeep is no exception, but is the Liberty and the 3.7L a solid reliable vehicle (if maintained, of course) or a dud?

I realize objectivity may be questionable on a Jeep enthusiast site.

If you look at my sig you'll see I have some familiar horses in the stable and experienced a lot of the typical trouble spots on those models; I'm drinking the Kool-Aid too but trying to see through it.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
jtcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Very reliable!
Like any vehicle take care of it and it'll last
Mine has over 190,000 on it, bought it new so have done all of the maintenance plus some, , buddies 03 has over 220,000 oh and neither have had window problems , thats mainly later 05s-06 etc
front driveshaft boot yes they need replaced but thats a regular wear item, NOT a problem area

Have to remember most of the *****ing and moaning you read on the forums is from folks who don't maintain their vehicles and then ***** when they break down.
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

100,000+ miles ... the water pump is the only non wear item I have had to replace. Very reliable IMO

oh... almost forgot the drvr rear brake caliper seized ... so 2 repairs
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

I agree with the the previous responses. And since you have a WJ with the 4.7L you are already familiar with the 3.7 - it's the same engine with 2 cylinders lopped off. The same block, accessories, injectors, plugs, etc. If you can get a maintenance record on the KJ you're looking at that would help.

If you purchase it stay up on the routine maintenance (I know, common sense. But we know it's not so common anymore...) and the KJ should take care of you for a long time. And if anything does go wrong they're easy to work on.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

The 3.7L is reliable overall I think. Not just used in the KJ and KK. There's a lot of them out there. They were also used in the Dodge Dakota, and the base engine in the Grand Cheroke and Commander. Plus, people will come on a forum and complain about an engine problem a lot faster than they will just go on a forum and say it is good and they have no problems. Maintenance is the key I think (oil changes, using the proper fluids etc.) as with any vehicle.

Also, most of the window regulator problems were in 06-07 model years from what I've read.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

All I can say is I just bought a used KJ 3.7 with 121K miles and the carfax was about as clean and consistant as one could ever hope for.

The ride sold me. I've driven minivans, suvs, cuvs and trucks but this was different. The handling, the turning radius. And I haven't even gotten into the mountain snow that I bought it for (snowmobiling, towing a pair) which I have no concerns about whatsoever!

Plus heated seats and rearview mirrors! bonus points!!
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

We had problems with ours but it was due to missed maintainence. Check the oil often, watch the temp gauge.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I'll throw in an alternate view. We've had our 2005 KJ from new and it's always been serviced on time, but reliability is only average. Problems started within weeks of taking delivery, with juddering on braking due to warped rotors - the dealership had to replace them twice before the problem was solved.

We've had the regulator problem on both rear windows (one was replaced under warranty and then broke again six months later), a shot driveshaft, the rust issue around the high-level brake lamp, a new PS high pressure hose and steering rack, a trans rebuild, and we're on our third radiator - only our second water pump, though.

Also, be aware that some (not all) KJ engines are at risk of dropping a valve seat on cylinder 2, a problem acknowledged by Chrysler and covered under warranty - but all the potentially-affected KJs are well out of warranty by now.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
I'll throw in an alternate view. We've had our 2005 KJ from new and it's always been serviced on time, but reliability is only average. Problems started within weeks of taking delivery, with juddering on braking due to warped rotors - the dealership had to replace them twice before the problem was solved.

We've had the regulator problem on both rear windows (one was replaced under warranty and then broke again six months later), a shot driveshaft, the rust issue around the high-level brake lamp, a new PS high pressure hose and steering rack, a trans rebuild, and we're on our third radiator - only our second water pump, though.

Also, be aware that some (not all) KJ engines are at risk of dropping a valve seat on cylinder 2, a problem acknowledged by Chrysler and covered under warranty - but all the potentially-affected KJs are well out of warranty by now.
Like any vehicle you get good ones and bad ones.Just happens the KJ's with the 3.7 are generally more good then bad.My '02 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I've had about 50 or so over the years.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.