Kinda confused - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Kinda confused

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
EvilSnipa

Kinda confused

I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport. The ball joints on the front are going and it's already had the recall joints install years ago. I want to replace the top and bottom joints on both sides. And while I'm at it throw in some new struts. So, with the top joints it seems like a better deal to get the whole a arm with joint in it. MOOG is what they been telling me to use. But it's really confusing me on what I should be getting. Does someone think they could maybe give me part numbers and websites to check out. Thanks for any help!

EvilSnipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...893&cc=1386851

I replaced both front uppers and lowers on my 98Ranger with greasable Moogs and very easy swap. Did the whole arms for the uppers just the joint in the lowers. Not sure if the one's in the link above are greasable. Just click the continue shopping in the upper right and you'll go back to the catalog. Then find the year and category and you'll see other options.
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You can not just replace the ball joints on the upper control arms, you have to replace the whole arm OR go with jeepinbyal aftermarket UCAs which have replaceable UBJs
greaseable lowers should be the K1399s (MOOG)
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Once you put the Moog UCAs on you will be likely be able to replace just the joints. The factories you cannot as Tom said. Just like my Ranger. Also the 1399s are not greaseble. Bummer.
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Some are greasable ( Moog LBJs )

None of the factory style UCAs have replaceable ball joints, all are the same as stock. Only ones that have a replaceable ball joint are the jeepinbyal ones
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yes some are. All the ones I ordered for my Ranger were (you could get nongrease ones) but the 1399 for the KJ are not.
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Mine are
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'd like a set then. Catalog says they are not. Where'd you get them?
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Can't remember the name of the parts store, local one where I lived before But Moog and I grease them every 3000 miles

Summit Racing has them
Moog Chassis Parts K3199 - Moog Ball Joints

Click here for more information about Moog Chassis Parts K3199 - Moog Ball Joints
Compare
Ball Joint, Greasable, Lower, Jeep, Each

Part Number: MOG-K3199 More Detail...

Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow

38.97 each
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'll be checking them out. On Rock auto they specify no on the greasefitting but the number is 3198! BUT even the MOOG site shows a nongreaseble one for the 3199. I always like the greaseble ones. Makes me feel better.

I really appreciate the correction cause pretty sure mine have about 100k on them.
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

My Moogs have 145,000 on them now , just checked them today and still tight
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I really like the MOOGs. I'd recommend them to anyone. Hope the ones I put on my Ranger last that long. Have to admit the factory nongreaseble ones lasted about 130k. Of course they were really bad when I changed them. Got the KJ with 80k and put 80 on myself. I have not idea how old the BJs are but they seem tight and the boots are good. I actually bought MOOG stuff to replace all the rear pieces (UCA BJ, and all the UCA and LCA bushings) I've heard it's tough to do but I have a few tricks in mind. Any advice?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.