Kevins off road incompetence - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Kevins off road incompetence

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So he should be calling people back and emailing them back on the holidays and on the weekends?

Ordering a part he MUST HAVE a few days before he plans to use it is ****ty planning, especially when he knew there was a 4 day weekend coming up.
Friday July 5th is not a holiday. Most businesses are open Saturdays. If the business was to be closed longer than just the 4th, they should have let him know that paying the big bucks for overnight shipping still would not ship fora couple days. But yes, I would expect a call, email, or some response from the business after the holiday (the 4th of July) and on a Saturday. Especially if it is a business that does mail order or Internet sales.

As far as poor planning, I really find it hard to believe you have never had something unexpected happen or needed something last minute. I know other people have needed things last minute or in a rush, hence overnight mail.

Jeepguy4276 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Part ordered on 7/2
Should be processed and shipped 7/3
No delivery due to holiday 7/4
Nothing???? 7/5
Nothing???? 7/6

Plenty of time to process the order and ship it by saturday. Gripe and complain is validated imho.
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
MudChef

They responded to me and seem like they will be doing everything in their power to remedy the situation. I am still waiting for a response to confirm, but it appears they are taking the steps to make good on a processing error between them and a secondary vendor. I will post the outcome, but it appears that they are doing right.
MudChef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Yes, he should've posted on his website if he were closing for the weekend but the sale was most likely automated. I'd expect that he'd give a refund for the overnight shipping, probably the whole sale if it were requested.
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
MudChef

Thanks kjrenegade03. That about sums up the frustration.
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
MudChef

So, they are making good on the mistake. They offered to refund the entire sale. I did not accept, I just asked for a refund on the shipping. They are going to overnight the product on Monday. Hopefully I will have it in my Hands on Tuesday. Because of the way they retroactively handled the issues I will most likely give them another try next time I need parts.
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

That's good they are making good on it.

Hopefully Northridge is the same tomorrow when I talk to them. Going into week 9 on a 4 week quote for a rear bumper.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

This was a long holiday weekend and its possible that the guy was closed until today (7/8). Also, no matter how much you spend, Fedex, UPS and DHL do not deliver on Sunday. Again, you should have checked before you paid the extra money for delivery. It has happened to me and I consider it a lesson learned. And as for him not responding to you over the weekend, listen dude, I was on vacation all week and when I am on vacation, I do not check work email or messages at all. I even turn phone ringer off for any phone numbers that are not in my contacts list. So again, poor timing and unreasonable expectations on this one.
jedi105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi105 View Post
And as for him not responding to you over the weekend, listen dude, I was on vacation all week and when I am on vacation, I do not check work email or messages at all. I even turn phone ringer off for any phone numbers that are not in my contacts list. So again, poor timing and unreasonable expectations on this one.

Do you operate a retail business? One that sells online or does mail order? The owner or an employee can certainly take a day off but what kind of retail business closes for days without informing customers. Many retail business are even open on the 4th with only reduced hours. The retail business is customer orientated and should be open normal business hours with the exception of a holiday. I've run several businesses both retail and service and I would never close my business for several days for a 1 day holiday. I may take time off and turn my phone off but the business would still be open and and someone there to answer calls. If totally closing a business for multiple days for a 1 day holiday is how a retail business operates, that's poor business. Obviously, since they did end up responding on a Saturday, that means they are open or able to complete business transactions. Thus, your response that the business was closed and he should not expect a response was proven to be incorrect.

Regardless, they are correcting the situation and trying to make him happy. If the customer is happy in the end that is all that matters. He just posted the experience he was having with a business on here. He posted the bad and the good and should not be scolded for posting it.

As far as him having poor planning, things happen. I still can't believe you have never needed a part or anything in a rush situation. It's hard to believe you are insulting him by saying he has poor planning. Everyone at some point has needed something now or in a hurry. Well, apparently with the exception of you.

I thank him for posting his experience and hope he will let us know how it turns out when he gets the parts and gets them installed.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
MudChef

Thanks for backing me up jeep guy. I should be all set tomorrow, and will post pics here and on the "what did you do to your kj today" thread. Thanks again, very well said, btw.
Unread 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy4276 View Post
what kind of retail business closes for days without informing customers. .
Actually, something similar happened to me last weekend. I had just had a bathroom remodel done and I was trying to go look at shower doors. There is a local place here where I live that has a showroom. I got to the show room to find a note on the door saying they were closed. That was Wednesday the 3rd. I kep calling and calling and it wasnt until Sunday that I finally got someone on the phone and found out that they were closed until Monday the 8th. And recently, I purchased some parts for a car, went to fix that car and found I needed one more part. Ran back to the store and , darn, it was closed. Someone in his family died and it was 2 weeks before he reopened. No notes. And finally, you would think an off road and fishing supply store just about 1 mile from the beach, would be open on the weekend of the 4th. Gotta be, right, business should be booming. Nope, he was closed all weekend too. No note on his door either. The point is, retail can do whatever they please whenever they please. Yes, most dont close for such an extended period of time, but a lot of private mom and pop places do it more often than you think. As well they should, because what good is it to own a business if you are a slave to that business. If I had a specialty type business like the one we are talking about here, I would without a blink of an eye close my doors and take a vacation like anyone else. The only difference, is, I would have disabled my internet sales for that time period.
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Jeepguy4276

As I said, it's bad business to close like that and not to list the closing. In many states it's actually a legal requirement to list the hours of operation and the business doors must be open during those times. This means they must list or post any difference in hours due to holiday or whatever. It appears you must be referring to businesses that are owner run and operated with no employees. If a business has employees they should be working, the owner can take vacations or do what they want. If a business operates with online and mail order, they should have employees. If not, who is taking the online orders? You are right, the benefit of owning a business is that you are your own boss and can come and go as you want. But closing for days or not posting hours is still bad business. If I went to a business that should be open ,other than the holiday day, and I found it closed, I would not be going there the next time I need something. Why would I go there and waste time and gas if I have no idea if they will be open or not. I'll go to a business that provides the service or products I need that I know will be open. Someone that knows what good business is.

It's interesting you point out you were doing a project and found you needed additional parts so you had to go back to get the parts. That didn't bother you at all that the business was closed during normal business hours? Then you state you call several times and got no reply until Sunday. Well obviously the business being closed during normal hours and not returning your call or accepting it did bother you since you called several times rather than just waiting to see what happens.

Seems to me your expectations were to high and unreasonable and you have very poor planning.
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
jedi105
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You are right, the benefit of owning a business is that you are your own boss and can come and go as you want. But closing for days or not posting hours is still bad business.

It's interesting you point out you were doing a project and found you needed additional parts so you had to go back to get the parts. That didn't bother you at all that the business was closed during normal business hours? Then you state you call several times and got no reply until Sunday. Well obviously the business being closed during normal hours and not returning your call or accepting it did bother you since you called several times rather than just waiting to see what happens.
I didnt say it was good business, I just said it happens. And another thing, you are talking about a highly specialized low volume business in the first place. Even here where I live, where every third car is a Jeep with an off road permit, off road supply stores just arent the booming businesses anyone thinks they might be. They make up for the low volume with super high prices. Heck, I took my Jeep to a shop that "Specializes" in off road vehicle repairs for what I belive is the front drive shaft CV joint clicking. This guy wanted over 1000 bucks to do the job because "it requires specialized equipment" to work on. I went to a local shop, told them the problem, and they told me it would be about 150 to fix (and he broke it down to 60 bucks for the part and the rest for the labor). While I was at the specialty shop I browsed their store for some supplies, and the idiot was trying to sell a fire extinguisher for 100 bucks (yeah, the same one I got at autozone for 12 bucks) and justified the cost because it is for boats and RV's. He had a fold up shovel for nearly 50 bucks. Yes, the one Walmart has for 7 bucks.

As for the story I told about the place being closed all weekend, sure it bothered me but since it was for an extensive bathroom remodeling project that I knew wasnt going to get done over a holiday weekend, I kept calling just to find out when they would be open because I didnt feel like playing craps and "hoping" they would be open when I got there. See, there is a wonderful new invention called the telephone. It makes it so you dont have to run all the way to a place only to find out its closed. When they finally reopened, we went there to see their products and as it happens, we chose another shop anyway. Now for the auto parts store that closed for 2 weeks, seeing as I had a choice of about 30 other auto parts stores, I just went to one of them. The operative point being, there is always a choice. If you dont like how one store is run, there are always other stores out there.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #29
Jeepguy4276

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi105 View Post
I didnt say it was good business, I just said it happens. And another thing, you are talking about a highly specialized low volume business in the first place. Even here where I live, where every third car is a Jeep with an off road permit, off road supply stores just arent the booming businesses anyone thinks they might be. They make up for the low volume with super high prices. Heck, I took my Jeep to a shop that "Specializes" in off road vehicle repairs for what I belive is the front drive shaft CV joint clicking. This guy wanted over 1000 bucks to do the job because "it requires specialized equipment" to work on. I went to a local shop, told them the problem, and they told me it would be about 150 to fix (and he broke it down to 60 bucks for the part and the rest for the labor). While I was at the specialty shop I browsed their store for some supplies, and the idiot was trying to sell a fire extinguisher for 100 bucks (yeah, the same one I got at autozone for 12 bucks) and justified the cost because it is for boats and RV's. He had a fold up shovel for nearly 50 bucks. Yes, the one Walmart has for 7 bucks.

As for the story I told about the place being closed all weekend, sure it bothered me but since it was for an extensive bathroom remodeling project that I knew wasnt going to get done over a holiday weekend, I kept calling just to find out when they would be open because I didnt feel like playing craps and "hoping" they would be open when I got there. See, there is a wonderful new invention called the telephone. It makes it so you dont have to run all the way to a place only to find out its closed. When they finally reopened, we went there to see their products and as it happens, we chose another shop anyway. Now for the auto parts store that closed for 2 weeks, seeing as I had a choice of about 30 other auto parts stores, I just went to one of them. The operative point being, there is always a choice. If you dont like how one store is run, there are always other stores out there.
That just shows more that you feel customer service is important. Using the phone to call ahead is great. He actually did but was never informed of the hours. I understand your point of small specialized shops and agree that a small specialty shop is a little different. But a business equipped to take Internet orders or phone orders is no longer a small business. It is now a worldwide business. Phones and the Internet can reach customers all over the world. A small mom and pop store that does business locally is a totally different thing. They are equipped to handle local customers. A worldwide business needs to be able to operate with worldwide customers. They need employees and inventory to handle the orders and customers.

Local or not, a business needs to provide customer service. Part of that is informing customers of hours of operation, delays in service or shipping, product availability, and handling time. If you buy an item off eBay, which is in most cases a single person selling an item,you still want to know when it will ship and arrive. That is 1 person selling 1 item. Certainly a customer ad a business doing Internet or mail order sales should be expected to provide that as well.

Like I said, the business showed poor customer service ( which apparently now you agree with) and the customer has the right to complain on here or anywhere else of his good or bad experience.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
That just shows more that you feel customer service is important. Using the phone to call ahead is great. He actually did but was never informed of the hours. I understand your point of small specialized shops and agree that a small specialty shop is a little different. But a business equipped to take Internet orders or phone orders is no longer a small business. It is now a worldwide business. Phones and the Internet can reach customers all over the world. A small mom and pop store that does business locally is a totally different thing. They are equipped to handle local customers. A worldwide business needs to be able to operate with worldwide customers. They need employees and inventory to handle the orders and customers.

Local or not, a business needs to provide customer service. Part of that is informing customers of hours of operation, delays in service or shipping, product availability, and handling time. If you buy an item off eBay, which is in most cases a single person selling an item,you still want to know when it will ship and arrive. That is 1 person selling 1 item. Certainly a customer ad a business doing Internet or mail order sales should be expected to provide that as well.

Like I said, the business showed poor customer service ( which apparently now you agree with) and the customer has the right to complain on here or anywhere else of his good or bad experience.
I know of at least 20 one or two man shows that do orders and such over the internet.They do not need anyone else and could hardly afford extra help if they wanted to.Most just do it as a side hobby to make a little extra $$$.

It should be pretty straight foward that most places will be closed for the 4th.It's just been in the last 10 years or so that some have been opened on the 4th,before that no one was hardly open on a big holiday such as the 4th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.