Just changed my alternator and now I'm loosing power. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Just changed my alternator and now I'm loosing power.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
robodiaz

Just changed my alternator and now I'm loosing power.

I have a 2003, 3.7L liberty and I just changed my alternator over the weekend.

I had a choice of two alternators at Auto Zone, the difference being in amperage. A 136 or 160 amps. The guy couldn't tell which one I previously had so I opted for the larger one because he said it wouldn't make a difference since I'm not running alot of extra electrical devices.

Took it and installed it, test drove it for about 20 min. everything was fine.

Then today I drove to work on the highway and when I got up to around 70mph I noticed a slight loss in power and the engine just wasn't running as smoothly. Drove up a hill and there was a definite loss in power.

Is using the higher amped alternator causing my power loss? I've checked the belt and the connections to the alternator and it looks good.

Should I have autozone test out my car again?

Thanks!
RD

robodiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodiaz View Post
I have a 2003, 3.7L liberty and I just changed my alternator over the weekend.

I had a choice of two alternators at Auto Zone, the difference being in amperage. A 136 or 160 amps. The guy couldn't tell which one I previously had so I opted for the larger one because he said it wouldn't make a difference since I'm not running alot of extra electrical devices.

Took it and installed it, test drove it for about 20 min. everything was fine.

Then today I drove to work on the highway and when I got up to around 70mph I noticed a slight loss in power and the engine just wasn't running as smoothly. Drove up a hill and there was a definite loss in power.

Is using the higher amped alternator causing my power loss? I've checked the belt and the connections to the alternator and it looks good.

Should I have autozone test out my car again?

Thanks!
RD
Is the alternator charging?....put a voltmeter over the battery...should read about 13.4 volts at idle.

A larger alternator means it has the ability to supply more amperage if needed; under normal running it will supply the same amount of current as a smaller amperage alternator will.

There should be the main large lead on the rear of the alternator and a smaller plug with two thin leads plugged in.
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
robodiaz

Fixed so far ...

Thanks Billwill for your feedback. I didn't get chance to run the voltmeter on it but I probably will just in case. They did test the alternator before I bought it though.

So I read somewhere online (sorry I can't remember where) about someone who was having some weird electrical issue on their car. They had to disconnect the battery for 30 min. Then hook everything back up and let the car run idle for about 10 min. They mentioned something about the computer having to get used to the new system or something like that (sorry I know it's not very helpful).

I did the same and it's worked so far. I ran it on the highway and up hills trying to recreate the problem. Everythings been good so far.
robodiaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , power loss

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.