Jeep won't start! 02 Liberty - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Xerxes600rr

Jeep won't start! 02 Liberty

I need help. I turned my ignition to the on position w/o starting my jeep. I extracted a cd and everything was fine. Now i can turn it to accessory and everything works. When i try to turn it over nothing works. My battery cell is green, although it's 4.5 y/o and it will start when it is jumped. I drove it for 30 min turned it off and the same thing. Sounds like the altenator with the battery not holding the charge, however this is where it gets confusing. If i open the door or try to turn the headlights on, anything like that, the tailgate door lock or window latch goes crazy, it won't stop going. I'm afraid i'm going to burn my motor out. Could it be a faulty circuit relay/fuse/battery/ or altenator. Anything would help, don't have money to take it in right now. Bought too much parts. I'm out of ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
jeepjeepster

Bad battery. If it will run for 30minutes, the alternator is fine.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 PM
skleinsmith

Also, some of the "switches/relays" go crazy when they do not get enough voltage, the click in and out. I would try a new Battery 1st, a good parts store can charge and load test yours to make sure it is not the alternator.

Shawn Kleinsmith
Igo, CA (Near Redding)
2004 Liberty (3.6 v6 gas) - Rocky Mountain Edit - Silver/charcoal

post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2006, 10:51 AM
lucas/liberty

how old is the battery, and where do you live(elevation wise), replace the battery first...

...you dont stop playing just because you get old, you get old because you stop playing...
...If a man speaks in the woods where there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wife=2002 jeep liberty sports traded it in for an RX330 lexus
===2007 nissan Xterra X
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
CRD4Liberty

Pull out your mutlimetter with the engine running and the voltage should be 14.2 to 13.8 VDC. If it is the alternator is good, battery isn't. Could also be a bad/dirty battery connection though I doubt it, as when you jumpstart a battery you are bypassing the important battery post to battery lead connection that may need cleaned or tightened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.