Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #61
RocketQjQ

The Regular Window Regulator

Well, just got back from Normandin Jeep Dealership in San Jose and they fixed the same passenger right window again. The first thing Jason said was "no worries, we'll fix it, we know there is a revised warranty on these windows, will honor that and it won't cost you a dime". I was floored so I said in that case, I'd like to add a Oil Change at charge. Window and Oil Change done within two hours. I'll have to check to see if they have a Detail Dept as I might as well pay to get it Washed and Waxed while I have the day off. Although I must say (as pizzed as I am about these freakin windows), Normandin Jeep in San Jose has always given me great service and Jason is an Excellent Service Manager. Some of the other Advisors walking around informed me that Chrysler has no plans of changing the Plastic Part that keeps breaking because they have thousands in stock and the Dealerships have no plans of fixing the Window with the "Metal" aftermarket part, because of the money they make from the Factory. So....here's a simple quick solution until you have the time to get it fixed from the Dealership. Take a Paint Paddle stick, apply two way sticky tape, insert down the window jam area, press the sticky side to the Window and then gently pull up the Window to the point where you can grab it. Then pull it up all the way and attach Duck Tape up one side of the Window, over the door top and then back down to the otherside of the Window. This will at least hold the window up until you can take it in to the shop. Next, remove all Valuables from the Jeep as the Duck Tape makes a statement to the bad guys, that this Jeep is ripe for the pickin.
I can't believe after reading about the DW on the Wranglers, that I'm about to trade my Corvette for a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

RocketQjQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #62
T_Tuff

Get the thing fixed once and for all. Get a METAL replacement window mount from www.tkoautoparts.com
Best thing I ever did.
T_Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #63
Jeep181

2007 Jeep Liberty Power windows FIXED!

Since I owned my 2007 Jeep Liberty, I had to replace the left rear twice and the front right once. Then, a while back I received a letter from Chrysler. They said if my windows were working, I didn't need to do anything but, if one fails, they will replace all at no charge. (Kind-of-a-quasi-recall?) They also provided me a reimbursement form for any previous cost.

Then, on August 12, 2011, the right rear fell down and would not go up. Since I could not lock the car and it was 101 degrees outside, I immediately took it to my Dodge-Jeep dealer and asked them to fix the window as I showed them my letter. Later, when I went to check on the vehicle I found they were replacing all four window parts. They said according to the problem and my letter, they might as well solve the problem once and for all. I think the invoice said over $300 dollars but it was no charge to me!
Luckily they did not have to replace the glass because my front two are tinted. Since that is not a stock item, I would have to re-tint them at my expense.

Now I am a happy Jeep driver again and will keep my fingers crossed the problem is resolved permanently and of course, I will keep a copy of my letter from Chrysler.
Jeep181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #64
HustlinFlip
2004 KJ Liberty 

Is the recall/advisory only for 06/07 KJ's?

I'm asking because I have a 2004 KJ limited and right now my front driver's side window and rear passenger side window are broken, I've placed a ziptie around the track where the base of the window slider meets so that both windows stay up and closed. This is really very annoying.
HustlinFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #65
Jeep181

HustlinFlip asked, “Is the (window regulator) recall/advisory only for 06/07 KJ’s?
First, for other readers, let me provide a definition of “KJ”. First Generation Jeep Liberty (2002-2007) is referred to as Chryslers Platform KJ.

I received the letter in 2010, three years after buying it. I am the original owner and when I took it in for service last week, it had 59K miles on it.
When I received my letter from Chrysler, it was simply addressed to me as a “2007 Jeep Liberty Owner”.
The letter contained my address and VIN Number. (That is why I won’t display it on the web.) It said the free service was not limited by mileage but expired seven years after the in-service date.

Since your model is a 2004, by my calculations, that makes your vehicle at least 7 years old or possible older, since new cars usually come out in the fall of the previous year. I would immediately check the in-service date and hopefully you will get lucky. I called my Jeep Service Manager and he said, “It covered 2007 and most 2006 models but, they would need the last 8 digits of your VIN number to see about your model.”
Jeep181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #66
HustlinFlip
2004 KJ Liberty 

^ Thanks for your reply!

I phoned several Jeep dealerships in my area and they were unaware of anything involving my vehicle other than the ball joint recall. Currently I'm on the phone with Chrysler/Jeep customer service to see if they can do anything for me.

EDIT: No dice... Guess I'm stuck with a bill for one window and 2 currently broken windows until I can afford the metal pieces posted in here and have the time to fix it all.
HustlinFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #67
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still considering owning one though despite the window problem. Would be nice if someone sold manual cranks.

The least they could do is sell them with a roll of duck tape in the glove box
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #68
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why is everyone letting the dealer put those same cheap plastic parts back in? They will just fail again. Get the metal replacements from here

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13001.html

The instructions are so easy and untrained monkey could do it in less than an hour.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #69
jackryan
2006 KJ Liberty 

I just got back from my dealer after getting both rear windows fixed (again) on my '06 Liberty.

Apparently they now have what they call "lift plates" which are reinforced with metal to replace the older plastic parts that break. They must have ones for original regulators and the newer ones (I had both types on the rear.)

Last summer Jeep replaced both front window regulators and glass (for the 2nd or3rd time)

All this paid for by Chrysler Customer Service. Make the complaint call to them and get the case # from the agent to give to your dealers service writer. Makes the process alot easier.
jackryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #70
judycay
2006 KJ Liberty 

2006 Jeep Window & regulators

I am an American expat living south of Cancun. I purchased a new 2006 Jeep Liberty in Playa Del Carmen dealership in June 2007. NEVER AGAIN!

I paid cash for my vehicle and did not understand that in Mexico, if you change your own oil, the total vehicle warranty is voided! I did a stupid thing, I changed my own oil not understanding the implications.

Since then, I have replaced the drivers front window and regulator 2 times, the rear drivers window and regulator 2 times, the remaining windows and regulators each one time.

Yesterday - the rear drivers side window fell into the door while i was driving AGAIN! This means the 7th new window and regulator! Why cant Jeep get this right! This is on a vehicle with 30,000 miles on it.

The dealership has made it very clear that I voided the warranty and will do nothing. In fact, when I have gone to the dealership, the woman at the repairs desk has been incredibly rude and will not help me - guess it is the blond hair?

I will never again buy a Jeep - my dollars will all go to Ford. In the meantime - i am looking for a Cancun vacationer to fly down the parts from the US since the cost is more than double in the US.

This is bordering on insanity!
judycay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #71
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by judycay View Post
I am an American expat living south of Cancun. I purchased a new 2006 Jeep Liberty in Playa Del Carmen dealership in June 2007. NEVER AGAIN!

I paid cash for my vehicle and did not understand that in Mexico, if you change your own oil, the total vehicle warranty is voided! I did a stupid thing, I changed my own oil not understanding the implications.

Since then, I have replaced the drivers front window and regulator 2 times, the rear drivers window and regulator 2 times, the remaining windows and regulators each one time.

Yesterday - the rear drivers side window fell into the door while i was driving AGAIN! This means the 7th new window and regulator! Why cant Jeep get this right! This is on a vehicle with 30,000 miles on it.

The dealership has made it very clear that I voided the warranty and will do nothing. In fact, when I have gone to the dealership, the woman at the repairs desk has been incredibly rude and will not help me - guess it is the blond hair?

I will never again buy a Jeep - my dollars will all go to Ford. In the meantime - i am looking for a Cancun vacationer to fly down the parts from the US since the cost is more than double in the US.

This is bordering on insanity!
Don't go to the dealer. Get your parts from here.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13001.html

Do it yourself. The instructions are so simple a 6 month old could do it. And all the parts are metal, no more plastic.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #72
Strorg

the poor man fix

some may cringe, but i found a cheap fix, assuming that the point of failure is where the cable threads into the plastic clip. i trimmed away what was left of the plastic threads and drilled two holes, aligned with the rail that the cable is in. i then cleaned the thread at the end of the cable and wrapped some 20 ga galvanized wire tightly in the threads of the cable, along the inch or so at the end. i gave the wire a couple of twists, and then ran the ends of the wire through the two holes i drilled in the plastic clip. i wrapped the ends of the wire several times and trimmed the ends.

be sure that you leave enough slack so that the plastic clip doesn't bind as it travels up and down the track. here's a few photos.
111028_001.jpg   111028_002.jpg   111028_003.jpg   111028_004.jpg   111028_005.jpg  

Last edited by Strorg; 10-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: resized images
Strorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #73
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I've got Steiger kits on both my KJ's rear windows, but the front passenger window has decided to do something different - rather than dropping into the door, it's stuck in the fully-up position. You can hear the motor running but the window doesn't move. Anyone have any experience of this?

I haven't got round to pulling the door panel to see what's going on, but I'm concerned that since it's jammed closed, it will be very difficult to get the regulator separated from the window and out of the door due to lack of access space.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #74
Landonmphsjeep
1997 YJ Wrangler 

Strorg you are da man!!!!! I know this thread is old but I just pulled the assembly out of my wife's Jeep and am dumbfounded my the cheap part I am looking at....shame shame shame!!!
And just as I am sitting here thinking how I am going to quick fix this thing vs. buying a metal bracket...There are Strorg's pics!!!!!! Thanks for posting!!!!

Or this...always on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Jeep-L...item4cfcc52453

or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-jeep-l...item3a6d74af84

Last edited by Landonmphsjeep; 02-03-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Landonmphsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #75
goss112

bad window regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrulez View Post
Actually, the problem with this Jeep model is that the window regulator snaps for no reason. Then, when Jeep realized the problem, they designed a new window with two holes instead of one like the original. So, when you go to replace a cheap little regulator, you now have to spend money for a new window too. This is an EPIDEMIC problem with Jeep. Stop belittling my feelings. I feel sorry for your loved ones.

I'm tired of being polite. To the "grandparent" that asked what my NEWBORN BABY was hurt by when a window disappeared going 70 mph down the interstate IN THE WINTER, GO F YOURSELF. The shear panic it caused, the pulling over with my child in the back and sitting on the side of the road as cars speed by on icy roads, the finding out that this is an epidemic problem with Jeep and then being told that you just have to eat it because they designed a poor window and window regulator, but hey, it's been fixed with a new design so NOW you have to purchase a new window regulator AND a new window. If you have so much money laying around that an extra $1200 is trivial, go ahead and just give it to Jeep. As a new and starting out young family, we think that $1,200 could have gone to a better cause. You will not be making a point by picking on my original comment any longer except that you are an A**hole.

To any one else on here that thinks this complaint is ridiculous, I can only assume you either work for Jeep or are a complete idiot for needing the above paragraph to explain my problem with this vehicle as it actually is a problem. Again, go F yourself.

Have a nice day,
As a former ase certified technician. All models of vehicle with movable windows will experience regulator trouble accross the board with the epa emissions regulations, and the attempts for the manufactures of vehicles to make them lighter and more fuel efficient parts are made with lighter materials. so the old style metal gear driven regulators are gone. now we have these cheap plastic and cable run regulators. many of these regulators are used in many different vehicles. you could possibly cross match a chrysler part number into another vehicle easily. Dephi is known as a gm brand however. dephi parts and electronics are used in all makes and models of vehicles. Hence all cars are created equal, just the styling is different. so get over it. If you don't like the issue take a cab or walk. owning a car comes with a price.
A friendly hint when you put your windows up or down as soon as they stop let go of the button dont hold it for a second longer this creates added pressure to the cables and it is not neccessary.
Thus causing preamature cable failure.
goss112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.