Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
yooperchica

Jeep window regulators 1997-2007

There is a company that sells metal replacement kits for power window regulators on 1997-2007 Jeep Liberty models. Don't waste your money at the dealer on plastic replacement parts that will fail again. Visit this website to order http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp12001 I replaced my two rear window regulator parts with these kits and I have little to no mechanical experience.

yooperchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
yooperchica

I used Steigler's parts and they are fairly easy to put in and well worth it.
yooperchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperchica View Post
There is a company that sells metal replacement kits for power window regulators on 1997-2007 Jeep Liberty models.
The Jeep Liberty wasn't manufactured until 2002.
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #19
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Bad window regulators are more of a '05-'07 KJ thing.My '02 has all 4 original regulators in it(and working perfectly) and I smoke so they go up and down alot.It's pretty much a newer Jeep thing,the KJ is not alone with this problem.There is a TSB out that now includes a new style regulator that requires new glass also,make sure you get the latest update(means a new window was installed).

Oh and a bad regulator is not a safety issue so no recall will be issued,the will issue(and have already issued) a TSB for the regulators.
My other half has an '03 and the window regulator when out just after the factory warranty expired. We bought a new one ($160.00) and replaced it. One year and one week later (really) it went out again. She might have used the window two or three times. I gripped enough to the dealership to provide anohter one at no cost which they did. The worm gear connection to the plastic piece is just a problem waiting to happen. I really think it has to do with where the piece connects to the glass, it actually pulls the plastic clip away from the track and this is where the problem begins...... great quality for sure
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
cheese4420
2006 KJ Liberty 

I've had them go out on me and being a high school teacher and walking out to your car having the windows down is not a good feeling. I don't carry anything in my car with my name, address, or anything of value which could be stolen or used against me. As a result of the bad windows, I will nerver buy another Chrysler product as long as I live. Some might think I'm overreacting, but it's my dollar to spend.
cheese4420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Hillbillydeluxe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On my wife's 2006 liberty this happened with both rear windows. I just replaced the passenger side rear window parts with Steigler's parts. Very easy to do excellent directions and color photos of how to do it. Going to do this on all the windows as they go out.
Hillbillydeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #22
oldMountainMan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillydeluxe View Post
On my wife's 2006 liberty this happened with both rear windows. I just replaced the passenger side rear window parts with Steigler's parts. Very easy to do excellent directions and color photos of how to do it. Going to do this on all the windows as they go out.
I'm seconding the recommendation for the Steiger Performance part. I bought an '05 Liberty about two years ago and had no problems with windows, but it got wrecked in January of this year. I liked the '05 well enough that I replaced it with an '07 Liberty. The rear windows squeaked and groaned from the day I bought this one, and the drivers side rear regulator failed a couple weeks ago. I found Steiger's site from here and lostkjs and ordered the part. It cost me about $95 with shipping,not cheap, but a lot less than the 400-500 for new glass and regulator from Jeep, which will probably just break again. This replaces just the crappy bracket that connects the cable to the glass, which is the part that usually breaks.

The instructions are very good. I think they probably saved me at least an hour vs. figuring everything out for myself. Steiger's part is steel, with nylon bolted on for the friction pieces that run in the guide rail. The cable attachment is steel. This is the part that failed on the OE piece of junk. I can't really tell what the cable attachment point on the original looked like new, because it pretty well disintegrated, but it's obviously not beefy enough to last.

Another thing to note. According to Steiger, and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, the "new improved" regulator for 2006-2007 Liberty is actually the same regulator that was used for 2002-2005. Possibly this one didn't suck quite as bad as the newer one, but it's not compatible with the glass used on the later models, so to use it, you have to replace the entire regulator and the glass, which is whey it ends up costing 400-500 bucks.

The repair wasn't too difficult. The regulator clearly isn't designed to replaced in pieces. You have to drill or file the head off of a small rivet and bend a couple of steel tabs to get it apart. Steiger provides a tiny machine screw, nut and washers (and spares of each) to replace the rivet. The biggest problem I had was that after I put everything together, the inside door handle didn't work. I eventually traced this to a small plastic part in the linkage that was out of place. I'm not sure whether I managed to mess it up taking the door apart, or the cable from the regulator, which had pushed out of its tube into the upper rear part of the door after it broke loose had done it, but once I figured out what it was, I was able to snap it back into it's proper place, and everything worked. I started this after work, with about two hours of daylight left, and ended up finishing buy the dome lights and a headlamp, about 3.5 hours total, almost half of that spent figuring out the inside latch problem. If I have to do it again (and it's pretty likely that I will) I could probably do it in under two hours.
oldMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #23
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you're thinking about going to a junk yard for 02 regulators, forget about it.

My rear right regulator went out 2 weeks ago and I've had it taped up since. I can't decide whether or not I want to drop the $90 for the Steiger part... it seems like way too much money for a tiny piece of metal and some extra hardware. I get that they're the only ones making such a part, but still...

For $45 I'd have no second thoughts.
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
oldMountainMan
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc View Post
If you're thinking about going to a junk yard for 02 regulators, forget about it.

My rear right regulator went out 2 weeks ago and I've had it taped up since. I can't decide whether or not I want to drop the $90 for the Steiger part... it seems like way too much money for a tiny piece of metal and some extra hardware. I get that they're the only ones making such a part, but still...

For $45 I'd have no second thoughts.
$90 is a tad pricey, but it beats the heck out spending $400-$500 at a dealer to get another piece of junk that will probably break again.

Alternatives:

Junk yard, which is likely to be a lot cheaper than the dealer but also likely to break again. Also, as often as the regulators break, they may be hard to find in a junk yard.

Jury rig some way of attaching the cable to the old bracket. Possibly you could drill some holes through the old bracket and wire it together or rig some kind of clamp. I'm not sure how viable this is, or how well it would hold up (it would depend on how you do it).

If you don't mind having a fixed window instead of one that opens, it wouldn't be too hard to remove the inside door panel, and rig some way of holding the window up. You could probably wire it up, or wedge a piece of wood or something under the window. Taping it up works, but it's kind of like putting a big "Steal my stuff" sign on the vehicle, because it wouldn't be too hard to force the window open and unlock the doors.
oldMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldMountainMan View Post
$90 is a tad pricey, but it beats the heck out spending $400-$500 at a dealer to get another piece of junk that will probably break again.

Alternatives:

Junk yard, which is likely to be a lot cheaper than the dealer but also likely to break again. Also, as often as the regulators break, they may be hard to find in a junk yard.

Jury rig some way of attaching the cable to the old bracket. Possibly you could drill some holes through the old bracket and wire it together or rig some kind of clamp. I'm not sure how viable this is, or how well it would hold up (it would depend on how you do it).

If you don't mind having a fixed window instead of one that opens, it wouldn't be too hard to remove the inside door panel, and rig some way of holding the window up. You could probably wire it up, or wedge a piece of wood or something under the window. Taping it up works, but it's kind of like putting a big "Steal my stuff" sign on the vehicle, because it wouldn't be too hard to force the window open and unlock the doors.
Agreed. I actually took the motor apart on mine to see what the fuss was about and i think i will try to drill on a staple or similar piece to keep the cable attached to the window clip thing.

Really the issue is a piece of plastic snaps off and the cable can't pull the window up so it cable just rips out by itself. You really could epoxy the damn thing to the bracket but i'm gonna try a more permanent solution. I'll report back with my experiment.
Unread 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Jeannine

We have two Jeep Libertys in the family - ours is a 2005, our daughter's is a 2004. Both have had the back driver's side rear window regulators break. This means that not only will the window not function for up and down (which we could live with) but that the windows fall down and won't stay up. We had ours fixed in June '09 - Chrysler (obviously knowing there is a problem) covered the part even though the vehicle was out of warranty. That still left us with $220 in labor to replace what Chrysler knows is a junk part, but for which they will not do a recall.

The same window in the same Liberty broke again less than one year later. Chrysler will help to fix again, but subject to a $75 deductible this time. They basically put it to me that they are under no obligation to do anything and subtly implied that we should therefore be grateful for any assistance at all. To my way of thinking, this back-seat window in a childless vehicle gets no use at all and therefore would not be breaking but for a defective part. Talking to others and researching sites like this confirm that others are having problems, supporting the defect theory.

My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required. She feels that based on our experience, it will just break again so why put out the money. She'll just live with a taped window and a little Chrysler story to tell whenever anyone asks. (By the way, it's not convenient to take a car to the dealership and wait 2 hours for the diagnosis Chrysler requires, then back again for the needed repair - times 2 cars in our case.)

Chrysler, if you're listening, when you know you've got a defective part, a recall is the right thing to do. Too expensive? At least fix the ones that are broken so the customer is not out-of-pocket for anything. Don't want to do that either? We understand - that's what it's come to in Corporate America. That Town and Country looked pretty good as our next vehicle, but knowing how you operate, I won't ever buy another Chrysler.
Jeannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #27
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post
My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required
For $20 more than the deductible you can fix it with the Steiger part, which means it will work and never break again.

Interesting how so many people report the driver's side rear window breaking in particular, because that's what ours has done - twice - despite almost literally never being used in the five years we've had the car from new.

First time was when the car was at the dealer being repaired after an accident at the front end - they actually returned the car to us after the repair with the window taped up and said nothing about it! I thought they'd just put the tape on to seal the window up against dust or sand or something, until I got back home and took the tape off and the window dropped into the door. I went straight back to the dealer and made a fuss and they agreed to replace it and swallow the cost, but it broke again just six months later. That's when I went for the Steiger option.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #28
all_bran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4420 View Post
I've had them go out on me and being a high school teacher and walking out to your car having the windows down is not a good feeling. I don't carry anything in my car with my name, address, or anything of value which could be stolen or used against me. As a result of the bad windows, I will nerver buy another Chrysler product as long as I live. Some might think I'm overreacting, but it's my dollar to spend.
I also have a 2007 Liberty and the rear driver window has failed twice in 30,000 miles. So don't think I'm defending the terrible craftsmanship here... but when those cars were designed, they were designed by DaimlerChrysler. That company no longer exists. Now, while the new Chrysler Corp can't just totally abandon all the issues on the existing cars... they didn't cause the problem to begin with. They basically inherited someone else's dirty laundry and would have a tough time justifying spending any additional money on an old problem. The new Jeeps are supposed to be much more rhobust, and come most of the 2011 and 2012 models, the interior and most all other components will be getting major upgrades. So, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, wait until next year or the year after and reassess what you think of the new Chrysler... From what I've seen, you may be pleasantly surprised.
all_bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
CWC
2006 KJ Liberty 

Hey Guys, New to the forum. I bought my 2006 last year. I heard about the window problem after I bought it. Within the first three months my right front regulator broke. The dealer told me to call Jeep corp. They covered the whole job. No charge. Cost of job was over $600. Now my front drivers side is going. I have to call jeep again. still love the Jeep.
CWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hey all.

Reporting back, I ended up going with the Steiger Performance part. Was a little difficult to separate the plastic bracket from the slide rail, but once i did that it worked great.

I don't forsee ever having to replace it again (due to the way it is built) and I would recommend just plunking the $90 down each time a door goes out. If you're feeling adventurous, you could do all 4 doors at once and never have to do it again, but for now I'm just going to do each one as it comes along (if/when it does).

It's definitely worth your time to get the Steiger part installed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.