Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions

178K views 135 replies 71 participants last post by  jlg89 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this is a common problem and us Jeep Owners just have to learn to live with it, but I need to vent a little so I'll feel better and also give the Newbiews a heads up.

We have a 07 Jeep Liberty that we purchased one year ago and I've had the Driver Rear Window Regulator replaced Twice from the Dealership and the Passenger Rear Window Regulator replaced Once. Last night the Drivers-side Rear Window Regulator broke again, causing the window to slide down about half way. It rained last night and this morning the back seat and floor was covered with water not to mention my briefcase and all its contents. This will be the THIRD time for this window to be replaced. All this in just the 1 year that we've owned it. Hmmm??? But I'm still a Jeep Diehard.

I believe the Factory has fixed this problem but I have a feeling the Dealership is still replacing the Window Regulator only with the same revision.
(In other words, another one that will break in about 6months and its back to the dealership).

It appears this is a common problem with 1st Gen Jeep Libertys and Chrylser knows about it, they just don't want to issue a Recall because they feel it will costs too much. (I don't think they're taking in consideration what this is doing from a Marketing standpoint). Anyone I talk to I tell them to get a outside warranty (like WarrantyDirect) and make sure they buy their house next to a Jeep Dealership.

And on.... I hear the problem is a Little Plastic Connector that attaches the Cable to the Bracket. Had it been made out of anything but Cheap Plastic, it would hold up like a 57' Chevy Window. But to save some Costs in building the Jepp Libertys, Chrylser decided to save $.27 cents on this cheap plastic cable connector and spend $600. dollars on replacing 20% of all their cars. Now....I'm not a math whiz.....but even with basic math, I can see the writing on the wall here.

Ok, e'nuff grumbling.... Some action. I'm going to ask the dealership if I can have the old parts, even if I have to buy them back from them, so I can ReDesign a new Metal Connector and Metal Guide Sleeve.

If the Dealer refuses, then I'll go to Plan B. I'll buy several rolls of Duct Tape, use my Sawzall to make a 10" slit through the outside of my door all the way through to the inside. Then I'll loop several rolls of Duct Tap over the window, down along the door to the slit, through to the inside and back around about 20 times. If someone in the back needs the window open, I can simply pull over, cut the duct tape, let the window fall to the bottom and Walaa. (Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud of me). I might even tape a Roll of Duct Tape on the front of the hood as a Jeep Hood Ornament. If we all do that, then when we pass each other out there on that long desert highway, we'll know who our Regulator Brothers and Sisters are. Just honk and hold up how many times you've had your Jeep Liberty Windows fixed.

ps. For you old timers out there, please don't hold up both hands and feet.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bad window regulators are more of a '05-'07 KJ thing.My '02 has all 4 original regulators in it(and working perfectly) and I smoke so they go up and down alot.It's pretty much a newer Jeep thing,the KJ is not alone with this problem.There is a TSB out that now includes a new style regulator that requires new glass also,make sure you get the latest update(means a new window was installed).

Oh and a bad regulator is not a safety issue so no recall will be issued,the will issue(and have already issued) a TSB for the regulators.

#19 ·
Bad window regulators are more of a '05-'07 KJ thing.My '02 has all 4 original regulators in it(and working perfectly) and I smoke so they go up and down alot.It's pretty much a newer Jeep thing,the KJ is not alone with this problem.There is a TSB out that now includes a new style regulator that requires new glass also,make sure you get the latest update(means a new window was installed).

Oh and a bad regulator is not a safety issue so no recall will be issued,the will issue(and have already issued) a TSB for the regulators.
My other half has an '03 and the window regulator when out just after the factory warranty expired. We bought a new one ($160.00) and replaced it. One year and one week later (really) it went out again. She might have used the window two or three times. I gripped enough to the dealership to provide anohter one at no cost which they did. The worm gear connection to the plastic piece is just a problem waiting to happen. I really think it has to do with where the piece connects to the glass, it actually pulls the plastic clip away from the track and this is where the problem begins...... great quality for sure:rolleyes:

#3 ·
Well, had the Drivers-side passenger window replaced today from Normadin Chrysler Jeep in San Jose and not only did the Service Advisor have the Window AND Regulator replaced under a new TSB, put a sticker on the door and warranty the repair for 1year, regardles of the Factory Warranty but also brought me the broken Regulator and showed me where the Cable screws into the PLASTIC connector had broken due to not enough threads into the connector and something about the angle.

But all fixed and working fine.......supposedly for good!

#57 ·
Peat and RePeat sitting on a fence

Well, had the Drivers-side passenger window replaced today from Normadin Chrysler Jeep in San Jose and not only did the Service Advisor have the Window AND Regulator replaced under a new TSB, put a sticker on the door and warranty the repair for 1year, regardles of the Factory Warranty but also brought me the broken Regulator and showed me where the Cable screws into the PLASTIC connector had broken due to not enough threads into the connector and something about the angle.

But all fixed and working fine.......supposedly for good!
Well, its been a little over one year since we had the Whole Window and All New Regulator REPLACED and guess what boys and girls?? Yep, you guess it without even trying....the damn window Reg broke again. How could this happen since they are replacing everything.....or are they? Perhaps they're just replacing the same little Japanese Plastic Part, even though the Dealer knows its a bad design and will most Certainly Break Again. But then again, that's just REPEAT business and maybe they'll find something else wrong NOt covered under the Warranty and make some more Money. It appears Jeep Inc doesn't want to repair this Window Regulator Plastic Bracket with a Metal One as perhaps their R&D Dept can't handle anymore extra thinking. There are a lot of other small business making these METAL Replacement Parts but Jeep Inc. doesn't seem to mind fixing these Regulators as they Extended the Warranty on them for 7yrs Total. So my 2007 has been in FOUR times already and if the warranty extends me out to 2014, its only a day off from work, drive 30miles and wait in their Customer Service Conference Room with all the other Sad People sitting around. Maybe I'll bring my Banjo and we sing some Country Windows Blues songs together. Maybe even create our own Window CD!! That's all folks, see ya next month when the other side breaks.
Rocket

#4 ·
Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle is really just purchasing a problem that Chrysler will not fix. Five times the window regulator has gone out on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. Now, I have researched this and there are thousands upon thousands of complaints about this online. I have submitted this issue to the NHTSA. Many more people need to do this in order for Chrysler to step up and take ownership of their poor craftsmanship. If you are thinking of buying their product, I beg you to research it thoroughly, via many web-sites and by speaking to many friends. I have complied a list of sites that have complaints about the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge family. I hope you avail yourselves of these sites so you can be fully informed of how the consumers are being treated by the company that we support by buying their product.

Steiger Performance, part number sp13002

Page 1: 2006 Jeep Liberty window regulator breaks | CarComplaints.com

Jeep Liberty Window regulator issue : Maintenance & Repairs Jeep Liberty

Ripoff Report Search Results: Jeep Daimler Chrysler

2007 Jeep Liberty Reliability - MSN Autos

Chrysler Recalls 800,000 Jeep Liberty SUVs - Topix

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Car Reviews Summary for Mobile - Page 1 by ReviewCars.com

2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review

Jeep liberty 2006 back window problems (Chrysler, station wagon, warranty, noise) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Sport Comments (r99742)

Consumer complaints about Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/jeep-liberty-window-problems-solutions-947700/

Jeep Window Regulators | Auto Transport Blog for National Transport LLC

#5 ·
Anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle is really just purchasing a problem that Chrysler will not fix. Five times the window regulator has gone out on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. Now, I have researched this and there are thousands upon thousands of complaints about this online. I have submitted this issue to the NHTSA. Many more people need to do this in order for Chrysler to step up and take ownership of their poor craftsmanship. If you are thinking of buying their product, I beg you to research it thoroughly, via many web-sites and by speaking to many friends. I have complied a list of sites that have complaints about the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge family. I hope you avail yourselves of these sites so you can be fully informed of how the consumers are being treated by the company that we support by buying their product.

Steiger Performance, part number sp13002

Jeep Liberty Window regulator issue : Maintenance & Repairs Jeep Liberty

Ripoff Report Search Results: Jeep Daimler Chrysler

2007 Jeep Liberty Reliability - MSN Autos

Chrysler Recalls 800,000 Jeep Liberty SUVs - Topix

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Car Reviews Summary for Mobile - Page 1 by ReviewCars.com

2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review

Jeep liberty 2006 back window problems (Chrysler, station wagon, warranty, noise) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Sport Comments (r99742)

Consumer complaints about Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/jeep-liberty-window-problems-solutions-947700/

Jeep Window Regulators | Auto Transport Blog for National Transport LLC
BMW's have a worse track record for bad window regulators then Jeeps and cost 2-5 times more.

#6 ·
My window regs have never been replaced. Step mom who owned it before smoked and I smoke and love riding with the windows down so my windows go up and down a lot. I guess if you want to fix the problem then go to the junk yard and get some of the regulators from an 02. :D

#7 ·
The reason why these companies get away with making millions off of bad products is because the mentality seems to be "Oh, well. If I had a BMW it could be worse. It's too much effort to fight for the right thing so I'll just grab my ankles and take what's coming." I don't know about anyone else but let me tell you, that is unacceptable to me. Poor quality is poor quality. Period.

#11 ·
Mine broke this weekend. Not even 30k on the clock. And because of my lift and tires my dealer said my "lifetime" warranty won't cover it. Argued with them for an hour, finally was told "the person the vehicle is registered to on paper is the only one they will discuss it further with" and asked me to leave. Lift and tires don't void a #### quality window motor. Guess I won't be buying a vehicle from Chrysler again anytime soon. Anyone have a picture of what breaks exactly?

#16 ·
Jeep window regulators 1997-2007

There is a company that sells metal replacement kits for power window regulators on 1997-2007 Jeep Liberty models. Don't waste your money at the dealer on plastic replacement parts that will fail again. Visit this website to order http://www.steigerperformance.com/dif.cgi?sp12001 I replaced my two rear window regulator parts with these kits and I have little to no mechanical experience.

#20 ·
I've had them go out on me and being a high school teacher and walking out to your car having the windows down is not a good feeling. I don't carry anything in my car with my name, address, or anything of value which could be stolen or used against me. As a result of the bad windows, I will nerver buy another Chrysler product as long as I live. Some might think I'm overreacting, but it's my dollar to spend.

#28 ·
I also have a 2007 Liberty and the rear driver window has failed twice in 30,000 miles. So don't think I'm defending the terrible craftsmanship here... but when those cars were designed, they were designed by DaimlerChrysler. That company no longer exists. Now, while the new Chrysler Corp can't just totally abandon all the issues on the existing cars... they didn't cause the problem to begin with. They basically inherited someone else's dirty laundry and would have a tough time justifying spending any additional money on an old problem. The new Jeeps are supposed to be much more rhobust, and come most of the 2011 and 2012 models, the interior and most all other components will be getting major upgrades. So, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, wait until next year or the year after and reassess what you think of the new Chrysler... From what I've seen, you may be pleasantly surprised.

#22 ·
I'm seconding the recommendation for the Steiger Performance part. I bought an '05 Liberty about two years ago and had no problems with windows, but it got wrecked in January of this year. I liked the '05 well enough that I replaced it with an '07 Liberty. The rear windows squeaked and groaned from the day I bought this one, and the drivers side rear regulator failed a couple weeks ago. I found Steiger's site from here and lostkjs and ordered the part. It cost me about $95 with shipping,not cheap, but a lot less than the 400-500 for new glass and regulator from Jeep, which will probably just break again. This replaces just the crappy bracket that connects the cable to the glass, which is the part that usually breaks.

The instructions are very good. I think they probably saved me at least an hour vs. figuring everything out for myself. Steiger's part is steel, with nylon bolted on for the friction pieces that run in the guide rail. The cable attachment is steel. This is the part that failed on the OE piece of junk. I can't really tell what the cable attachment point on the original looked like new, because it pretty well disintegrated, but it's obviously not beefy enough to last.

Another thing to note. According to Steiger, and I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, the "new improved" regulator for 2006-2007 Liberty is actually the same regulator that was used for 2002-2005. Possibly this one didn't suck quite as bad as the newer one, but it's not compatible with the glass used on the later models, so to use it, you have to replace the entire regulator and the glass, which is whey it ends up costing 400-500 bucks.

The repair wasn't too difficult. The regulator clearly isn't designed to replaced in pieces. You have to drill or file the head off of a small rivet and bend a couple of steel tabs to get it apart. Steiger provides a tiny machine screw, nut and washers (and spares of each) to replace the rivet. The biggest problem I had was that after I put everything together, the inside door handle didn't work. I eventually traced this to a small plastic part in the linkage that was out of place. I'm not sure whether I managed to mess it up taking the door apart, or the cable from the regulator, which had pushed out of its tube into the upper rear part of the door after it broke loose had done it, but once I figured out what it was, I was able to snap it back into it's proper place, and everything worked. I started this after work, with about two hours of daylight left, and ended up finishing buy the dome lights and a headlamp, about 3.5 hours total, almost half of that spent figuring out the inside latch problem. If I have to do it again (and it's pretty likely that I will) I could probably do it in under two hours.

#23 ·
If you're thinking about going to a junk yard for 02 regulators, forget about it.

My rear right regulator went out 2 weeks ago and I've had it taped up since. I can't decide whether or not I want to drop the $90 for the Steiger part... it seems like way too much money for a tiny piece of metal and some extra hardware. I get that they're the only ones making such a part, but still...

For $45 I'd have no second thoughts.

#24 ·
If you're thinking about going to a junk yard for 02 regulators, forget about it.

My rear right regulator went out 2 weeks ago and I've had it taped up since. I can't decide whether or not I want to drop the $90 for the Steiger part... it seems like way too much money for a tiny piece of metal and some extra hardware. I get that they're the only ones making such a part, but still...

For $45 I'd have no second thoughts.
$90 is a tad pricey, but it beats the heck out spending $400-$500 at a dealer to get another piece of junk that will probably break again.

Alternatives:

Junk yard, which is likely to be a lot cheaper than the dealer but also likely to break again. Also, as often as the regulators break, they may be hard to find in a junk yard.

Jury rig some way of attaching the cable to the old bracket. Possibly you could drill some holes through the old bracket and wire it together or rig some kind of clamp. I'm not sure how viable this is, or how well it would hold up (it would depend on how you do it).

If you don't mind having a fixed window instead of one that opens, it wouldn't be too hard to remove the inside door panel, and rig some way of holding the window up. You could probably wire it up, or wedge a piece of wood or something under the window. Taping it up works, but it's kind of like putting a big "Steal my stuff" sign on the vehicle, because it wouldn't be too hard to force the window open and unlock the doors.

#26 ·
We have two Jeep Libertys in the family - ours is a 2005, our daughter's is a 2004. Both have had the back driver's side rear window regulators break. This means that not only will the window not function for up and down (which we could live with) but that the windows fall down and won't stay up. We had ours fixed in June '09 - Chrysler (obviously knowing there is a problem) covered the part even though the vehicle was out of warranty. That still left us with $220 in labor to replace what Chrysler knows is a junk part, but for which they will not do a recall.

The same window in the same Liberty broke again less than one year later. Chrysler will help to fix again, but subject to a $75 deductible this time. They basically put it to me that they are under no obligation to do anything and subtly implied that we should therefore be grateful for any assistance at all. To my way of thinking, this back-seat window in a childless vehicle gets no use at all and therefore would not be breaking but for a defective part. Talking to others and researching sites like this confirm that others are having problems, supporting the defect theory.

My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required. She feels that based on our experience, it will just break again so why put out the money. She'll just live with a taped window and a little Chrysler story to tell whenever anyone asks. (By the way, it's not convenient to take a car to the dealership and wait 2 hours for the diagnosis Chrysler requires, then back again for the needed repair - times 2 cars in our case.)

Chrysler, if you're listening, when you know you've got a defective part, a recall is the right thing to do. Too expensive? At least fix the ones that are broken so the customer is not out-of-pocket for anything. Don't want to do that either? We understand - that's what it's come to in Corporate America. That Town and Country looked pretty good as our next vehicle, but knowing how you operate, I won't ever buy another Chrysler.

#27 ·
My daughter has hers held up with tape and has opted not to fix it if a deductible is required
For $20 more than the deductible you can fix it with the Steiger part, which means it will work and never break again.

Interesting how so many people report the driver's side rear window breaking in particular, because that's what ours has done - twice - despite almost literally never being used in the five years we've had the car from new.

First time was when the car was at the dealer being repaired after an accident at the front end - they actually returned the car to us after the repair with the window taped up and said nothing about it! I thought they'd just put the tape on to seal the window up against dust or sand or something, until I got back home and took the tape off and the window dropped into the door. I went straight back to the dealer and made a fuss and they agreed to replace it and swallow the cost, but it broke again just six months later. That's when I went for the Steiger option.

#29 ·
Hey Guys, New to the forum. I bought my 2006 last year. I heard about the window problem after I bought it. Within the first three months my right front regulator broke. The dealer told me to call Jeep corp. They covered the whole job. No charge. Cost of job was over $600. Now my front drivers side is going. I have to call jeep again. still love the Jeep.

#30 ·
Hey all.

Reporting back, I ended up going with the Steiger Performance part. Was a little difficult to separate the plastic bracket from the slide rail, but once i did that it worked great.

I don't forsee ever having to replace it again (due to the way it is built) and I would recommend just plunking the $90 down each time a door goes out. If you're feeling adventurous, you could do all 4 doors at once and never have to do it again, but for now I'm just going to do each one as it comes along (if/when it does).

It's definitely worth your time to get the Steiger part installed.

#31 ·
Complete Safety Hazard!

How is it not a safety hazard?! I was driving down the interstate and went to put the passenger side window down. I heard a loud pop, almost like a gun shot. It made me jerk the wheel because I thought a tire on a semi truck blew. The window then started falling into the door while I was going 70 miles per hour. The next day (after I had taped up the previous window) the driver side window and back windows broke at the same time. I am not a smoker and I love my air conditioning, so my windows are never down. There is a problem with these parts and if the company is smart, they will recall their defective product.

#32 ·
How is it not a safety hazard?! I was driving down the interstate and went to put the passenger side window down. I heard a loud pop, almost like a gun shot. It made me jerk the wheel because I thought a tire on a semi truck blew. The window then started falling into the door while I was going 70 miles per hour. The next day (after I had taped up the previous window) the driver side window and back windows broke at the same time. I am not a smoker and I love my air conditioning, so my windows are never down. There is a problem with these parts and if the company is smart, they will recall their defective product.
Side windows are not safety problems according to most states and defined by laws but a luxury item.Until all 50 states can agree the glass can not be recalled as per the law besides the front windshield.

I know here in CO the front windshield is not required but windshield wipers are,just like my home state wipers are not required but a front windshield is.There are no laws pertaining to side glass and is classified as a luxury item so does not fall under clasification for a recall.

#33 ·
Will never buy Jeep again

This window regulator issue should have been recalled by Jeep by now. If you google this issue, you will find thousands of unhappy customers. The faulty regulators break, even while driving and the window just falls and disappears into the door. Imagine driving down the highway in the winter months with your newborn in the back car seat and a window falls open. In one year, all four windows have needed a replaced window regulator. Unacceptable. Jeep is aware of this problem and has dismissed it with no recall. Our tax dollars bailed them out, the least they could do is repay the tax payers for their own errors. I not only want a refund, I would like a personal apology from Jeep given to everyone who has had to deal with this issue as well. I will never own another Jeep/Chrysler again for the simple lack of acknowledgment.

#34 ·
This window regulator issue should have been recalled by Jeep by now. If you google this issue, you will find thousands of unhappy customers. The faulty regulators break, even while driving and the window just falls and disappears into the door. Imagine driving down the highway in the winter months with your newborn in the back car seat and a window falls open. In one year, all four windows have needed a replaced window regulator. Unacceptable. Jeep is aware of this problem and has dismissed it with no recall. Our tax dollars bailed them out, the least they could do is repay the tax payers for their own errors. I not only want a refund, I would like a personal apology from Jeep given to everyone who has had to deal with this issue as well. I will never own another Jeep/Chrysler again for the simple lack of acknowledgment.
You seem very angry over a fairly trivial problem (if you can look at the big picture).

Yes, it's inconvenient.
Yes, it costs money to replace.
Yes, it sucks that Jeep gives people a hassle about replacing them for free.
But, no, it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

It's your prerogative to "never own another Jeep/Chrysler again" because of this, but that's really a really short-sighted decision. In the grand scheme of things, a broken window regulator is (or at least should be) the least of your worries.

#36 ·
Chrylser decided to save $.27 cents on this cheap plastic cable connector and spend $600. dollars on replacing 20% of all their cars. Now....I'm not a math whiz.....but even with basic math, I can see the writing on the wall here.
Unfortunately it's no different with any automobile manufacturer. I work in the automotive industry for many different manufacturers, and they all have the same mentality, penny wise but dollar STUPID!!

#43 ·
The aftermarket part is less than $100, and no need for a new window. How does a window going down cause "SHEAR PANIC"? Plus if the roads were that bad you PANICKED by pulling over on an icy highway with speeding traffic to just put the window up! What heck would you do if a tire blew out or a ball join snapped have a coronary. Plus you paniced in how you got it fixed instead of researching the fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.