Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
RocketQjQ

Jeep Liberty Window Problems Solutions

Ok, I know this is a common problem and us Jeep Owners just have to learn to live with it, but I need to vent a little so I'll feel better and also give the Newbiews a heads up.

We have a 07 Jeep Liberty that we purchased one year ago and I've had the Driver Rear Window Regulator replaced Twice from the Dealership and the Passenger Rear Window Regulator replaced Once. Last night the Drivers-side Rear Window Regulator broke again, causing the window to slide down about half way. It rained last night and this morning the back seat and floor was covered with water not to mention my briefcase and all its contents. This will be the THIRD time for this window to be replaced. All this in just the 1 year that we've owned it. Hmmm??? But I'm still a Jeep Diehard.

I believe the Factory has fixed this problem but I have a feeling the Dealership is still replacing the Window Regulator only with the same revision.
(In other words, another one that will break in about 6months and its back to the dealership).

It appears this is a common problem with 1st Gen Jeep Libertys and Chrylser knows about it, they just don't want to issue a Recall because they feel it will costs too much. (I don't think they're taking in consideration what this is doing from a Marketing standpoint). Anyone I talk to I tell them to get a outside warranty (like WarrantyDirect) and make sure they buy their house next to a Jeep Dealership.

And on.... I hear the problem is a Little Plastic Connector that attaches the Cable to the Bracket. Had it been made out of anything but Cheap Plastic, it would hold up like a 57' Chevy Window. But to save some Costs in building the Jepp Libertys, Chrylser decided to save $.27 cents on this cheap plastic cable connector and spend $600. dollars on replacing 20% of all their cars. Now....I'm not a math whiz.....but even with basic math, I can see the writing on the wall here.

Ok, e'nuff grumbling.... Some action. I'm going to ask the dealership if I can have the old parts, even if I have to buy them back from them, so I can ReDesign a new Metal Connector and Metal Guide Sleeve.

If the Dealer refuses, then I'll go to Plan B. I'll buy several rolls of Duct Tape, use my Sawzall to make a 10" slit through the outside of my door all the way through to the inside. Then I'll loop several rolls of Duct Tap over the window, down along the door to the slit, through to the inside and back around about 20 times. If someone in the back needs the window open, I can simply pull over, cut the duct tape, let the window fall to the bottom and Walaa. (Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud of me). I might even tape a Roll of Duct Tape on the front of the hood as a Jeep Hood Ornament. If we all do that, then when we pass each other out there on that long desert highway, we'll know who our Regulator Brothers and Sisters are. Just honk and hold up how many times you've had your Jeep Liberty Windows fixed.

ps. For you old timers out there, please don't hold up both hands and feet.

RocketQjQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Bad window regulators are more of a '05-'07 KJ thing.My '02 has all 4 original regulators in it(and working perfectly) and I smoke so they go up and down alot.It's pretty much a newer Jeep thing,the KJ is not alone with this problem.There is a TSB out that now includes a new style regulator that requires new glass also,make sure you get the latest update(means a new window was installed).

Oh and a bad regulator is not a safety issue so no recall will be issued,the will issue(and have already issued) a TSB for the regulators.
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
RocketQjQ

Well, had the Drivers-side passenger window replaced today from Normadin Chrysler Jeep in San Jose and not only did the Service Advisor have the Window AND Regulator replaced under a new TSB, put a sticker on the door and warranty the repair for 1year, regardles of the Factory Warranty but also brought me the broken Regulator and showed me where the Cable screws into the PLASTIC connector had broken due to not enough threads into the connector and something about the angle.

But all fixed and working fine.......supposedly for good!
RocketQjQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
melisarob

Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle is really just purchasing a problem that Chrysler will not fix. Five times the window regulator has gone out on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. Now, I have researched this and there are thousands upon thousands of complaints about this online. I have submitted this issue to the NHTSA. Many more people need to do this in order for Chrysler to step up and take ownership of their poor craftsmanship. If you are thinking of buying their product, I beg you to research it thoroughly, via many web-sites and by speaking to many friends. I have complied a list of sites that have complaints about the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge family. I hope you avail yourselves of these sites so you can be fully informed of how the consumers are being treated by the company that we support by buying their product.

Steiger Performance, part number sp13002

Page 1: 2006 Jeep Liberty window regulator breaks | CarComplaints.com

Jeep Liberty Window regulator issue : Maintenance & Repairs Jeep Liberty

Ripoff Report Search Results: Jeep Daimler Chrysler

2007 Jeep Liberty Reliability - MSN Autos

Chrysler Recalls 800,000 Jeep Liberty SUVs - Topix

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Car Reviews Summary for Mobile - Page 1 by ReviewCars.com

2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review

Jeep liberty 2006 back window problems (Chrysler, station wagon, warranty, noise) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Sport Comments (r99742)

Consumer complaints about Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/j...utions-947700/

Jeep Window Regulators | Auto Transport Blog for National Transport LLC
melisarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisarob View Post
Anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle is really just purchasing a problem that Chrysler will not fix. Five times the window regulator has gone out on my 2006 Jeep Liberty. Now, I have researched this and there are thousands upon thousands of complaints about this online. I have submitted this issue to the NHTSA. Many more people need to do this in order for Chrysler to step up and take ownership of their poor craftsmanship. If you are thinking of buying their product, I beg you to research it thoroughly, via many web-sites and by speaking to many friends. I have complied a list of sites that have complaints about the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge family. I hope you avail yourselves of these sites so you can be fully informed of how the consumers are being treated by the company that we support by buying their product.

Steiger Performance, part number sp13002

Jeep Liberty Window regulator issue : Maintenance & Repairs Jeep Liberty

Ripoff Report Search Results: Jeep Daimler Chrysler

2007 Jeep Liberty Reliability - MSN Autos

Chrysler Recalls 800,000 Jeep Liberty SUVs - Topix

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Car Reviews Summary for Mobile - Page 1 by ReviewCars.com

2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review

Jeep liberty 2006 back window problems (Chrysler, station wagon, warranty, noise) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Sport Comments (r99742)

Consumer complaints about Jeep

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/j...utions-947700/

Jeep Window Regulators | Auto Transport Blog for National Transport LLC
BMW's have a worse track record for bad window regulators then Jeeps and cost 2-5 times more.
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My window regs have never been replaced. Step mom who owned it before smoked and I smoke and love riding with the windows down so my windows go up and down a lot. I guess if you want to fix the problem then go to the junk yard and get some of the regulators from an 02.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
melisarob

The reason why these companies get away with making millions off of bad products is because the mentality seems to be "Oh, well. If I had a BMW it could be worse. It's too much effort to fight for the right thing so I'll just grab my ankles and take what's coming." I don't know about anyone else but let me tell you, that is unacceptable to me. Poor quality is poor quality. Period.
melisarob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
rxmxsh
2006 KJ Liberty 

My driver rear window went out TODAY. I bought the Jeep used through car max about 8 months ago. I bought their extended warranty - will the dealership fix this for free, or should I take it to carmax?
rxmxsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
rxmxsh
2006 KJ Liberty 

Also - where can I find an official list of TSBs? I googled, but I guess not well enough.
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
-J-
2007 KJ Liberty 

Yesterday my right rear window regulator seems to have failed. The window rolls down by hand. Any feedback on the Steiger Performance kit? I would rather use this method instead of replacing the entire assembly including the window.
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
FlyingLow
2007 KJ Liberty 

Mine broke this weekend. Not even 30k on the clock. And because of my lift and tires my dealer said my "lifetime" warranty won't cover it. Argued with them for an hour, finally was told "the person the vehicle is registered to on paper is the only one they will discuss it further with" and asked me to leave. Lift and tires don't void a #### quality window motor. Guess I won't be buying a vehicle from Chrysler again anytime soon. Anyone have a picture of what breaks exactly?
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow View Post
Mine broke this weekend. Not even 30k on the clock. And because of my lift and tires my dealer said my "lifetime" warranty won't cover it. Argued with them for an hour, finally was told "the person the vehicle is registered to on paper is the only one they will discuss it further with" and asked me to leave. Lift and tires don't void a #### quality window motor. Guess I won't be buying a vehicle from Chrysler again anytime soon. Anyone have a picture of what breaks exactly?
A window regulator is not covered by the lifetime warranty,the lifetime warranty only covers the powertrain.The windows are not part of the powertrain.
Unread 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

What he said.
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

The TSB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmxsh View Post
Also - where can I find an official list of TSBs? I googled, but I guess not well enough.

Here ya go rxmxsh

JEEP LIBERTY Technical Service Bulletin - Safety for JEEP LIBERTY
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
rxmxsh
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkorange View Post
Thanks. Nothing from Jeep themselves though?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.