Jeep Liberty vibration at 40 mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty vibration at 40 mph

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
jhartsell
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Liberty vibration at 40 mph

My wife has a 2007 Liberty. When you reach 40 to 50 MPH there is a vibration. It does not do it before 40 mph or after 50 mph. Is this some type of balance problem or am I going to be replacing some crap?

jhartsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
GSXRGUY
2002 KJ Liberty 

Alignment, or a maybe a belt has slipped in the tire
GSXRGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

Vibrations

I would check that the Wheel Bearings are tight, tire pressure, and ensure that you have not scratched/dented the rim or lost a balance weight on the rims. Have the tires checked for even wear, and balancing first, a wheel alignment can be eyeballed by setting your wheel straight on level ground, and go 20 feet in front of the vehicle, and see if both tires are pointing straight and not toe in/out.
Just some ideas...
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

When was the last time you had your tires balanced? Usually out of balance tires can cause this, as well as it is the cheapest fix. But also tires that are cupped/scalloped or incorrectly worn can cause vibration. Personally if you haven't balanced your tires in a while that might be an easy cheap fix, even if it isnt its good to do anyways.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
jeepdaddy65
2005 KJ Liberty 

My 05 Rocky Mountain had the same thing happen, I took it to the dealer, under warranty, and they found that the rear U-Joint was bad. They replaced both front and rear u-joints with greasable ones and all was good.
jeepdaddy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Odyssey

same vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartsell View Post
My wife has a 2007 Liberty. When you reach 40 to 50 MPH there is a vibration. It does not do it before 40 mph or after 50 mph. Is this some type of balance problem or am I going to be replacing some crap?
My wife has the same problem in her 2007 Liberty. The vibration is only there when travelling at 40 to 55 mph ( 70 to 90 kph here in Canada) and only when in overdrive. Most noticable with slight acceleration or going up incline. Take it out of OD and the vibe goes away.

Dealership has tried new torque convertor and software. No real improvement afterwards. Had another 2007 Liberty that Chrysler took back with the same problem. Couldn't fix that one and can't fix this one.

Trying to get it bought back aslo.

Curious if others have felt this vibration.
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
wildroot
2006 KJ Liberty 

I don't know if OD is torque converter lock up or in addition to... If it is only in OD, make sure the engine is tuned up and the tranny mounts are good. The 3.7 (and many other engines) are not the smoothest and the manufacturers try to hide it with soft mounting. If the mount on the transmission tailshaft housing is bad, it will oscillate with the driveshaft. Especially when the torque converter locks up.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

One other thing to check first. Check the harmonic driveline balancer (I don't know if I am useing the right termonology) for the driveline. If you look underneith near the rear axle/diff/driveshaft near where it goes in to the pinion you will see it. It could have got wacked. At least this is a simple thing to check, and you never know.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
ivorycruncher

I think this may be a non-issue. My 08 also "vibrates" while in overdrive around 40-50 mph while pulling up an incline. So did my old 99 Explorer, although the Jeep does it far less intensely. Must just be a harmonic resonance thing with all the drivetrain components.
ivorycruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
oldmac1
2014 WK 

My wife has the same problem in her 2007 Liberty. The vibration is only there when travelling at 40 to 55 mph ( 70 to 90 kph here in Canada) and only when in overdrive. Most noticable with slight acceleration or going up incline. Take it out of OD and the vibe goes away.

Dealership has tried new torque convertor and software. No real improvement afterwards. Had another 2007 Liberty that Chrysler took back with the same problem. Couldn't fix that one and can't fix this one.

My OL's has the same issue, seems like the torque converter is messing up. My 02 Liberty was outstanding, this one is not.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
all4fun222

My wife has an 03 liberty and does the same thing. I have had it to the dealership many times when she first bought it, and they can not fix it. SUPPOSEDLY DC Corp is looking into the issue, which I have paperwork stating, but at this time "there is no fix to it". It has been back to the dealer multiple times for other issues, and I have them check each time and they still say no fix. Matter of fact, its there right now, 3 blown coils. I have put more money into this 03 Liberty then I ever have in my 98 GMC. I bought the Jeep 2 years ago, the GMC 7 years ago. I cant say that I am all too impressed with DC products. This was my first one, and good chance of it being the last. If you come up with a fix, please let me know. My wife would be ecstatic!!!!
all4fun222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
crosscoach
2005 KJ Liberty 

My 2005 does the same thing. Sounds like running over wake up strips on the highway.
crosscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
martarts

Jeep Liberty '03 experiencing same problem started at 60,000 miles, happens at 40mph, and at 70 mph. Dealer replaced rear U-Joint but did not fix problem. Anyone have a successful fix yet?
martarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
FireAssasain

Does anyone know the 1-800 # to chrysler to find out if other yer jeeps can get a free sensor softwere upgrade for free at thier local dealer i own a 04 liberty an it wobbled but not after i turned the OD off but id like to have it fixed so i dont need to do that all the time
FireAssasain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #15
MartinEvans

Hi All,

I've had the same problem, many thanks to all who have posted suggestions. My 2007 3.7L 2WD Liberty had the vibration between 45-55mph. The dealer initially changed the torque converter but no improvement, thanks to this forum and others they have replaced the driveshaft. There is still a vert slight vibration there, but It has improved it to the point where it's not an issue now. You also have to drive in such a way that will bring it on, i.e. go up an incline at 45mph ease off the gas to change up/lock the converter and very gently squeeze the gas again. Even then it's barely noticeable and I suspect the Liberty isn't the only car that may do that under those conditions.

I must add that whilst my dealer has been exceptionally helpful, they did take some convincing that there was a problem. Initial response was that they all do it, workaround by turning overdrive off or accelerating, none of which I was happy to do on a frequent basis, especially in traffic!

So I just hope it stays good now and that there isn't another problem causing the driveshaft to fail over time.

Time will tell...
MartinEvans is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.