Jeep Liberty Speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty Speedometer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
jlynn

Jeep Liberty Speedometer

Hello,
I have a 2002 jeep liberty sport.The speedometer on my kj has started to bounce at no matter what the speed. Has anyone else had a problem with a bouncing speedometer?

Thanx
jlynn

jlynn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
swyszomirski

I had this problem in my old FORD SHO, the linkage was coming loose, and eventually came loose from the tranny. Either take it to the stealership or look in your manual as to where it connects and check it yourself.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/798121
swyszomirski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
madmanfrommars

Happened to me once (not in a jeep), except every dial on the instrument cluster started to bounce crazily. They had to replace the entire unit.
madmanfrommars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
WhiteWater

Had that happen on a friends. Turns out the battery was crappin' out. Put a new one in and it was cured. Now I have no idea why a battery going out would cause this but you might want to get it load tested.
WhiteWater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
kjnut

Liberty Speedometer Fix

I have a 2002 Liberty the speedometer went nuts on me... then quit....then started working fine...then went nuts again...went through this process several times(over a few days time)Then quit for good.I replaced the transmission speed sensor(advice from Jeep dealer)didn't help.Then changed the speedometer sensor(also on the transmission)I noticed during changing it that thewires going to this sensoer had been frayed from rubbing on the emergency brake cable...I repaired the wire and rerouted them under the cable.Speedometer works fine now with no sign of trouble.Sensor still need replaced due to shorting out.I don't know why they designed it to go up and over the brake cable and along the frame.I could not get an anwser from Jeep.I hope this helps.Please get the word out elswhere if anyone has this problem.
kjnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
ZR7 Ken

"Then changed the speedometer sensor(also on the transmission)"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the sensor you're referring to is on the top of the rear differential, not on the transmission.

The emergency brake cable rub is something I've seen on many Libertys. Very poor planning, as far as I'm concerned.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
red125

Jeep Liberty Speedometer

I just had my speedometer go a 2nd time on my 2002 Liberty Sport. First time it was $130 at the dealership to repair the wire. This time, they say they have to replace the wiring harness and the speed sensor for a cost of around $900. They also told me that a mouse or a squirrel must have chewed the wire!
red125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
ragoo43

02 Liberty speedometer issue

I have the same problem. The speedometer stopped working last year. Took back to the dealer ( it was used 02 Liberty still under 30 day warranty) they fixed it no charge said wire was loose. Then a week ago 11/15/07 same thing so I started checking it myself. Found out the wire to the speed sensor that controls the speedometer on the rear axle was rubbing on the e -brake cable.
it was spliced several times must have happenend more than once or twice. I cut the wires took the part to my local junkyard $15 later it was working fine.ragoo_46@yahoo.com for a pic of the wires. ragoo43
ragoo43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
b_bittick

Im having the same problem with the speedometer. I have replaced the sensor and looked at the wire that controls the speedometer and it is not frayed or spliced or anything. What else could this be!!! I am moving to FL in two days, i really need to figure this out.
b_bittick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
bowhunter23
2002 KK Liberty 

Speedometer

Hello i just bought my 2002 jeep liberty and the darn speedometer went out in it!! About a week after it went out i noticed any time i slow down the jeep will stall out. After doing some research i found out that the wires to the speedometer will make the jeep stall out. Is this true? and where at is the wires for the speedometer? is there any diagrams or anything like that i can use? i need some help here im in college and a pizza delivery driver i need my jeep!!!
bowhunter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
RankinD
2003 KJ Liberty 

This is usually an easy fix. The speedometer gets it signal from the speed sensor on the top of the rear differential. Most of the time the wires are rotted or broken and you just need to put a new plug on it. Can get it at the parts place of the dealership for very cheap and takes about 10 minutes to do. Did it to mine and fixed the problem.
RankinD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
bowhunter23
2002 KK Liberty 

Okay last night i looked at the sensor and found out the wires are broke coming out of it on the left side i need to get new wires put in it? or does the new sensor have the wires on it?
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
RankinD
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter23 View Post
Okay last night i looked at the sensor and found out the wires are broke coming out of it on the left side i need to get new wires put in it? or does the new sensor have the wires on it?
The sensor itself should be fine. It doesn't have its own wires coming out. What has broke is the wires coming out of the plug that goes into the sensor. The dealership's parts dept. will have a new plug for like $10. Dont get the sensor, just the plug repair kit / new plug. Unplug the one that is on it, cut the wires. Use a soldering gun to solder the new plug on, and plug it back in. It took me about 10 minutes to fix mine. The one I got from the dealership came with its own heat shrink tubes that had some sort of sealing glue inside of them. All straight forward stuff. Just make sure you pay close attention to which wire goes to which connector, don't cross them.

I also doubt that it is causing the jeep to stall out. the transmission has its own speed sensors, separate from the one on the rear differential. If it is stalling out when you come to a stop, clean out your idle air control motor and intake throttle body. Very easy and well documented stuff. Takes about 1 hour.
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
bowhunter23
2002 KK Liberty 

Now my dad put a new sensor on it and also a new plug he rewired it too he has also cleaned out the fluids in the rear diff and the speedometer still wont work. is there anything else to do?
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
RankinD
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter23 View Post
Now my dad put a new sensor on it and also a new plug he rewired it too he has also cleaned out the fluids in the rear diff and the speedometer still wont work. is there anything else to do?
Other than checking for frayed wires, I have no idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.