Jeep Liberty recall procedure for Lower Ball Joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty recall procedure for Lower Ball Joints

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Steven73

Jeep Liberty recall procedure for Lower Ball Joints

If you want to have your recall work authorized quickly, email jeep from their own website, and they will email you an authorization letter to take to your dealers for the recall work on the Jeep Liberty lower ball joint issue. Their email answer usually takes about 3 days. From there, you make an appointment with your Jeep dealer to get the work done!

Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
70boss302

Thanks for the heads up!
Unread 01-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
fastfive0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Or you can just call your dealer and they can run an instant online check and see if your vehicle is included in the recall. You dont need "authorization" or that card they send you in the mail.
fastfive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
Steven73

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfive0
Or you can just call your dealer and they can run an instant online check and see if your vehicle is included in the recall. You dont need "authorization" or that card they send you in the mail.

That could be, but since my dealer is 50 miles away, I'd rather have all the paperwork and be totally prepared, than just try winging it. Besides, Daimler/Chrysler told me in writing to take that authorization notice in to the dealer when I showed up for the appointment. Sometimes, dealers and the main office have communication difficulties and I don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Last edited by Steven73; 01-10-2004 at 04:16 PM..
Unread 01-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
fastfive0
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's not "might be" I am a service manager at one of the largest dealerships in Pa. Every chrysler/jeep/dodge dealership is required to run whats called a V.I.P on any car that is serviced. Included in that online printout is any recall ever issued on your vehicle that has or has not been completed. Therefore when you go into your dealership if they question you about the recall tell them its a DC policy/procedure to run a VIP on your vehicle and findout. This is when most owners find out there are more then 1 recall out there remaining on there vehicle. If you feel that what I'm telling you is a little more then you want to tell your dealer,feel free to post your VIN number and I will run a VIP for you and let you know within a minute of me reading your post.
Unread 01-10-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
tlopeznj

Ball Joint Recall

So what should I be looking for ? I have an 03 liberty limited...and have noticed a noise coming from the front left suspension whenever I go over a bump.....not all bumps or hills just one that requires a little more suspension travel.
tlopeznj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Steven73

looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlopeznj
So what should I be looking for ? I have an 03 liberty limited...and have noticed a noise coming from the front left suspension whenever I go over a bump.....not all bumps or hills just one that requires a little more suspension travel.
BALL JOINTS
Unread 01-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Steven73

Thanks

Quote:
It's not "might be" I am a service manager at one of the largest dealerships in Pa. Every chrysler/jeep/dodge dealership is required to run whats called a V.I.P on any car that is serviced. Included in that online printout is any recall ever issued on your vehicle that has or has not been completed. Therefore when you go into your dealership if they question you about the recall tell them its a DC policy/procedure to run a VIP on your vehicle and findout. This is when most owners find out there are more then 1 recall out there remaining on there vehicle. If you feel that what I'm telling you is a little more then you want to tell your dealer,feel free to post your VIN number and I will run a VIP for you and let you know within a minute of me reading your post.
Thanks for your offer of help. I do trust my dealer, but just thought I would follow what Daimler/Chrysler told me to do. Going to the dealer is a major league hassle during the winter, so I've been avoiding that by doing my own oil and filter changes. There isn't any time expiration on the C36 lower ball joint recall work for the 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4 is there?
Unread 01-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
fastfive0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven73
Thanks for your offer of help. I do trust my dealer, but just thought I would follow what Daimler/Chrysler told me to do. Going to the dealer is a major league hassle during the winter, so I've been avoiding that by doing my own oil and filter changes. There isn't any time expiration on the C36 lower ball joint recall work for the 2003 Liberty Sport 4x4 is there?
No, recalls do not expire by time or mileage. Keep in mind......this recall is mostly for the 2002 liberty. Most that I have seen on the 2003's do not require replacement of the ball joints. 2002's are almost all replacements.......but I have not seen 1 2003 need the balljoints replaced yet. We simply put it up on the lift inspect them and give them back to the customer.
Unread 01-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #10
Zookeeper

Quote:
My wife's '03 Liberty has developed this noise, too, although I haven't narrowed it down to left or right yet.
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:53 PM   #11
Steven73

Quote:
No, recalls do not expire by time or mileage. Keep in mind......this recall is mostly for the 2002 liberty. Most that I have seen on the 2003's do not require replacement of the ball joints. 2002's are almost all replacements.......but I have not seen 1 2003 need the balljoints replaced yet. We simply put it up on the lift inspect them and give them back to the customer.
I purchased my 2003 Liberty in October of 2002, so it had to be manufactured sometime in 2002. Wouldn't that qualify under the same guidelines in application to the recall as a 2002?
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
tlopeznj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper
My wife's '03 Liberty has developed this noise, too, although I haven't narrowed it down to left or right yet.

I have scheduled a service appointment this coming Friday so I will have them take a look to see what might be causing the noise. The noise I hear is not something that souds loose, it seems to be the strut possibly. Its not a constant sound only occurs going over some bumps and hills when the suspension is stretched. Ill post the results of the service visit Friday evening.
tlopeznj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #13
fastfive0
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have them check your front sway bar bushings and or links. These are common problems on liberty's and Grand Cherokee's.
Unread 01-12-2004, 05:22 AM   #14
Zookeeper

Quote:
I have scheduled a service appointment this coming Friday so I will have them take a look to see what might be causing the noise. The noise I hear is not something that souds loose, it seems to be the strut possibly. Its not a constant sound only occurs going over some bumps and hills when the suspension is stretched. Ill post the results of the service visit Friday evening.
I'd appreciate that. I noticed the other day when driving the Liberty...like yours, occurs only when the suspension is stretched.
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #15
Erik

Quote:
I installed a 2.5 lift on my 2002. Is this going to affect the recall of the ball joints?
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.