Jeep Liberty P2096 code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty P2096 code

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
bassnleo
2005 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Liberty P2096 code

My C.E.L came on recently and it came up with the code P2096. I brought it to the mechanic and they told me it was the catalytic converter. After i heard the price i decided i would try to do it myself, i have basic knowledge of automobiles and tools. I did my brakes recently without a problem but im no ASE Mechanic. i called auto zone and the converter itself is 433 and the whole y pipe assembly is 800. Do i need to do the whole thing or will one work? how do i know which one to replace? Also do the o2 sensors need to be replaced as well? any information that could help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
-matt-

bassnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do you have a welder and know how to use it? If not you will need the whole y-pipe assembly.

Just remember aftermarket cats are not nearly the same quality as OEM cats and why aftermarket cats are not 50 state legal.If your under 8 years and 80,000 miles just take it to the dealership since the cats are warrantied for that time.

But that code is not for bad cat's,the most common issues that set that code are bad downstream O2 sensors and/or bad upstream O2 sensors, and exhuast leaks.

I would get a better diagnoses before replacing the cats and if it is just a O2 sensor make sure it is not a Bosch O2 sensor,use only OEM or NTK O2 sensors in your Jeep.
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I agree with tjkj,this code doesnt show the cat as one of the causes. Engine Mechanical problem,and fuel contamination will also set this code.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
bassnleo
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for the quick response! I thought it was the cat because when you hit it you can hear something almost rattling around inside it. It sounds the same on each side is this normal, also at idle it rattles a little. I do have a welder and i can use it if needed. Can i use a non California compliant cat like this http://www.jcwhitney.com/high-capaci...rid=c10821u0j1 ?
thanks
matt
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yep, tjkj hit it dead on. Thats not a cat code, like say p0420 and p0430 are, and even those arent always for bads cats. From my experience, if the mechanic says it jumped time, the cats are plugged, or it needs a pcm, theres a strong possibility the guy is clueless and lost, and is trying to flush it.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
bassnleo
2005 KJ Liberty 

I went to NAPA and got a NTK Downstream o2 sensor for the drivers side. Put it in, unhooked the battery to reset the light, and drove about 30 miles. No CEL so far hopefully it stays off.
thanks for the help
-matt-
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
bassnleo
2005 KJ Liberty 

I just got my Inspection Sticker and less than 10 miles later i get the P 0420. The cat rattles like there is something inside it bouncing around. How long can i drive like this? will it effect anything else?
thanks
-matt-
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnleo View Post
I just got my Inspection Sticker and less than 10 miles later i get the P 0420. The cat rattles like there is something inside it bouncing around. How long can i drive like this? will it effect anything else?
thanks
-matt-
Just like streetglideok said P0420 is a code that can be a bad converter,so if it rattles and now have a code for possible bad cats,then I say replace it.You never answered if your under 80k,if you do its under Emission Warranty, like tjkj said.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

If it is rattling inside, then its at risk of breaking up and causing a major exhaust restriction, and cause a slew of other problems. Longer you wait, the richer we'll get fixing your jeep man. Get it in asap
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
bassnleo
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ok thanks. I have 135,000 so I'm well past the emissions warranty. Ill probably buy the whole y pipe and do it myself. It looks like there are only 2 bolts on each side connecting it to the headers maybe? And 2 bolts connecting the back to the muffler. It shouldn't be too hard. Any tips?
Thanks
Matt
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah since you live in the rust belt, lots of penetrating oil, and wd40 doesnt count. Soak the bolts, and cross your fingers it comes apart.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.