Jeep liberty kj 3.7l v6 cam belt tentsioner and belt replacement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep liberty kj 3.7l v6 cam belt tentsioner and belt replacement.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

Jeep liberty kj 3.7l v6 cam belt tentsioner and belt replacement.

Hope somebody can help. I am looking for the part numbers for a replacement cam or timing belt tentsioner and the belt itself. Thanks

AndyDex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

If you want OEM parts, you can look up numbers and (undiscounted) prices at Factory Chrysler Parts.

If you want aftermarket, use RockAuto.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks will have a look
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Only one issue, the v6 doesn't have a timing belt.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Only one issue, the v6 doesn't have a timing belt.
He would have figured it out.

Also, it has two tensioners and they are unique to each side.

If you have an earlier liberty you might consider pulling the passenger head and having the intake seats replaced. #2 is known to drop. You will be so far into the engine replacing the chain that all you have left to do for the head is the 10 bolts, the exhast manifold and the cam sensor.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well it's nice to find this out. It's my first jeep and I live in the middle of the bush in Zambia. So it's a bit hard to bring into the dealership. I'm trying to bring the parts in through my friends coming in from the states or South Africa. So if anyone has replaced the timing belts before that could give me some pointers would really help. Thanks.
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

You have the FSM (factory service manual) for the 2002 model year, yes? Also, it uses timing *chains*, not belts.

From what I understand, it's a very time-consuming job because you have to tear into so much of the engine, but as long as you're methodical and are able to give it the time it needs without rushing, it's not overly difficult. I believe it may require some special tools though. The FSM has full details.
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

AVR thanks. I unfortunately do not have the service manual. Would I be able to download a diagram or a adobe service manual or something.
I have emailed the jeep dele airship in South Africa to see if I can get the parts from there will be allot cheaper than here.
If there is anything else you can think of I will really appreciate the help. It's just a drag trying to find people here that actually know what they talking about, allot of them just talk bull here in Africa and think they know everything. That's were I got the idea that my jeep had a timing belt and not a timing chain. Once again thanks. If I'm sitting with whole bunch of bolts in my hand flyer the job you will be hearing from me. Well hopefully that does not happen. Cheers
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I think I found info for the service manual in this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/l...anuals-801654/

There are a couple of special tools I went ahead and bought. The valve spring compressor, which I later found out from my engine builder there are more generic versions of and the cam wrench. This holds the cam in place while you torque the end bolt down.

I have not acutally replaced the timing chains. I have done tensioners and I also had to pull the head which meant disconnecting the timing chain.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDex View Post
AVR thanks. I unfortunately do not have the service manual. Would I be able to download a diagram or a adobe service manual or something
Googling will find you lots of vendors of instant-download PDF service manuals, and you can also find them for free if you look in places like Scribd. Don't attempt to do the job without the full factory procedure.
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Unless you are having a problem, there is no need to replace the timing chains on the v6 engine. The four cylinder gas(petro?) and diesel engines have belts that require replacement.
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok great the reason why I was wanting to do the timing chains replacement is that I have a rattling noise coming from the engine bay. I've check everything else and even taken of the serpentine belt then ran the engine for 2sec and the noise persists so the only place I can think of it has to be the timing chain or the tentioner the motor run perfect idles fine and no issue with a loss of power. What do you suggest I do. Can I just replace the tentioners or do I have to do the chains as well?
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

You can replace just the tensioners, but usually its a good idea to replace the chains and guides as well. The chain that runs the balancer shaft from the crank lacks any of that, it'll be the two that run your cams. One of the biggest problems I have seen with this engine and the 4.7L is people not lining everything back up, so be extra careful.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
AndyDex
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok great will do thanks again for all the input. It's really helping me out allot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.