Jeep Liberty Diesel Problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty Diesel Problem.

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-10-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
nickaway

Jeep Liberty Diesel Problem.

I have a Jeep Liberty Diesel with about 1000 miles on the clock. I like it but I have had a couple of problems with it. Twice when after filling up and having done about 20 to 30 miles then stopping, when I get in again to start the truck it will only run on about two cylinders. The vehicle will slowly creep through the gears and feels like it will stop any moment, clattering and creeping along. I stop and turn the truck off, phone the dealer who will ask me to get it back to the dealership. When I go to try and take the truck back it runs perfect and the dealer can not find what the problem is. Here are the details: I fill the truck when the fuel light comes on. When the problem occurs no lights come on the dash and the dealer says no problems are showing on the computer. Have any others experienced this problem and has anyone any idea what it could be. Regards Nickaway

nickaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Blue79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaway
I have a Jeep Liberty Diesel with about 1000 miles on the clock. I like it but I have had a couple of problems with it. Twice when after filling up and having done about 20 to 30 miles then stopping, when I get in again to start the truck it will only run on about two cylinders. The vehicle will slowly creep through the gears and feels like it will stop any moment, clattering and creeping along. I stop and turn the truck off, phone the dealer who will ask me to get it back to the dealership. When I go to try and take the truck back it runs perfect and the dealer can not find what the problem is. Here are the details: I fill the truck when the fuel light comes on. When the problem occurs no lights come on the dash and the dealer says no problems are showing on the computer. Have any others experienced this problem and has anyone any idea what it could be. Regards Nickaway
Does it hang at like 20mph and about 3000rpm?
Blue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Diesel Inferno

It sounds like you might have air in the fuel line. It may have to be purged and primed. Maybe the air is out now however, so wait and see if it happens again.
Unread 09-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
wolcott

have a Jeep Liberty Diesel with about 1000 miles on the clock. I like it but I have had a couple of problems with it. Twice when after filling up and having done about 20 to 30 miles then stopping, when I get in again to start the truck it will only run on about two cylinders. The vehicle will slowly creep through the gears and feels like it will stop any moment, clattering and creeping along. I stop and turn the truck off, phone the dealer who will ask me to get it back to the dealership. When I go to try and take the truck back it runs perfect and the dealer can not find what the problem is. Here are the details: I fill the truck when the fuel light comes on. When the problem occurs no lights come on the dash and the dealer says no problems are showing on the computer. Have any others experienced this problem and has anyone any idea what it could be. Regards Nickaway

I noticed the same problem with my CRD. I'd been driving at a steady 60 mph, I stopped to get an item from the back, and when I restarted it, it did exactly as you described. I pulled over, shut it off, checked under the hood (all OK) and then restarted it. It ran beautifully. No check engine lights came on, and it had 1/4 tank of fuel. This is the first time this has happened, mileage is 2000. Let me know if you find out anything new about this. I've had air in the lines in other diesels and it did not sound like this. It felt more like a computer malfunction, especially with the restarting beautifully. The other computer diesel I had, a GMC 6.5, acted this way when the computer went into the "limp home" mode.

CRD Limited, use standard diesel with Stanadyne Performance additive, and have a Mann Provent installed.
wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
nickaway

I will keep you posted if I find anything out. I just filled up again and all is OK. I use the truck a lot on the beaches and a long walk from civilization so it had me a bit on edge. The fuel consumption over the first 1000 miles was just less than 20mpg with a couple of hundred being on the beach. I have also noticed an over heating problem when she is pulling in soft sand over about two miles. Thanks for your input. Regards Nickaway

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nick090305.jpg
nickaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
WXman
2001 WJ 

This happened to my CRD at about 3,500 miles. Started bucking and kicking and wouldn't hardly run. I pulled over and shut it off. Tried to start, wouldn't run. Finally got it started and it ran fine after that. My dealer looked at it, and reflashed the computer. No trouble since then and I'm at 8,500 miles.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.