Jeep Liberty CRD Engine Stall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty CRD Engine Stall

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Liberty CRD Engine Stall

I had a problem with my diesel Liberty that is similar to a couple of recent posts, but since it is a diesel, i thought i would keep this thread separate.

My 2006 with 206,000 miles drove less than a mile yesterday when it suddenly and quickly turned off. The engine would crank, but it did not even try to start. No mechanically weird noises as if something were broken. I thought it might be a fuel filter, but I replaced that, primed the filter, and nothing.

I am considering a fuel pump (fuse?), cam position sensor, crank position sensor or something like this that would cause complete and quick shut down. I put about a 3 second shot of ether into the air intake to see if it would start, but nothing. Of course, the ether had to go through a turbo, an inter-cooler and 6 feet of hose, so I am not certain it even got to the engine.

Any other thoughts, comments or experiences from anyone on this problem?

dabincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Dieselgirl
2005 KJ Liberty 

CRD stalled

crack open your injector lines while someone turns over the engine to see if you are getting fuel to all 4 injectors. Sounds like the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad. If you are getting fuel and it still won't fire you may have a broken timing belt.
Dieselgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

I checked the timing belt by pulling off the top bolts on the outer cover and pulling back slightly. The belt is in the right place, doesn't appear to be damaged, and seems to have some slack when I push it with a dowel. Granted, I can only see the top part of the belt...

When I crack a fuel line at the injectors, absolutely no fuel comes out.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Dieselgirl
2005 KJ Liberty 

How old is your timing belt? It should be tight! If it's loose it may not be powering your injector pump (or anything else)
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabincharlotte View Post
I checked the timing belt by pulling off the top bolts on the outer cover and pulling back slightly. The belt is in the right place, doesn't appear to be damaged, and seems to have some slack when I push it with a dowel. Granted, I can only see the top part of the belt...

When I crack a fuel line at the injectors, absolutely no fuel comes out.
There is no fuel pump in the tank, only the large one driven by the cambelt.
There is a fuel pressure solenoid at the pump that may be faulty.
Best to go to the CRD section at www.lostjeeps.com for expert advice
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks. I looked at the repair procedure for the solenoid/ fuel pump and it looks like it requires some special tools. I will also replace the timing belt if I get that far.
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

It looks like it is the timing belt. I removed enough stuff to see the belt turn while cranking and the belt and camshafts don't move. Does that mean _for sure_ the engine is toast? The vehicle has 205,000 miles on it, so I am not real interested in sinking a lot of money in to it.

But if it is a sure thing that timing belt break while running = assured engine damage, then I may just put it up on eBay as is.
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I might recommend sending a PM to Kieth from GDE. They are a member here and have a great depth of knowledge on these 2.8's.

Do a quick search for posts from him.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks. I am looking over the service procedures right now on what it takes to repair.
Unread 12-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Dieselgirl
2005 KJ Liberty 

Crap. This is one time I wish I wasn't right. do you have engine building experience? Your very possibly looking at rocker damage and a bent valve or two which will need to be done by a reputable machine shop and with as many miles as you have I'd have the heads rebuilt. New timing belt and accessories are $600-700 in parts alone and intake manifold cleaning. Doing it yourself will probably realistically be around $1500 to do it right when it's all said and done and probably double that for someone else to do the work.
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

I think this weekend i will pull it apart and just take a look. I have rebuilt several gas engines, so I am ok doing this, and I have a great machine shop nearby who machined my Cherokee's 6 cylinder when I built a 4.6 liter stroker.
Hopefully the damage will be contained to the head and valves and there is no carnage to the cylinder walls and pistons.
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Dieselgirl
2005 KJ Liberty 

Generally the only damage that will occur to the short block will be a valve edge shaped mark on one piston or two. You'll do fine. Good luck.
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
dabincharlotte
2006 KJ Liberty 

I posted my problem over in the lostjeeps forum, and they have been a great help.

I'm getting my parts list together. Two items that I have not located yet are the rocker arms and new head bolts. Neither moparonlineparts.com or moparpartsamerica.com show them. If anyone has any resources they would share to loccate these items, that would be great.
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Dieselgirl
2005 KJ Liberty 

Try ebay. Someone on there is parting out a CRD motor with 59K You could ask him if he has the rockers for sale.
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #15
crd05il

On lostjeep.com they had some rockets for sell a few days ago. In the for sell section.
crd05il is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crd , diesel , liberty , stall issue

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.