Jeep Liberty 3.7 Front Prop Shaft CV problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Liberty 3.7 Front Prop Shaft CV problem?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
optix2020
2003 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Liberty 3.7 Front Prop Shaft CV problem?

Hi to you all, I am pretty comfortable around motors, but its not my day job so my experience of such conditions is not always 100%.
My latest Jeep developed a strange sound when driving in D... sounds like the brake discs at the front are metal on slight metal.... when depressing teh footbrake harder progressively, the sound seems to be there but lesser. I jacked the NSF up with my jack and rotated the front wheel which linked to (what I would call the front prop shaft) and I could identify a loose sound, not detrimental but just not tight.... when I slid under the truck NSF and grabbed what I call the front prop shaft it was Red Hot, it will move side to side by approx 3mm, and it rotates clockwise and counter clockwise about 15mm before locking up on bearings. Am I right in presumingthat the CV joints have gone (if there are any) and next.... if it is this, is it a big job to sort out as I really am nervous about something like this.... Need your help guys please. Any tips or pictures would be gratefully received. Thanks

optix2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

The front driveshaft in the Liberty is certainly a known fail point. Mine started to die about a year ago, and the symptoms were a sort of constant metallic jangling/rattling sound from under the car while driving forwards, and a short rattle once every wheel revolution when in reverse.

I initially thought it might be the brakes, but when I looked at the driveshaft I could see that the rubber boot had blown and there was more rotational play in the shaft than there should have been.

As far as repair is concerned, I think I'm right in saying that you have to replace the entire driveshaft assembly. I don't think it's a particularly difficult job if you've got a bit of experience working on cars and are able to jack the Jeep up far enough to work comfortably underneath it with heavy parts. As always, check out the relevant section of the FSM and make your judgement from that.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
optix2020
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks AVR2, much appreciated.... since positing, I had reviewed countless sites and view points... I went under the truck and pulled out the front prop only to discover that the CV joint had been subjected to water damage via the split boot. Your description of "jangling" is right on the money, it was driving me round the bend. I almost purchased new brakes and discs all round in a bid to cure the sound.... that's next job before the cold months start to arrive.... I had encountered that the Front prop shaft can be different lengths?? even though the props were for 3.7V6 auto box driven jeeps. I went for a replacement CV joint which arrives on Tuesday, the splines look fine - but I will not be 100% until I fit the CV joint on Tuesday as to whether or not the splines have worn down. I will post back with my success of replacing CV and refitting as this has been a useful journey for me. Thanks for your reply and catch you later.
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i just did the cv joint a few weeks ago. easy job especially since i already had the shaft out
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
optix2020
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thank you Jamesdart, I appreciate the reply and the support - The cv joint arrives today, I am sure it will be a straightforward job..... Cheers
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Mountie

Hi, can anyone tell me if all the CV joints are the same on the 3.7 autos as there seems to be only one listed. Also are the bolts to remove the front prop shaft at the rear of the shaft as I haven't looked much yet? And can I run the Jeep with the shaft removed until the cv joint arrives as the noise is terrible?

Thanks in advance,
Mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i think its the same part. and yeah its fine to remove it and drive. i bought my liberty in march and had to remove the shaft before i started driving it, and i just put it back in last month.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
PartsRme99

Very new to this but im posting with hopes my expierience may help somebody down the road.

My CV joint was shot and my jeep was making horrible sounds when I drove it, so I took it in to my mechanic and he confirmed my CV was in bad shape. He said one option would be to replace the joint, but after reading some horror stories and with him refering me to a great company that specializes in these things, I decided to just replace the whole front shaft. Long story short, with a little help from thier technical support team I was able to get the part and do the job my self and saved a ton of money.

Hope this might help somebody.

www.wholesaleimportparts.com

Last edited by PartsRme99; 02-22-2013 at 08:59 AM..
PartsRme99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You can replace the head/boot for 65-70 bucks
works great got a ton of miles on mine and others that I've done
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
The front driveshaft in the Liberty is certainly a known fail point. Mine started to die about a year ago, and the symptoms were a sort of constant metallic jangling/rattling sound from under the car while driving forwards, and a short rattle once every wheel revolution when in reverse.

I initially thought it might be the brakes, but when I looked at the driveshaft I could see that the rubber boot had blown and there was more rotational play in the shaft than there should have been.

As far as repair is concerned, I think I'm right in saying that you have to replace the entire driveshaft assembly. I don't think it's a particularly difficult job if you've got a bit of experience working on cars and are able to jack the Jeep up far enough to work comfortably underneath it with heavy parts. As always, check out the relevant section of the FSM and make your judgement from that.
No you don't have to

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.