Jeep liberty 2003 lift and widen the wheel base - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep liberty 2003 lift and widen the wheel base

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Jeep liberty 2003 lift and widen the wheel base

I have my baby a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport, replaced the rims with MB off-road 16 x 8 rims as the stock rims were rusting and I thought, let's go wider! The Jeep was originally my dads and I have slowly been upgrading and modifying it. I like the new rims and eventually will replace the spare rim with it as well. I put Yokohama Geloander 235/70R16 on it and they look great! But now I want to lift it, and tough country has a 3" lift kit I like. But I was wondering does anyone make a kit that is bigger but just as good? Also how can I get those wheels to stick out further so I can make it wider on the wheel base.

2003 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport with 3" Lift Rockfather Deluxe Lift from RRO (It was a gift from my grandparents back off, it was a thanksgiving surprise when they picked me up from the airport, and I saw it lifted) with all OME shocks, and front OME coils, ARB Steel bumper. 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 300 Watt RMS Mono Amp, Alpine Type-S door speakers
jewfromdahood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Tough Country lift?
never heard of it
If you are going to do it do it right with a full spring lift from OME
235-70-16 tires WOW thats way small for a 8 inch wheel

If you need more info let me know, we have a bunch of lifted KJs in Ohio even doing another here soon at my place, number 21!
Unread 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

X2 on the 235's being way to thin for a 8" rim,you will ruin the tires and I bet the installer really hated you.A 8" rim is really for 12.50" wide tires,a 7" wide rim is best suited for up to 10.50" wide tires.
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Moose340
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...lift-kits.html
Is this the kit your talking about?
Moose340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you mean a wider stance, not a bigger wheel base.

that comes with: rims with a bigger backspacing, wheel spacers, wider axles.

if you're talking about the lift previously posted, please keep looking, it's not worth the money, or the time to install it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose340 View Post
http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...lift-kits.html
Is this the kit your talking about?
I think he was referring to the "rough country" lift.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_liberty_3.html

It's a partial lift at best. If you plan on getting it your front suspension will sag a lot after the first couple of months. You're better off replacing the springs and shocks.

OME (Old Man Emu) offers the best lift for the money here: jeepinbyal.com They are very dependable and ome of the best lifts for the KJ out there.

If you are going to use OME springs go with 927 upfront and 948 in the rear.

For shocks visit shockwarehouse.com
they have free shipping so you can save some money for front and rear bumpstops.

OME advertises their lift to be 1.5" but with clevis lifts it comes out to be 2-2.5"

If you want a wider stance buy 2 pairs of these.
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by All3Sports

I think he was referring to the "rough country" lift.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_liberty_3.html

It's a partial lift at best. If you plan on getting it your front suspension will sag a lot after the first couple of months. You're better off replacing the springs and shocks.

OME (Old Man Emu) offers the best lift for the money here: jeepinbyal.com They are very dependable and ome of the best lifts for the KJ out there.

If you are going to use OME springs go with 927 upfront and 948 in the rear.

For shocks visit shockwarehouse.com
they have free shipping so you can save some money for front and rear bumpstops.

OME advertises their lift to be 1.5" but with clevis lifts it comes out to be 2-2.5"

If you want a wider stance buy 2 pairs of these.
Thank you I will look into it... And yes I did mean rough country... And what do you mean it will sag on the rough country lift? How about from here I can get a whole lift kit at www.rocky-road.com/kjome.html I am planning on adding a front and rear brush guard. Should I go with the "heavy duty" kit. Also this will have a pretty powerful aftermarket sound system. As I am a jeep man and audiophile. So the trunk will be loaded with 4 12" subs in a heavy duty box I built, and weighed down with dynamat. And one or two heavy duty AGM batteries located under the seats. The box is going to be bolted down and secured into the jeep body. And with all this adds quite a bit of weight. It's going to be a competition audio, street jeep, with off roading on occasion to get to fishing spots. But not heavy duty mountain climbing off-roading. Just off-the beaten track slightly hilly off-roading. But I love the look of a lifted jeep. But I like those spacers you told me. Definitely getting a couple pairs of those as those will definitely stick my wheels out nicely. I just wanted a wider stance to prevent rollover. And it also makes the Jeep look meaner.
2003 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport with 3" Lift Rockfather Deluxe Lift from RRO (It was a gift from my grandparents back off, it was a thanksgiving surprise when they picked me up from the airport, and I saw it lifted) with all OME shocks, and front OME coils, ARB Steel bumper. 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 300 Watt RMS Mono Amp, Alpine Type-S door speakers
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
All3Sports
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfromdahood View Post
Thank you I will look into it... And yes I did mean rough country... And what do you mean it will sag on the rough country lift? How about from here I can get a whole lift kit at www.rocky-road.com/kjome.html I am planning on adding a front and rear brush guard. Should I go with the "heavy duty" kit. Also this will have a pretty powerful aftermarket sound system. As I am a jeep man and audiophile. So the trunk will be loaded with 4 12" subs in a heavy duty box I built, and weighed down with dynamat. And one or two heavy duty AGM batteries located under the seats. The box is going to be bolted down and secured into the jeep body. And with all this adds quite a bit of weight. It's going to be a competition audio, street jeep, with off roading on occasion to get to fishing spots. But not heavy duty mountain climbing off-roading. Just off-the beaten track slightly hilly off-roading. But I love the look of a lifted jeep. But I like those spacers you told me. Definitely getting a couple pairs of those as those will definitely stick my wheels out nicely. I just wanted a wider stance to prevent rollover. And it also makes the Jeep look meaner.
I'm there for the meaner looking jeep.

The rough country lift you mentioned is OK, it replaces the factory shocks/springs in the rear but the front is lifted by adding a spacer in the front springs. Your ride will be lifted 3" for a small amount of time but if you were to add on a grille guard to the front of your jeep (like me) it puts alot more pressure on the front coils, it's better to replace them with OME springs (927/948 are HD).

I haven't been on these forums for long but I have seen several people who went cheap and bought spacers that were then forced to spend more money for a proper lift. It's better to do things right the first time.

The rocky-road lift kit you selected is the OME lift which is about the best for your money. You can choose to buy it all at once like you saw in your link or you can go to Jeepinbyal and buy the springs from there and the shocks/struts from shockwarehouse (free shipping).

I did OME springs from JeepinByAl and Rancho Shocks from Shockwarehouse and I'm at 720$ WITH shipping included. I'll post some links below:
(Regardless if your planning on adding a brush guard upfront go with the HD springs)

OME 927 Front Springs

OME 948 Rear Springs

Shocks
I'm not 100% sure about which shocks are for factory height and which are for lifted but I went with rancho's that were capable of both.

Front BumpStops
(A must have)

With the front bumpstops you will also need rear bumpstops but you can use hockeypucks and save some money.

A rear good write-up explaining the hockeypucks can be found here.

Hope that clears up a little bit about lift kits.

Good luck!
All3Sports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'd stay away from rocky road,rather piss poor company.There coil lift uses OME front coils and there own rear coils which are not OME.

The better companies to order from with great service and will not leave you hanging like RRO will.

http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

http://jeepinbyal.com/
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
sweepnchoke
2002 KJ Liberty 

Spacer lifts are inexpensive, but you definately get what you pay for, take it from someone that made that mistake (Rocky Road spacer lift), before learning my lesson and being pointed in the right direction by a few people that have already posted on this thread.

As mentioned spacer lifts reuse the existing stock coils that are very prone to sag, and likely already need to be replaced (especially considering it's an 03). The vehicle suspension isn't going to improve, and infact the spacer will shorten what ever remaining life span you have on your existing coils. Also since the stock coils are reused, your actual lift height will not be the amount gained over the stock height, instead some of that lift height will be lost just to compensate for the amount of sag in your 8yr old stock coils.

A proper coil lift will cost you 3 times as much, however it is a completely different animal. You will be getting brand new coils and shocks that are superior in both quality and longevity to the stock parts. You will have a brand new suspension and the jeep will have a better ride then it did the day it left the dealership. You will get the full lift height instead of having that lift decreased by the sag of the stock coils. Also since you plan on adding weight to the vehicle via brush guard, stereo etc. you can get HD coils to deal with the weight without the increase sag your going to get on the stock coils.

If you go cheap in this case and reuse any of your coils I can pretty much tell you what is going to happen because I have been there. You'll get the lift in and it will look great, you'll drive it around for a few months with out really noticing the sag in your coils. You start adding weight via the stereo, extra battery.... then one day you go over a bump and realize the jeep feels like your driving a waterbed, takes 3+ seconds to settle after hitting bumps, it on larger bumps or at higher speeds you'll start to bottom out, UCA's hit the bumpstops (if you didn't also install extended bump stops when you installed the spacer lift then this will accelerate the issue dramatically). Now you need to buy new coils, and likely new shocks since even though you replaced them when you installed the spacer lift, they are burnt out from having to compensate for your spongy stock coils. So now you are going to need to pay as much in parts as you would have in the beggining if you had done a coil lift instead of spacers. You'll learn your lesson, do it the right way, and keep your $300 spacer lift as a door stop/paper weight/cup holder in the garage where you curse every time you walk past as it reminds you to do better research on a modification before making a purchase.

Save your current lift budget, and add to it until you can afford a proper lift, you won't regret it and it will save you money in the long run.
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
jewfromdahood
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thank you I will save up for the better lift from EMU with the heavy duty coils. You are right it kind of has sagged over the years I noticed it when I parked it next to my buddies '10 liberty, the other day... After my competition stereo I'll be putting in. The new shocks and coils will be next on the list. Followed by cold air intake and other performance upgrades.
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Save your money on the cold air intake, they do nothing more than make a sucking sound and draw in hot air. Better performance can be had with a 3 inch hose to the grill going back into the stock box and an Amsoil filter.
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
jeepbokish

would this be what i want then? based off the replies from this thread?

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-li...006-p1941.aspx

new to the whole jeep lift/offroad thing?
jeepbokish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbokish View Post
http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-li...006-p1941.aspx

new to the whole jeep lift/offroad thing?
Very bad lift , for 299 that thing cost you can buy 4 springs almost
For a used KJ the ONLY way to go is a full spring lift
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

"Does NOT fit Renegade models"

Clearly they haven't got a clue ... Start here >>> http://jeepinbyal.com/

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.