Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Liberty 2002 - Having problems getting key out

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ayosick 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty. The thing has been a champ over the last 6 years but recently, the key would sometimes not come out of the ignition. It acts like the key lock is on and it's not in park. As the last couple of months have gone on, it's gotten worse and worse and now seems to be stuck more than not.

Yesterday I took it to a dealer and the replaced the ignition (for $250) which didn't fix anything. I brought it back again and now they are saying it's not happening at the shop, so they don't know what to fix (even thoug yesterday when I dropped it off with the service tech, it failed for him).

So question, does Merlin or anyone else have an idea what is going on? I gotta think it's not the ignition system an that its the locking mechanisum but I really don't know ANYTHING about it and apparently the Jeep service department in my area doesn't either...

-Sert

#2 ·
Shift Interlock Cable

Dealer called me and said they still couldn't figure out what the problem was so I took it home, come to find out after just looking at the system for a while and playing with it, that i noticed the 'shift interlock cable' was a little sluggish in returning to the normal position once in park. This cable apparently runs from the shifter finger switch (that button under the shifter that lets you move it into drive and such) to the ignition. This cable apparently also comes loose (though not so in my case).

I'm assuming there is some type of spring mechanizium in the cable assembly that give it some bounce once the button/switch is released and that obviously has worn out over the years (kind of makes sense). Should be as easy as just replacing that cable.

Called the Jeep dealer and now they kind of assume the same thing.

Does anyone know if that cable assembly is spring loaded? or is there something else in the cables attachement mech that could be causing it to slowly return to normal position?

-Sert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.