Jeep Libert Electric cooling fan problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Libert Electric cooling fan problem

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread Yesterday, 02:51 AM   #1
PaulOdendaal

Jeep Libert Electric cooling fan problem

Hello I have a KJ liberty 2005 2.8CRD The problem I am having is as follows
The car started over heating I found the electric fan was seized. I have replaced the fan it is now working. Here is the problem with both the hi and low relays in place the fan does not come on with the aircon, the temp then get up to 3/4 on the gauge but drops quickly. I am assuming the hi speed is kicking in. however if I remove either of the relays then the fan starts running permanently, and the temp gauge stays just below 1/2 way which is where it used to sit normally. What will be the cause of the fan not running when switching the a/c on ? The a/c blows cold and the compressor is kicking in.

Last edited by PaulOdendaal; Yesterday at 02:56 AM.. Reason: add information
PaulOdendaal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #2
mjuenem
2005 KJ Liberty 

Based on the electrical diagram I would suspect the AC Compressor Clutch Relay.
ac-fan.jpg  
mjuenem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:24 AM   #3
PaulOdendaal

Thanks will try this out this morning The wiring diagram helps
Unread Today, 04:25 AM   #4
PaulOdendaal

Hi Mjuenem sorted out thank you for the diagram the number 87 pin on the low speed relay in the fuse box was pushed down so not making contact a little push with a screw driver from behind and it clicked back into position and the fan started about 10 sec after I started the car with a/c on. PERFECT. I will say this these Jeep Liberty / Cherokee 2.8 CRD give some weird problems but most seem to be quite easily remedied I love this car and it never ceases to amaze with its capabilities.
Unread Today, 04:56 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

That diagram is actually for the Gas engine not the Diesel......the diagrams are similar and in either case have nothing to do with the AC Clutch Relay.

In the case of the Gasser, the High Speed And Low Speed Relays get their Ground power from the PCM and in the case of the Diesel these relays get their ground power from the ECM. The ECM gets its commands in this case from the BCM which gets its commands from the A/C switch panel and also High Pressure Switch for the Diesels only.... if there are issues with the refrigerant pressure.

Anyhow the problem in this case was that the Low Speed Relay was unable to send its +12 volt output to the Radiator Fan Motor due to its female pin being pushed back.

For future reference here is the circuit diagram for the relays for the Diesel....how the relays get their ground from the BCM or High Pressure Switch is pretty complicated though but here is also the location of the High Pressure Switch as well in case there are further problems.
img.jpg

img_0001.jpg

img_0002.jpg

Unread Today, 05:51 AM   #6
PaulOdendaal

I did realize it was the incorrect diagram but it was close enough to give me power flows I had tested the high pressure switch earlier by bridging the wires. It just took some testing with a multimeter and some patience to find the problem. what was confusing is that when you extract either the hi or low speed relays from the sockets the fan would run permanently till I realised that this was a fail safe so the car wont over heat due to a relay failure. Thank you for the correct diagram I have saved it to my pc for future reference.
Unread Today, 06:07 AM   #7
mjuenem
2005 KJ Liberty 

Billwill, thanks for the correction. I knew it was the gas diagram but I figured it had to be close enough.
Mark
mjuenem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.