Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 Diesel Battery - Which One? Got Battery Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 Diesel Battery - Which One? Got Battery Problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Tobes
2004 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Cherokee/Liberty 2.8 Diesel Battery - Which One? Got Battery Problems

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum, Im from the UK and have a CRD 2.8, I love her, but i have been having trouble with the battery for a while, Im not sure I have the correct size, does anyone know the optimum battery amperage and brand should be for my model.

The one I have now is 12V 69Ah 520A which isnt holding charge for that long, if I dont use the car for a few weeks the battery is dead if it is cold.

I think another problem is I just dont drive the car enough, so the battery is not getting much recharge.

Can Jeep experts shed some light for me I could do with some help

Many Thanks

Tobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Optima that came in the CRD's state side (05 & 06) - were 1000ca, 800cca, group 34R.

Mine has a charger / tender on the battery all the time, as it is not used daily and can sit for weeks. Many owners have reported a draw when their rig sits for extended periods of time. Low temps increase the drain.

Personally, if I were to replace today - it would be a Sears Platinum made by Odyssey (sp).

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 11-21-2012 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: More info
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum, Im from the UK and have a CRD 2.8, I love her, but i have been having trouble with the battery for a while, Im not sure I have the correct size, does anyone know the optimum battery amperage and brand should be for my model.

The one I have now is 12V 69Ah 520A which isnt holding charge for that long, if I dont use the car for a few weeks the battery is dead if it is cold.

I think another problem is I just dont drive the car enough, so the battery is not getting much recharge.

Can Jeep experts shed some light for me I could do with some help

Many Thanks
Here in SA we do not have the wide range of buying options that our friends in the USA have.

When my battery need replacing...the last place I would go to is the Jeep agents.....I got one from a battery supplier that would normally fit the Mercedes ML 500 Diesel I think.

It is 750 CCA but is a bit longer in size so I had to modify the battery tray a bit.

I would suggest you visit a general battery supplier and see what they have that has a high CCA rating, fits into the battery tray, has the positive and negative terminals in the correct position and ideally is a sealed no-maintenance.
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
Tobes
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks again to you both, appreciate the advice, I reckon the battery I have no works but not for that long as its not powerful enough.

By the way, is 520A the same as 520cca Im over in the UK, so Im not used to all your terms, infact here in the UK my car is a Cherokee Sport CRD not a Liberty, actually prefer the name Cherokee

I purchased this the other day http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info...oster-430.html

I should have got it years ago, no more asking people to jump start me

Re: the optima, that is what was taken out, and like a chump I asked the local garage to replace the battery, they threw in a inferior battery, and I never got the optima back, but when I looked at buying the same make it was around 220 which was way too much for me at the time.

Well I have found this lovely forum now, so hope I can get some good advise to keep my lovely car running sweet.

Even though she cost's me a fortune to drive, I love her and dont want to part with her

All the best to you both

Tobes
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your cold cranking amps (CCA) will usually be considerably less than warm static cranking amps (CA) if that helps in tracking down what you need in your location.

520ca is pretty darn low to keep these VM's starting like they should. What is the highest cca you can find in your area?

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Tobes
2004 KJ Liberty 

ah ok cold cranking amps, no wonder my car isnt starting with my rubbish battery, thanks for the info 95badboy, I need to brush up on my Jeep knowledge, hopefully people here can help me out.

Thanks

Tobes

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.