intermittent misfire (P0306), 2002 Liberty 3.7L V6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > intermittent misfire (P0306), 2002 Liberty 3.7L V6

XT (ExtremeTerrain.com) has Barricade Off-Road Armor!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
jtustaniwskyj
2002 KJ Liberty 

intermittent misfire (P0306), 2002 Liberty 3.7L V6

I am having intermittent misfires with code P0306 showing up. The spark plug and coil have been replaced and it did not go away. When it happens I can shut off the engine and start back up with the misfires. A repair shop told me it was a head gasket but the compression is fine, pressurizing the cooling system shows no leakage into the cylinder, and no evidence of coolant getting into the oil (it is very clean). Any clues what it might be?

jtustaniwskyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

FSM says causes are as follows. (05MY KJ FSM but it should be the same for this)

1) spark plugs

2) dirt in fuel system

3) burned, warped or pitted valves

4) faulty coil - (coil resistance should be .06-.09ohms primary and 6'000-9000 ohms secondary resistance.

That said, a buddy I wheel with has an 03 with codes 0305 and 0306 showing up intermittantly on #5 and #6. We swapped the coil paks, changed the plugs, checked and double checked coil pak wireing, etc and it still does it on occassion. He changed the gas brand too.

It runs just like it was a new vehicle so we don't think it is a valve or internal problem so we are stumped. We havn't had a professional look at it because it is running fine, so that's where we are with it. So if this thread turns up something I will be interested too.

Sorry if I didn't help with your problem, but that's where we are with his.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
2002jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
FSM says causes are as follows. (05MY KJ FSM but it should be the same for this)

1) spark plugs

2) dirt in fuel system

3) burned, warped or pitted valves

4) faulty coil - (coil resistance should be .06-.09ohms primary and 6'000-9000 ohms secondary resistance.

That said, a buddy I wheel with has an 03 with codes 0305 and 0306 showing up intermittantly on #5 and #6. We swapped the coil paks, changed the plugs, checked and double checked coil pak wireing, etc and it still does it on occassion. He changed the gas brand too.

It runs just like it was a new vehicle so we don't think it is a valve or internal problem so we are stumped. We havn't had a professional look at it because it is running fine, so that's where we are with it. So if this thread turns up something I will be interested too.

Sorry if I didn't help with your problem, but that's where we are with his.
ya i have a misfire in just cylinder 3 and its throwing me off cause i cant figure the ***** out,the jeep place said it was the intake valve but the thing i cant figure out is how do you determine that without taking the head off and looking at it? puzzles me
2002jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

They probably did a compression test.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
2002jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
They probably did a compression test.
im bout to add some restore now haha
2002jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002jeepliberty View Post
im bout to add some restore now haha
Don't forget to rub the can real good 3x to let the genie out before you stuff him in your motor.....
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
KMD
1976 CJ7 

vacume leak from intake perhaps.
KMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried a cylinder leakdown test? It may not be a leaky head gasket, it may be a valve that isn't turning properly from carbon buildup/etc. If this happens, the shape of the valve head begins to take on a oval shape and it will no longer seal properly. A leakdown test that reveals hissing from the throttle body would be indicative of a bad intake valve.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
SIGP2101
2006 KJ Liberty 

After fighting this same issue for a year doing all possible and suggested I finally fix this problem by switching to 92 octane. Misfire gone forever and she purrs like cat.
SIGP2101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.