Interior Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Interior Light

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 01-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Anthus

Interior Light

We recently bought my daughter a 2002 Liberty Sport for her first car.
It runs well, but has some things I need to sort out.

First of all is the interior lights. When the doors open no lights come on. I'm assuming there should be lights when the doors open.

The map lights work, if you push them, they come on. Should these be coming on when the doors open?
I know there is an issue with the cargo light not working, I just haven't had time to trace the wiring to see what's disconnected there. Maybe this is related?

The dash lights work, and I've verified that the dimmer is set the whole way up, so they aren't turned off here. Also, I've checked the fuses and not noticed any blown ones.

Anything else that I should check?

Thanks!

Anthus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthus View Post
We recently bought my daughter a 2002 Liberty Sport for her first car.
It runs well, but has some things I need to sort out.

First of all is the interior lights. When the doors open no lights come on. I'm assuming there should be lights when the doors open.

The map lights work, if you push them, they come on. Should these be coming on when the doors open?
I know there is an issue with the cargo light not working, I just haven't had time to trace the wiring to see what's disconnected there. Maybe this is related?

The dash lights work, and I've verified that the dimmer is set the whole way up, so they aren't turned off here. Also, I've checked the fuses and not noticed any blown ones.

Anything else that I should check?

Thanks!
The map lights and cargo lamp comes on as soon as I open a door on my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD Sport.....they then stay on for a few minutes.

This is controlled by the BCM....controls how long the interior lights must stay on, how long the front lamps must stay on after turning off ignition etc. so possibly you need to have the BCM re-programmed?

The cargo light is basically in parrallel with the map lights so you either have a break in the wiring going to the back or the bulb is blown..the cargo lamp has to be pushed to turn it ON/OFF....the Export models may be different to yours though.
Unread 01-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Anthus

Thanks for the reply!

I thought the map lights should be coming on when the door opens, but I wasn't sure. The cargo light isn't getting power, so I need to trace that, but I "think" it's unrelated to the other issue.
I also thought that maybe there was a problem with the door switches, but the odometer comes on as soon as the door is opened.

I'll see if I can have someone check the BCM. Is there a way to check this at home?
Unread 01-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I thought the map lights should be coming on when the door opens, but I wasn't sure. The cargo light isn't getting power, so I need to trace that, but I "think" it's unrelated to the other issue.
I also thought that maybe there was a problem with the door switches, but the odometer comes on as soon as the door is opened.

I'll see if I can have someone check the BCM. Is there a way to check this at home?
I believe you will need the Dealers to program the BCM with their special equipment.

Have you tried all combinations of having the map lights pushed ON/Off? Maybe the lights are turned OFF so opening a door will not do anything.

I have just now gone to my 2002 CRD Export.

I opened the Driver door and the map lights light lit up as expected.
I pushed once on each map lamp and closed the door....the map lights stayed on for about 4 minutes then went out.

Now when I open any door I have the same situation as you have ie. no lights come on!

So if I wish the lights to come on when I open the doors...I will have to give each map light another click!
Unread 01-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
Anthus

That might be the problem. I did't know it worked that way.
I'll try it out tonight and see.
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:52 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
That might be the problem. I did't know it worked that way.
I'll try it out tonight and see.
Yep this morning I opened the door...no lights came on as expected.
Pushed both Map lights once...lights came on for about a minute.
Now when I open the door the lights come on for about 4 minutes.
This was all done without the ignition being ON.

This may actually be in the Owners Manual but I have not looked.....do you have an Owners Manual? They hide it inside the glove box, horizontal right at the top.

Many KJ owners only found their Owners Manual years later
Unread 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Anthus

Okay, opened door and turned on the map lights.

They stayed on for several minutes and then turned off. Then opened door and they remained off. Pressed the map lights several times and they would not turn on. Started car and then they would once again turn on.

I'm wondering if maybe one of the door sensors are broken in the open position and the lights stay on long enough to enter a power save mode or something...
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
c4yourself2
2002 KJ Liberty 

I believe there is a known problem with the interior lights of the Liberty's. I've only drove mine a total of 150 miles so far and the interior lights will come on randomly for no reason.

Chuck
c4yourself2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 03:14 AM   #9
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Okay, opened door and turned on the map lights.

They stayed on for several minutes and then turned off. Then opened door and they remained off. Pressed the map lights several times and they would not turn on. Started car and then they would once again turn on.

I'm wondering if maybe one of the door sensors are broken in the open position and the lights stay on long enough to enter a power save mode or something...
This is possible, the door switches are actually built into the door lock mechanism...not a seperate switch sensing that the door is closed.

This could confuse the BCM horribly....maybe check out the switches by using the circuit diagrams from the 2002 KJ Service Manual which you can download here, may also have an explaination of how the lights are supposed to work!

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Anthus

Excellent, thanks for the link.

I'll try to troubleshoot the switches this weekend.
Unread 01-22-2015, 05:24 AM   #11
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Excellent, thanks for the link.

I'll try to troubleshoot the switches this weekend.
Normally if a door is open while engine is running you will get a "Door" message displayed in the Odometer readout so it seems strange that a door switch may be faulty...more likely a problem with the switches inside the bulb housing or a BCM coding error I think.
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Anthus

You're right. It's not the door switches. When I open the doors or the rear glass or gate, the appropriate messages appear on the console.

I'm leaning toward the BCM now. I think I'm going to get a OBD2 cable for my laptop and pull the codes. Hopefully the BCM codes can be pulled via OBD2.
Unread 01-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #13
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
You're right. It's not the door switches. When I open the doors or the rear glass or gate, the appropriate messages appear on the console.

I'm leaning toward the BCM now. I think I'm going to get a OBD2 cable for my laptop and pull the codes. Hopefully the BCM codes can be pulled via OBD2.

I dont think the BCM gives out codes....only the PCM/ECM/TCM does this.

However I have seen that the BCM definitely controls the interior lights and there is in fact a setting in the BCM to disable the Cargo lamp from ever coming on!
You probably need to have the Dealers re-program the BCM unless you manage to do so with an OBDII connection.

The 2002 KJs use a PCI Bus which makes it difficult to find an OBDII reader that works on them!
Unread 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #14
BIG_J
2005 KJ Liberty 

if you turn the dimmer all the way forward, do the lights come on then?
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
Anthus

turning the dimmer switch the whole way up does not turn on the lights. It does't seem to do anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.