Interior LED issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Interior LED issue

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
LilRipp
2005 KJ Liberty 

Interior LED issue

Hi all ,

I'm new to the forum and just got my '05 KJ a few weeks ago, I haven't really done much to in terms of modding it but I installed some LED's in all the interior (front and both rear dome lights and foot lights) yesterday and the dome lights now stay on while driving

If I lock the car with the FOB and wait approx. 5 sec all the interior lights dim then about 15 sec later they all turn off, and when i unlock it again they all turn on, when i turn the car on and drive away they dim but stay on. Is there a way to fix this or should i go back to stock???

I checked the multi control switch to make sure that its ok and its on the setting right under always on, they turn on when the doors open and dim after a few seconds

any help would be appreciated

LilRipp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

So far just gotta live with the afterglow.It's the BCM that is the issue since it has a load detecting circuit that turns off the interior lights and LED's do not have enough load to completely turn off.There are no load resistors right now that stay cool enough to be used in our interiors without being a concern for starting a fire,the current load resistors get very hot.
Unread 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
jopina7807
2007 KJ Liberty 

I did the same to my 07 Lib a month ago and they stay dim while driving. It used to annoy me like mad but not so bad after a while.
jopina7807 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
jopina7807
2007 KJ Liberty 

Hmm interesting, I might give that try myself.
jopina7807 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
LilRipp
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
#2: Simply keep the 12V light in parallel with the circuit, and hide it, if they fit, up in the roof behind the housing, taped on to the housing. This is what people do, when their turn signals flash too fast, or have cruise control issues with LED brake lights (Chevy SSR has this issue), and DO NOT want to use load resistors. They wire in a standard bulb socket to the same wires, put the bulb in, tape it up, and hide it behind the tail-lamp, so both the LED and factory lights are working together, but you don't see the factory light at all. The BULBS themselves are the "load resistor" for the circuit. You have to take the old dome bulb out to put the LED in right? So why not just remove the bulb holder from the housing, tape it up with some thermal tape, and hide it. Then wire the LED into the thing as you did, and only THAT is what you see. That way, both the factory bulb is still in the circuit, so the BCM sees the original load.

There are your fixes, without LOAD RESISTORS.
what kind of thermal tape do you recommend? I'll see if its not to much work, as the dim is barely noticeable during the day and i don't drive at night to much, i've also heard of people leaving in the back dome light completely. I mounted the led lights directly into the factory holder tho, so would i need to remount them?
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
LilRipp
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
So far just gotta live with the afterglow.It's the BCM that is the issue since it has a load detecting circuit that turns off the interior lights and LED's do not have enough load to completely turn off.There are no load resistors right now that stay cool enough to be used in our interiors without being a concern for starting a fire,the current load resistors get very hot.
But the afterglow won't damage the truck will it? I know that the LED's use significantly less power than the factory bulb and i don't want to have any electrical issues later on
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRipp View Post
But the afterglow won't damage the truck will it? I know that the LED's use significantly less power than the factory bulb and i don't want to have any electrical issues later on
I've been driving mine with the after glow for over a year now,I don't even notice it anymore but I also have a 7" flipout screen and AUX digital gauge screen that are pretty bright anyways at night.

I was kinda pissed at first about till I dug up the info on the load sensing ground circuit in the BCM and didn't care anymore since no safe way to bypass it.
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
LilRipp
2005 KJ Liberty 

ok thanks for the info, i'll keep an eye on this thread incase anything new comes out, I don't mind the afterglow, but i would prefer that the lights turned completely off
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
vivianc
2005 KJ Liberty 

Anyone tried CANBUS LEDs?

Howdy!

Just found this site in search because I have the same issue. I was wondering if anyone had tried the CANBUS LEDs with the built in resistor.

http://www.amazon.com/CanBus-Bulbs-W.../dp/B00697MAMY

It was mentioned earlier that current resistors give off too much heat and can be a fire issue. Does that include these types?

I don't want to burn my jeep. Thanks!
vivianc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dome light , interior lights stay on , led

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.