Interesting tidbit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Interesting tidbit

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Interesting tidbit

The one thing that some jeep owners hold against KJs and KKs has been the front suspension. "No real jeep has front suspension" Ive heard countless times. I always stabbed back, "you wait for the day when the wrangler loses its solid axles". I foresaw it, and alas it may come true. Now we can say, we had IFS jeeps before it became cool!
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...lid-axles.html

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

They made IFS/IRS "Wranglers" 30 years ago.

Google "M151"
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

They also made another jeep back in the 60s I thought that had an IFS. Some jeep history buff could elaborate on that. Only problem with the M151 here, is they never sold them to the public, at least in large scale from what I read.
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did see that yesterday about the possibility that the Wranglers might be destined for IFS in "15" or "16" to help get their CAFE numbers. Pretty sure that will not make a lot of happy campers.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

It was an option on the early Jeep Kaiser wagoneers.

http://hooniverse.com/2011/06/05/hoo...nt-suspension/

Imagine from above, it's a fun read.

82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

There's been a lot of "skuttlebutt" lately about the Wrangler possibly losing the SFA but just rumors. I personally hope the Wrangler stays with the SFA.

Anyway, I knew about the M151 but not the Kaiser.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Had a discussion the other day at the gas station with a " REAL JEEP" owner
you know JK with 4 inch lift , stock spare hanging on the back yet, chrome everything.........
Anyways he mentioned the possibility of IFS and said no real Jeep was ever produced that had IFS OR was there ever two wheel drives until those crappy Libertys came around.
Just had to laugh and told him he better go do some research. Owners like that will not accept them just since they don't know any better
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Lol, I've seen plenty of two wheeled jeeps, especially down south. Is there really this much crying and belly aching in the Toyota camp over the FJ cruiser being IFS? Jeep will eventually come out with an IFS wrangler, they will cry for a month over it, then all of the sudden it will be IFS or bust. How long did they cry over the inline 6 being dropped for a soccer mom engine? Remember, we were IFS before it was cool!lol. Ok well aside from tjkj. He's the black sheep.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I know its so funny to hear some of the arguments, never buying a Jeep again etc.
One guy on Expedition Portal stated that if Jeep went IFS on the Wranglers he was selling his new JK and buying a Toyota Tacoma double cab.........
I think he should of thought about that statement before punching send
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Kind of reminds me of Harley owners(which you can tell I used to be one) and their age old argument about water cooling vs air cooling. The Harley websites would get into a tizzy at the mention of water cooled bikes beyond the Vrod. Basically what it boils down to is this. The mAll terrain offroaders won't be able to look as cool without actual knowledge, insight and money to make a solid axle rig out of a new IFS wrangler. They just want to throw a spacer lift or blow a ton on a real lift, some big wheels and some flashy tires, pretty high lift jack with not a scratch on it, and meticulously clean, and sit on their couch at home photoshopping their rig in MOAB pics,lol. If it's a local rig here in town, then it will sport an "FnJeep" sticker on it as well, because that's what ya gotta do. A bonus is bootlegged ARB stickers on it, reminiscent of the Crane stickers on old redneck beaters. Them folks won't know what to do with an IFS vehicle. Just need to convince more of them to come in for regearing their axles. I could use some work!
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes I owned Harleys from 73 through a couple of years ago. I even knew guys who wouldn't of course ride with anyone who owned a "overseas" bike but wouldn't even if they had a Sportster. And water cooled oh my gawd.
Wonder if it will come down to that , the SFA -vs- the IFS. Amazes me how narrow minded some get.
I've owned 13 Jeeps before this one, and of course every one was SFA. But I've kept this one longer than any of the others since I like the overall size, handling etc and it goes everywhere I need it to.

Fn'ing Jeep .....mmmm good idea
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Fn'ing Jeep .....mmmm good idea
There is a shop/used parts place here in Colorado Springs called "FNJeep",pretty lame.

Granted my KJ is spotless but hey I worked at a bodyshop for some time.It does get wheeled,granted not as much lately as I would like but hopefully in a few weeks it will be retired to bad weather and wheeling only.Just may have a chance to pick up a '03 Town Car for $9000 with 58k on the clock and looks like it just came off the showroom floor.The old guy that owned it before just replaced everything,and I mean everything($6k worth of work) then died.
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I refuse to put an FnJeep sticker on mine. I think that's the first sign of a poser around here, when you see their sticker. I cant imagine someone with that bright orange KJ rolling in a Town Car. You gonna get some double deuces for that thing?lol
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I refuse to put an FnJeep sticker on mine. I think that's the first sign of a poser around here, when you see their sticker. I cant imagine someone with that bright orange KJ rolling in a Town Car. You gonna get some double deuces for that thing?lol
X2 on never putting a FNJeep sticker on,my gas mileage stickers are good enough.

Oh and no mods at all on the Town Car besides a remote start since it has leather seats,the only thing I hate about it.
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes we'll need a photo of Troy floating around in a Town car for sure!

Now back to the sticker, at least when you see that sticker you know to make a wide turn around them, so yep a good idea to mark them !!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.