Interesting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Interesting issues

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
john1969
2003 KJ Liberty 

Interesting issues

128,000 miles. When I'm driving and am doing 40 MPH and the TAC happens to be 1300-1400 RPM's (only happens on flat straightaway) my engine seems to want to cut out and buck a little as if it's not getting gas/air etc. Has this happened to anyone?
I've changed PCV, air cleaner. Had a good mechanic clean the throttle body/intake. I've run HEAT to remove moisture and some Lucas (add to gas) cleaner. I get no engine light, but am somewhat concerned.

john1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How long since you replaced the plugs and if recent what brand and type
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
john1969
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
How long since you replaced the plugs and if recent what brand and type
Hate to admit it plugs and wires over 60.000 miles. Plugs NGK, wires unknown, but must be good to last this long! What wires do you all recommend?
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

60,000??
Way over due by at least 30,000 miles
If 3.7 then no plug wires , coils sit right on the plug
Only copper plugs needed , I run Champion some will say have to run NGK, but I've ran the same kind since the first swap and have over 185,000 miles on mine. Also change them out way before 60,000
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yep what tom said, every 30k miles on plugs, replace them with copper, NGK, or Champion, and gapped to spec on the emissions sticker.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
john1969
2003 KJ Liberty 

New plugs were installed and still getting same issues! Also getting some grinding/vibration. I'm starting to guess this is an overdrive or transmission type issue. No warning lights either. This is confusing!! I miss my '88 Larado.
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
john1969
2003 KJ Liberty 

S o s

My trans. fluid turning brown! More like gold for now. Just came from Jeep dealer. They searched for and got no codes of any kind!!! They said flush would be a waste and recommend a rebuilt or used transmission!
Dealer also did a index check?? On the fluid. No issue there. I followed the book but they kind of blame me because I (should have) changed the fluid at 60,000. Been changed once since I have owned it. I should be good to go. W.T.F,
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Clockworkorange
2006 KJ Liberty 

I think it is a transmission issue but not necessarily an actual problem. My 06 does the same thing at the same approx speed. What I think is happening is the trans is saying, do I want to be in this gear or shift up, do I want to be in this gear or shift up. So the trans is doing this little dance and I always thought that it was potentially wearing on the bands ( or whatever) in the transmission.
What I do is hit that button on the left side of the shifter to stop the trans from going into overdrive. That cures the problem. Just remember to hit the button again once you are going fast enough that that problem is not an issue.

Where I live I have to travel at that speed a lot so I am constantly using that button to take out the overdrive. You don't really need o/d at that low a speed anyway.

This all assumes that your 03 has the aforementioned button.
Clockworkorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
USPLiberty

As you are not getting any codes and your engine is not completely cutting out, it sounds like the Liberty "burp". There is a peculiarity with the Liberty transmissions where the computer can't decide what gear to be in. It probably would not have been an issue if Chrysler just went with a real 5 speed instead of mating the 3.7L V-6 with a 4 speed. I get that "burp" sometimes but at 58-60mph. I have the 45RFE transmission. You may have the 42RLE.
Change the fluid if it is brown, the fresh fluid color is deep red and it changes color to orange-ish brown when it's time to change. and only use the correct ATF +4. Chrysler transmission don't like "equivalents".
USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.