installing splash guards...How do I remove plastic rivet... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > installing splash guards...How do I remove plastic rivet...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 01-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Dupe

installing splash guards...How do I remove plastic rivet...

Hi

I bought the mopar splash guards for my 02 sport. The directions are self explanitory with the exception of how to remove the plastic press-stud. Has anyone done this, i don't want to damage anything?

Thanks

Dupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Steven73

drilling through plastic rivets when installing splashguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupe
Hi

I bought the mopar splash guards for my 02 sport. The directions are self explanitory with the exception of how to remove the plastic press-stud. Has anyone done this, i don't want to damage anything?

Thanks
I've done it, and it's really simple. First of all you should have received a set of picture instructions with the splashguards. Using the proper drill bit, just drill the plastic rivet right out. It just melts away under the drill bit, and is easily removed. Good luck with your installation, and remember to follow those instructions exactly, and you'll have no problems.
Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Dupe

I guess I'm going to have to take the tire off then? I'll let you know how it goes
Unread 01-29-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
valvestem

Plastic Rivet

Use a pair "Sidecutter's" to get under the rivet head and simply snip it off. You may still have to remove the tire to drill some holes for the new mounting screws on the flaps. I started my mount last fall and stopped when I saw I'd have to remove the tire to fit a drill in the wheelwell.
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Hand's End

If you turn your wheels like in the instructions you don't need to remove tires. I installed all four w/o removing any tires... They went on pretty quick and look good.

oh and use the diagnal cutters to snip off the rivets, quick and easy....
Hand's End is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Steven73

don't need to remove tires

I never removed tires to put my splashguards on either. I almost did, and then decided to turn the front wheels to give more clearance. I never had a problem fitting my drill in place on either the front or the back. Just make sure you use the correct size drill bits. You are required to use different sizes, so make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. Mine went on, look good, and work well. It's one addition I made, that I'm super glad I did. It's already saved my rocker panels from getting gravel chipped. I'm also real happy with the front end bug/stone deflector. It was easy to install, looks good, and has saved my front end from getting gravel chipped as well. Very worthwhile investments.
Steven73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.